KISS finally gets nominated...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, I would be. They aren't influential, they don't have any legitimate critical standing. I don't think it's any kind of sure thing, because all they've done is sell a bunch of records, and stay together for a long time. There's got to be something more than that.

I would be surprised if they made cause they suck, but I would not be surprised if they made it cause the Rock and Roll HoF apparently doesn't consider sucking a mark against.

I am well aware of Desmond Child...and the likes of Diane Warren greatly diminshed my respect for Aerosmith. So, sorry I slagged Madonna, I just don't think she belongs in the Rock and Roll HOF, because her music to me is not Rock and Roll...and her erary stuff was largely composed by hitmakers, only once she got established did she begin collaborating on most of her stuff.

Not true. She wrote Everybody, Burnin' Up, Lucky Star, Angel, Into The Groove, Open Your Heart, Live To Tell, True Blue, and La Isla Bonita. The ones she didn't have a hand in were Borderline, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, and Holiday. So she still wrote 2/3 of those early hits.

From Like a Prayer onward, she has credit on every track she's recorded, with the exception of the song Bjork wrote for her, the new song written by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice for the Evita film, and the Stephen Sondheim songs from Dick Tracy.

Not true. She wrote Everybody, Burnin' Up, Lucky Star, Angel, Into The Groove, Open Your Heart, Live To Tell, True Blue, and La Isla Bonita. The ones she didn't have a hand in were Borderline, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, and Holiday. So she still wrote 2/3 of those early hits.

Those 4 are arguably her 4 best known songs from that era.(Certainly LaV and MG are her 2 best known songs of all time) Also she didn't write Crazy For You, another big hit from the 80's...but I digress, how about we agree to remove her from the RnR HOF and induct her into the Songwriters HOF right next to Bobby Zimmerman. :wink:

I realize it's called Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, but I think that title sometimes gets taken a bit too literally.

While rock and roll is the primary form of music the HOF specializes in, they have recognized artists from all genres all along. That's why I don't understand why people argue that Madonna shouldn't be included, or hip hop doesn't belong. If you dislike the artist, fine, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the reasons why they should or shouldn't be there.

This isn't pointed at you, Hewson. Just a general comment.

I realize it's called Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, but I think that title sometimes gets taken a bit too literally.

While rock and roll is the primary form of music the HOF specializes in, they have recognized artists from all genres all along. That's why I don't understand why people argue that Madonna shouldn't be included, or hip hop doesn't belong. If you dislike the artist, fine, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the reasons why they should or shouldn't be there.

This isn't pointed at you, Hewson. Just a general comment.
And I don't have any actual dislike for Madonna, my vitriol is more directed at the buffoons on the RnR HOF induction committee, I'm just using Madonna as an example. Its fine to allow her and Run DMC and such in, but the until very recently almost complete exclusion of anyone who plays anything hard (God forbid metal) with the exception of Led Zeppelin just has always bugged me.

And I don't have any actual dislike for Madonna, my vitriol is more directed at the buffoons on the RnR HOF induction committee, I'm just using Madonna as an example. Its fine to allow her and Run DMC and such in, but the until very recently almost complete exclusion of anyone who plays anything hard (God forbid metal) with the exception of Led Zeppelin just has always bugged me.

Add progressive rock to that, too. I agree.

Here's my take, and I was surprised to find that I agree with the vast majority. It's only the past few years that the selections have just gotten goofy. And after wasting a bunch of time on this I realized that my problem with the joint is on who is NOT there, ie Pixies, Jane's Addiction, No punk other than the Clash and Sex Pistols (who are kinda borderline as they only have 1 album), no Metal beyond Metallica, No New Wave? Really? Nothing from the Manchester Invasion days?

Either way, I still don't like the place.

2009Inductees:

Jeff Beck
Meh
Little Anthony & the Imperials
No opinion
Metallica
OK
Run-D.M.C.
OK
Bobby Womack
Who?
Wanda Jackson
Who?
Bill Black
Who?
DJ Fontana
Who?
Spooner Oldham
Who?

Performer
John Mellencamp
Meh
Leonard Cohen
Maybe
Madonna
OK
The Dave Clark Five
Huh?
The Ventures
Huh?
Performer
Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
OK
Patti Smith
I guess
R.E.M.
Overrated
The Ronettes
Maybe
Van Halen
Ugh, but ok

Performer
Black Sabbath
Of course
Blondie
Yes
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Meh, but OK
Miles Davis
Yes
Sex Pistols
Yes
Buddy Guy
OK
Percy Sledge
OK
The O'Jays
OK
The Pretenders
Meh, but OK
U2
I'll give you this one….

Performer

Bob Seger
Dear God
George Harrison
Of course
Jackson Browne
Please
Prince
Yes
The Dells
Who?
Traffic
Overrated
ZZ Top
Seriously?

Performer
AC/DC
Suck
Elvis Costello & the Attractions
OK
Righteous Brothers
OK
The Clash
Of course
The Police
No

Brenda Lee
Who
Gene Pitney
ok
Isaac Hayes
Yes
Ramones
Yes
Talking Heads
Meh, ok
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Ummm, no

Aerosmith
Fine
Michael Jackson
Yes
Paul Simon
Yes
Queen
Yes
Ritchie Valens
One hit wonder
Solomon Burke
Who?
Steely Dan
Fucking HATE them
The Flamingos
Who?

Bonnie Raitt
Ugh
Earth, Wind & Fire
Sure
Eric Clapton
I don't think he's all that great, but ok
James Taylor
Meh
Lovin' Spoonful
Meh
The Moonglows
Who?

