kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love how all of the people who shit on certain bands weren't even close to existence when said bands were more popular/active. Like say The Eagles or John Mellancamp or even AC/DC.

Don't shit on Mellancamp just because Chevy decided to use his song in their spots for 3 years. Chevy did more to help promote him than his own record company. Nothing wrong with that at all.

But, I know this is the internet and it seems like people really get their jollies hating on bands/artists. Especially artists they weren't even around to see.

As for Kiss, they're definitely not my bag, but I won't waste my time hating on them.

On an somewhat unrelated note, do you think that Liv Tyler is in those videos with Alicia Silverstone because Steven Tyler is her father? Or is it just some crazy coincidence, like how Lincoln and Kennedy both have 7 letters and both got shot?

Beav - Liv is an elven princess. She reaches a different demographic.

Pfan - the kid's logic is terrible and I disagree with his opinion, but you gotta respect a guy that will try to argue in a language that isn't his native tongue.

Don't shit on Mellancamp just because Chevy decided to use his song in their spots for 3 years. Chevy did more to help promote him than his own record company. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Isn't selling your song to a corporation for a commercial selling out in its purest form? Should we praise him for this?

On an somewhat unrelated note, do you think that Liv Tyler is in those videos with Alicia Silverstone because Steven Tyler is her father? Or is it just some crazy coincidence, like how Lincoln and Kennedy both have 7 letters and both got shot?
Similarities Between the Assassinations of Kennedy and Lincoln - Succeed through Studying History: School for Champions
Lincoln
Kennedy

Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846
Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946

He was elected President in 1860
He was elected President in 1960

His wife lost a child while living in the White House
His wife lost a child while living in the White House

He was directly concerned with Civil Rights
He was directly concerned with Civil Rights

Lincoln had a secretary named Kennedy who told him not to go to the theater *1
Kennedy had a secretary named Lincoln who told him not to go to Dallas *2

Lincoln was shot in the back of the head in the presence of his wife
Kennedy was shot in the back of the head in the presence of his wife

Lincoln shot in the Ford Theatre
Kennedy shot in a Lincoln, made by Ford

He was shot on a Friday
He was shot on a Friday

The assassin, John Wilkes Booth, was known by three names, comprised of fifteen letters
The assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald, was known by three names, comprised of fifteen letters

Booth shot Lincoln in a theater and fled to a warehouse *3
Oswald shot Kennedy from a warehouse and fled to a theater

Booth was killed before being brought to trial
Oswald was killed before being brought to trial

There were theories that Booth was part of a greater conspiracy
There were theories that Oswald was part of a greater conspiracy

Lincoln's successor was Andrew Johnson, born in 1808
Kennedy's successor was Lyndon Johnson, born in 1908

Isn't selling your song to a corporation for a commercial selling out in its purest form? Should we praise him for this?

Well, no. But I think it is possible excel at selling out. That is, managing to promote your music to a wider audience without tarnishing your legacy in the process. He, of course, failed because he chose a shitty song that makes me never want to listen to another Mellencamp song under any circumstances, though I remind myself that he hasn't always sucked as much as he does on that commercial. That's a bad song choice.

I don't mind something like Phoenix giving 1901 to a car commercial because now everyone knows about Phoenix, which I think is a good thing.

But if you're already established or your music sucks, stay away.

I can't understand Mellencamp being in there, or Tom Petty either, for that matter, and while I can't say I'm really fans of either of them, I don't mind them. I have the first few albums of each of them. Petty's Damn the Torpedoes is a great album, and everyone had Mellencamp's American Fool.

Well, no. But I think it is possible excel at selling out. That is, managing to promote your music to a wider audience without tarnishing your legacy in the process. He, of course, failed because he chose a shitty song that makes me never want to listen to another Mellencamp song under any circumstances, though I remind myself that he hasn't always sucked as much as he does on that commercial. That's a bad song choice.

This.

I own a few Mellencamp albums, and VP has a good point in that he's basically on the level of Tom Petty, who has no more right to be in the hall of fame. But he's not as awful as that commercial would suggest.

Petty >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mellencamp

In my opinion.

