kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what doesn't make sense? you come off like you don't like mainstream music. And that's fine. Thats not what this is about. I'm saying you should be able to recognize what aerosmith has accomplshed in their "world" and see why they would be in the HOF. Ironicaly, i don't think rush should be in. They are borderline. Also,i agree with velvet underground being in and also think slayer should be in. Those bands have in my estimation have the some of the greatest underground reputations/influence of all time. I don't like nickleback too much but yes, if they release 4 more albums that are as successful as the last one, then yes they proly are gonna to be nominated. I;m not gonna be shocked.

I was talking about the sentence itself, not your underlying meaning.

My five favorite artists are The Beatles, U2, Radiohead, David Bowie, and Bob Dylan. I like my share of "the mainstream," but don't swim exclusively in it.

I don't know why I'm continuing this conversation.

to be honest these conversations would proly work better if this was in person. I can't seem to get my point across due to my typing and grammar disability. As well i'm limited to how i can get my point across due to my lack of command of words. Not that more people would agree with me , but i think we would have a better understanding.

I won't be seen in public with people who listen to Aerosmith (or Nickelback), so that would be a little difficult.

i hate nickelback with an absolute passion, but i will admit i liked How You Remind Me... does that count?

or would you not want to be seen with me in public anyway?

what doesn't make sense? you come off like you don't like mainstream music. And that's fine. Thats not what this is about. I'm saying you should be able to recognize what aerosmith has accomplshed in their "world" and see why they would be in the HOF. Ironicaly, i don't think rush should be in. They are borderline. Also,i agree with velvet underground being in and also think slayer should be in. Those bands have in my estimation have the some of the greatest underground reputations/influence of all time. I don't like nickleback too much but yes, if they release 4 more albums that are as successful as the last one, then yes they proly are gonna to be nominated. I;m not gonna be shocked.

Aerosmith being the in the same Hall of Fame as The Velvet Underground is a contradiction.

so you don't believe aerosmith has been successful over their 35 years? don't think they deserve any credit for making hits for so long? I mean, if making music thats not "deep" like the VU is so easy then why dosn't every clown who ever played in their parents basement that tried to form a band have a hit?

They were the biggest band in the world for a several year stretch (how many bands get their own arcade game?),.

YouTube - Journey the Escape Video Game Promo 1983

what about 2 games?
aerosmith%20flyer--article_image.jpg

Guitar-Hero-Aerosmith.jpg

Bonus Track:
kiss_1.jpg

so you don't believe aerosmith has been successful over their 35 years? don't think they deserve any credit for making hits for so long? I mean, if making music thats not "deep" like the VU is so easy then why dosn't every clown who ever played in their parents basement that tried to form a band have a hit?

I have no idea what the hell you're talking about with this basement band bullshit, but I think it's pretty obvious what I'm saying: VU had no commercial success but were highly influential, while Aerosmith were commercially successfully but didn't innovate or influence for shit.

ask a bunch of post 70's hard rock artists if aerosmith wasn't a influence on them. I mean, are you fucking kidding? but lets go with what you said for a sec.. VU -no sales success,massive influence. aerosmith= massive sales, no influence. great. i say ok. If we go with the idea that the aerosmith was as commercially successful as VU was influential, then both belong in for attaining a high level of accomplishment. one being artistic and one selling records. YES, i award a band with a rock and roll hall of fame entry that manages to be around for over 2 decades (at the time they went in) and sells that many records and has that many hits. No offense buddy, but doing that for over 20 years can't be that easy. believe or not, aerosmith must have done something RIGHT. if nickleback manages to stick for 25 years since thier debut and has aerosmith-like sales, they are going in.

just reading all these replies.

^ has a point there. Nickleback have a right to be in there if they keep this commercial success going, and just because a bunch of you and/or others may think that Aerosmith aren't artisic, or deep, or influential, or whatever doesn't mean they shouldn't go in the hall of fame.

and just because a bunch of you and/or others may think that Aerosmith aren't artisic, or deep, or influential, or whatever doesn't mean they shouldn't go in the hall of fame.

What does that say about the HOF?

let me ask some of you people something. Outside of being the first everything, how deep and artistic are the songs of Elvis Presley? you act like rock music was founded on the likes of the VU and then some band came along and made it commercial etc. We wouldn't be here or have a rock and hall of fame if it wasn't for the 50's rock artists. That music was 3 chords,silly lyrics and believe me, COMMERCIAL. When elvis and the Colonel booked a concert,a tv appearance, etc it was to sell records and be as big as possible. You come off, like rock had started out as some underground,bohemian,low life,arty form of music and then was "ruined" by bands like aerosmith. Any documentary i see of 50's rock shows kids dancing and partying to the music. Something that aerosmith is alot closer to then the VU. Being commercial has been part of rock music since day 1. So not wanting to put someone in because they were extremely commercially successful is A LITTLE INSANE, DON'T YOU THINK? I do think the VU should be in. They took a non commercial route. and it worked.

So not wanting to put someone in because they were extremely commercially successful is A LITTLE INSANE, DON'T YOU THINK?

Nobody here would deny a band access to the Rock And Roll HOF because they achieved commercial success. They would be denied because their music is garbage.

the millions of fans that brought said band's albums, say its not garbage. Theirs proly another bands message board right now in their "other artists discussion' saying how full of shit u2 is, what a bunch of losers their fans are, and how did they get into the HOF.

Nobody here would deny a band access to the Rock And Roll HOF because they achieved commercial success. They would be denied because their music is garbage.

Exactly.

Art and commerce rarely collide, and when they do, it's golden. Not that the Hall of Fame should only recognize artists who achieve both, although I do think they should consider the former more than the latter, but that's just me. That doesn't just apply to Aerosmith, by the way.

Ironic the love for the velvet underground when, one of the bands they influenced was the the ramones.A band much loved in the underground. A band that played a form of music that makes joe perry look like joe satriani. If your one of the people on here that is using the velvet underground as the basis for the anti kiss/aerosmith argument but also loves the ramones and thinks they should be in, i wanna hear this fucking explanation.

So not wanting to put someone in because they were extremely commercially successful is A LITTLE INSANE, DON'T YOU THINK?

I said commercial success means bands shouldn't be allowed in?

I mean, I'm shocked by how illogical all of your arguments are, and I really feel like I need to break this down and explain it to you-

Originally posted by allbecauseofu2

Oh, right.

Ironic the love for the velvet underground when, one of the bands they influenced was the the ramones.A band much loved in the underground. A band that played a form of music that makes joe perry look like joe satriani. If your one of the people on here that is using the velvet underground as the basis for the anti kiss/aerosmith argument but also loves the ramones and thinks they should be in, i wanna hear this fucking explanation.

Your posts feature ... MYSTERIOUS!

I need to give you my avatar. You're crushing me like a cheese sandwich.

In all seriousness, I think the idea of a RnRHOF is stupid because music is way too subjective. In sports, at least the statistics mean something. In music, awards and record sales are commonly disputed as measurements of talent, which really means that there isn't any reasonable way to form said Hall of Fame. No two HOFs would look much alike.

That said, Aerosmith still shouldn't be in.

Back
Top Bottom