Early Influence
Billie Holiday
Yes
Nat "King" Cole
Yes

Billy Joel
Long Island, Represent
Bruce Springsteen
Sure
Curtis Mayfield
Yes
Del Shannon
Yes
Dusty Springfield
Yes
Paul McCartney
Yes
The Staple Singers
ok

Non-Performer
George Martin
Of course

Fleetwood Mac
Ugh
Gene Vincent
Who
Lloyd Price
Who
Santana
Ugh
The Eagles
fucking HATE them
The Mamas and the Papas
ok

Early Influence
Jelly Roll Morton
Dude's name is Jelly Roll - of course you induct him.
Buffalo Springfield
OK
Crosby Stills and Nash
OK
Joni Mitchell
Yes
Parliament-Funkadelic
Yes, and the should have their own Goddamn Wing
The (Young) Rascals
OK
The Bee Gees
Meh
The Jackson Five
Yes

Performer
David Bowie
YES
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Meh
Jefferson Airplane
Ugh
Little Willie John
Who
Pink Floyd
YES
The Shirelles
OK
The Velvet Underground
YES

Early Influence
Pete Seeger
OK

Al Green
YES
Frank Zappa
YES
Janis Joplin
YES
Led Zeppelin
YES
Martha and the Vandellas
YES
Neil Young
Ugh
The Allman Brothers Band
Ugh Ugh

Performer

Bob Marley
YES
Duane Eddy
YES
Elton John
YES
John Lennon
YES
Rod Stewart
YES
The Animals
YES
The Band
Meh
The Grateful Dead
YES
Willie Dixon
Yep
Cream
OK
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Meh but ok
Etta James
ok
Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
ok
Ruth Brown
Who
Sly and the Family Stone
Yes
The Doors
ok
Van Morrison
Sure

Performer
Bobby "Blue" Bland
Yes
Booker T. and the M.G.'s
Yes
Johnny Cash
Yes
Sam and Dave
Yes
The Isley Brothers
Yes
The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Yes
The Yardbirds
Yes

Performer
Ike and Tina Turner
Yes
Jimmy Reed
Yes
John Lee Hooker
Yes
LaVern Baker
Yes
The Byrds
Yes
The Impressions
Yes
Wilson Pickett
Yes

Performer
Bobby Darin
Yes
Hank Ballard
Yes
Simon and Garfunkel
Yes
The Four Seasons
Yes
The Four Tops
Yes
The Kinks
Yes
The Platters
Yes
The Who
Ugh, but yes

Early Influence
Louis Armstrong
Hell yes.

Performer
Dion
Yes
Otis Redding
Yes
Stevie Wonder
Yes
The Rolling Stones
Yes
The Temptations
Yes

Performer
Bob Dylan
Yes
The Beach Boys
Yes
The Beatles
Yes
The Drifters
Yes
The Supremes
Yes

Performer
Aretha Franklin
Yes
B.B. King
Yes
Big Joe Turner
Yes
Bill Haley
Yes
Bo Diddley
Yes
Carl Perkins
Yes
Clyde McPhatter
Yes
Eddie Cochran
Yes
Jackie Wilson
Yes
Marvin Gaye
Yes
Muddy Waters
Yes
Ricky Nelson
Yes, but after what his two goofy kids did, this should be revoked
Roy Orbison
Yes
Smokey Robinson
Yes
The Coasters
Yes

Performer
Buddy Holly
Yes
Chuck Berry
Yes
Elvis Presley
Yes
Fats Domino
Yes
James Brown
Yes
Jerry Lee Lewis
Yes
Little Richard
Yes
Ray Charles
Yes
Sam Cooke
Yes
The Everly Brothers
Yes

So what if they're collaborations? It's not like she simply writes the words; she's very involved with the musical direction and arrangements. She finds producers that she admires and shapes the sound of her albums with them.

Yeah she writes with others - but have another listen to the 'Like A Prayer' album - there is no way that at least 95% of that came directly from her regardless of what is written in the credits.

Wow, you've convinced me.

megaeyeroll.gif

Didn't see this thread or the nominees til today.

ABBA
The Chantels
Jimmy Cliff
Genesis :up: (Finally)
The Hollies
Kiss (yeah, probably about time, whether you like them or not)
LL Cool J (Mama said knock you out) Really? Nominated before many others, like Rush, Yes, Chicago,...
Darlene Love
Laura Nyro
Red Hot Chili Peppers :hmm:
The Stooges
Donna Summer

I think it's pretty safe to say that LL Cool J won't get in this year.

But he has been around for a WHILE; actually put out his first album two years before Public Enemy's debut. And I'd rather see him in there than Will Smith, for example.

I can see the headlines now:

Five inductees from this year's list of nominees have been selected for induction:

ABBA
The Chantels
LL Cool J
Laura Nyro
Donna Summer

:rockon:

The Hollies are awesome, but their nomination really seems like an instance of an artist making the cut simply by having a few hits during an era of great interest to pop music historians. The Association for 2011 :rockon:

Bus stop, wet day, she's there, I say, "Please share my umbrella."

Gold, though pales in comparison to future inductee Rihanna'a "umbrella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella ella"

The Stooges? Anyone? That would include Iggy, who isn't in the Hall yet?

Bullshit.

Beyond the easy picks from the first couple years, it's turned into the The Homogenized Rock with Some Awesome Sprinkled in There Hall of Fame. HRwSASiTHOF for you acronym junkies out there.

Back
Top Bottom