(Those greater than signs are kind of obnoxious, i know, but it's what the kids are doing these days I think)

oh nows its petty vs mellencamp. lets just rename this thread the HOF battle royal. I mean, someone thinks the eagles shouldn't be in? really? hey, no one has mentioned hall & oats or Chicago yet? they are not in. i know Chicago isn't.

Those videos are in my "self-love" hall of fame. I sent many potential children to a watery grave watching those videos.

Thats the second sig worthy gem from you in under a week. take a gold star. and some myrrh and frankincense too, whatever the fuck those are

This.

I own a few Mellencamp albums, and VP has a good point in that he's basically on the level of Tom Petty, who has no more right to be in the hall of fame. But he's not as awful as that commercial would suggest.

His best days were behind him long before that commercial aired. I have American Fool and Uh-Huh, and then sort of lost interest after that. I'm kind of surprised I never picked up Scarecrow though, that seems to be a solid album.

I love how all of the people who shit on certain bands weren't even close to existence when said bands were more popular/active. Like say The Eagles or John Mellancamp or even AC/DC.

Boom. Can't argue with that. I guess I'm not supposed to have an opinion on anyone who came before my time?

I mean, supporting The Beatles? I wasn't even there!

oh nows its petty vs mellencamp. lets just rename this thread the HOF battle royal. I mean, someone thinks the eagles shouldn't be in? really? hey, no one has mentioned hall & oats or Chicago yet? they are not in. i know Chicago isn't.

Hall & Oates aren't in? That's kind of fucked up. They're the biggest selling duo of all time in the U.S., if I'm not mistaken, and their white boy soul was pretty distinct from every one of their contemporaries. The guys were great songwriters as well.

His best days were behind him long before that commercial aired. I have American Fool and Uh-Huh, and then sort of lost interest after that. I'm kind of surprised I never picked up Scarecrow though, that seems to be a solid album.

Scarecrow is a great album, and many Mellencamp fans feel The Lonesome Jubilee is his best. I personally prefer 1991's harder-rocking Whenever We Wanted, which is extremely underrated, and the first album after he dropped the "Cougar". It did very well with the critics at the time, if I remember correctly.

It should also be mentioned that Kenny Aronoff, Mellencamp's longtime drummer, is one of the best in the business.

Boom. Can't argue with that. I guess I'm not supposed to have an opinion on anyone who came before my time?

I mean, supporting The Beatles? I wasn't even there!

We can't officially root for any artist until when? 2016?

Mark your calendar, Pfan.

Also, I think that King Crimson, Yes, Cat Stevens, ELO, Brian Eno, Quincy Jones, Journey, and Sonic Youth should get in at some point, in addition to Hall & Oates. Private eyes *clap clap* are watching you!

You should. That period of his from American Fool to The Lonesome Jubilee was pretty good.

Hall & Oates aren't in? That's kind of fucked up. They're the biggest selling duo of all time in the U.S., if I'm not mistaken, and their white boy soul was pretty distinct from every one of their contemporaries. The guys were great songwriters as well.

This.

Scarecrow is a great album, and many Mellencamp fans feel The Lonesome Jubilee is his best. I personally prefer 1991's harder-rocking Whenever We Wanted, which is extremely underrated, and the first album after he dropped the "Cougar". It did very well with the critics at the time, if I remember correctly.

It should also be mentioned that Kenny Aronoff, Mellencamp's longtime drummer, is one of the best in the business.

Again, agreed. Whenever We Wanted was the last Mellencamp album that I cared for, although Human Wheels had its moments.

The only album of his that I've heard in full is Scarecrow, and it's pretty damn fine for what it is. No idea why he chose to become Toby Keith, but his lyrics weren't always such crap.

Re: Petty, I don't think he was far more significant than Mellencamp, but I think it's fair to say that Petty at least showed more versatility throughout his career than the other. Of course, I will admit to my biases: I am a huge fan. Up to and including Hard Promises, I think the Heartbreakers were pretty much unstoppable. And, as a solo act, Full Moon Fever has those singles, and Wildflowers is pretty excellent as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom