kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If Nickelback persists for 10 more years, then do they deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame?

I'm really not going to be surprised at all if and when they are inducted. It seems like commercial sustainability has become the most important of the HOF's criteria at this point, and (for reasons unknown) that's something Nickelback has in spades.

So if they broke up circa 1979 and stayed that way, would they be HoF material?
Cause pre-comeback, their work is pretty solid and largely their own writing save a few covers, and far more prolific than the Sex Pistols one album and far more Rock and Roll than Abba's collection of dance odes to bulls and the like.

I'm not going to quote everyone else's responses on this, but I like a good deal of their earlier material. I just don't see what's so special about it. I mean, you want to put The Guess Who in the HOF because they wrote a popular Zeppelin knock-off like American Woman? Sweet Emotion, Dream On and Toys in the Attic just aren't enough for immortality in my opinion.

There should still be some standard of quality and originality, and Aerosmith didn't do anything better than anyone else. It's fucking hesher music. No ground they covered that wasn't already topped by the Stones or Zeppelin.

And personally, I think the Sex Pistols are fucking garbage. Untalented losers that were basically a prolonged publicity stunt, and that sellout reunion tour should have disqualified their anti-establishment credibility for eternity. They should have been lined up against a wall and shot, or at least tarred and feathered.

I don't know what Abba has to do with this. It's already been established that the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame encompasses genres that we wouldn't necessarily consider rock. Abba was a hell of a lot more influential than Aerosmith, at least in terms of bands that don't suck. Aerosmith (and KISS) only influenced people that put out some of the worst fucking music I've ever heard in my life.

I mean, you want to put The Guess Who in the HOF because they wrote a popular Zeppelin knock-off like American Woman?

These Eyes >>>>> American Woman

And The Guess Who had much more success than you're giving them credit for. Even in the States

I'm not going to quote everyone else's responses on this, but I like a good deal of their earlier material. I just don't see what's so special about it. I mean, you want to put The Guess Who in the HOF because they wrote a popular Zeppelin knock-off like American Woman? Sweet Emotion, Dream On and Toys in the Attic just aren't enough for immortality in my opinion.

There should still be some standard of quality and originality, and Aerosmith didn't do anything better than anyone else. It's fucking hesher music. No ground they covered that wasn't already topped by the Stones or Zeppelin.
But following your argument, there are legion of artists currently in the HoF who shouldn't be, and I tend to think thats the case. I think if the HoF really meant something, there'd be maybe 40-50 artists/bands currently enshrined, but unfortunately they need to pop 5 new inductees in annually and the overall quality gets watered down, and the definition of "rock and roll" has been stretched farther than Pamela Des Barres' :censored: backstage at a 70's rock festival.
Based on some of the others inducted, I think Aerosmith is as worthy as any second tier type HoF band, obviously they don't stack up with the Beatles/Stones/Zeppelin types.

And personally, I think the Sex Pistols are fucking garbage. Untalented losers that were basically a prolonged publicity stunt, and that sellout reunion tour should have disqualified their anti-establishment credibility for eternity. They should have been lined up against a wall and shot, or at least tarred and feathered.

On this we can most certainly agree. (maybe not the shot part), they were essentially nothing more than a punk Backstreet Boys or NSync with Malcolm McLaren playing the role of Lou Pearlman.

But following your argument, there are legion of artists currently in the HoF who shouldn't be, and I tend to think thats the case. I think if the HoF really meant something, there'd be maybe 40-50 artists/bands currently enshrined, but unfortunately they need to pop 5 new inductees in annually and the overall quality gets watered down, and the definition of "rock and roll" has been stretched farther than Pamela Des Barres' :censored: backstage at a 70's rock festival.
Based on some of the others inducted, I think Aerosmith is as worthy as any second tier type HoF band, obviously they don't stack up with the Beatles/Stones/Zeppelin types.

Aerosmith is more like third tier (along with bands like Van Halen), and what they've done post-comeback has been essentially middling garbage--if it weren't for Alicia Silverstone and RUN DMC we wouldn't even be discussing them because no one would have cared enough to buy their mid-80's and beyond material.

Sadly, with Aerosmith getting in, it paves the way for other marginally talented hesher bands like Bon Jovi to get consideration, which would be the moment the institution loses all credibility in my opinion. KISS is another precursor to crap like this, and again without their gimmick they're nothing noteworthy.

To be honest, I think a band like Journey has as much of a right to be in the HOF, even if they didn't last as long as Aerosmith. They were the biggest band in the world for a several year stretch (how many bands get their own arcade game?), and a good number of their songs are still loved by many, albeit as guilty pleasures for some. I'd argue that Don't Stop Believing is now bigger than ANY Aerosmith song. And the difference between Journey and Bon Jovi (as well as Aerosmith) is that at least the former didn't have to hire Desmond Child and Diane Warren for help with their big singles.

On this we can most certainly agree. (maybe not the shot part), they were essentially nothing more than a punk Backstreet Boys or NSync with Malcolm McLaren playing the role of Lou Pearlman.

Well-put. And we'll just have to differ on the public execution thing.

The performer inductees are:
GENESIS

Wasn't sure that would ever happen... I have a long list of people who continue to be ignored though. :eyeroll:

As for Kiss and RHCP, I'd say there needs to be three criteria for getting in.

1. Have you released a remarkable body of work?
I can't say either has, to be honest. Feel free to call me on that if you think I'm wrong.

2. Have you been influential and citied by many artists as a source of inspiration?
Maybe but not to a level where heavy comparisons are drawn.

3. Were you ahead of your time or at least a unique sounding artist during your time?
Kiss, definitely no. RHCP, maybe but I don't think I've ever heard them described as being different everyone else.

So their cases aren't exactly blowing me away. If I had a vote, I wouldn't put them in. :shrug:

yea well, i guess i'm on the wrong fucking message board , at least for discussing non u2 bands. Don't think kiss or aerosmith are hof worthy? agree to disagree i guess. Sorry don't exactly run into alot of music fans who think kiss or areosmith,despite some well deserved criticism , are not legendary bands.

Oh, I didn't know being on a U2 board signed me up for automatic KISS/Aerosmith fandom. Awesome.

I don't think it has anything to do with U2 fans and "non-U2 bands", but much more with people who aren't mainstream radio type of music music fans (the types that are much more likely to use the internet so they can find other people to discuss the kind of music they like with, because everyone else they know listens to bands like Aerosmith and KISS).

well then those fans to respect what aerosmith has accomplished in the "mainstream" and not act so surprised when they get in/got nominated.

3. Were you ahead of your time or at least a unique sounding artist during your time?
Kiss, definitely no. RHCP, maybe but I don't think I've ever heard them described as being different everyone else.

How is KISS ahead of their time? Because they wore makeup? There's nothing about their sound that was fresh or original.

RHCP, while being heavily influenced by Parliament Funkadelic and to a lesser extent Fishbone (who is really more of a contemporary of the band), certainly didn't sound like any other rock band at the time, and over the years have carved out a niche that is distinctly theirs. I don't know that they have a consistently great body of work, but they are unique.

How is KISS ahead of their time? Because they wore makeup? There's nothing about their sound that was fresh or original.

RHCP, while being heavily influenced by Parliament Funkadelic and to a lesser extent Fishbone (who is really more of a contemporary of the band), certainly didn't sound like any other rock band at the time, and over the years have carved out a niche that is distinctly theirs. I don't know that they have a consistently great body of work, but they are unique.

Why did you attribute Screwtape's quote to me?

To be honest, I think a band like Journey has as much of a right to be in the HOF, even if they didn't last as long as Aerosmith. They were the biggest band in the world for a several year stretch (how many bands get their own arcade game?), and a good number of their songs are still loved by many, albeit as guilty pleasures for some. I'd argue that Don't Stop Believing is now bigger than ANY Aerosmith song. And the difference between Journey and Bon Jovi (as well as Aerosmith) is that at least the former didn't have to hire Desmond Child and Diane Warren for help with their big singles.

Journey got an arcade game, Aerosmith got a Disney roller coaster.:wink:

I think Dream On may be bigger than Don't Stop Believin', and if not its strictly due to the Sopranos' influence. Journey was no doubt huge from 1981-1985, but don't overlook Aerosmith's popularity from 1973-1979.

Journey probably suffers from basically becoming a cover band of themselves over the years by hiring multiple Steve Perry impersonators.

I'd say they are on a similar plane as you suggest and Journey probably deserves inclusion based upon the other acts already enshrined. Not that I think they are one of the greatest rock bands of all time, but the HoF has become so watered down that they probably do belong. I'd personally rank Aerosmith a tad higher in the annals of rock history than Journey, they'd have been several steps higher without "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing", the worst dreck they ever produced. I prefer to think of them as a band from the 70's with maybe "Pump" thrown in, and forget all the rest.

yea well, i guess i'm on the wrong fucking message board , at least for discussing non u2 bands. Don't think kiss or aerosmith are hof worthy? agree to disagree i guess. Sorry don't exactly run into alot of music fans who think kiss or areosmith,despite some well deserved criticism , are not legendary bands.

I think they're terrible.

what doesn't make sense? you come off like you don't like mainstream music. And that's fine. Thats not what this is about. I'm saying you should be able to recognize what aerosmith has accomplshed in their "world" and see why they would be in the HOF. Ironicaly, i don't think rush should be in. They are borderline. Also,i agree with velvet underground being in and also think slayer should be in. Those bands have in my estimation have the some of the greatest underground reputations/influence of all time. I don't like nickleback too much but yes, if they release 4 more albums that are as successful as the last one, then yes they proly are gonna to be nominated. I;m not gonna be shocked.

what doesn't make sense? you come off like you don't like mainstream music. And that's fine. Thats not what this is about. I'm saying you should be able to recognize what aerosmith has accomplshed in their "world" and see why they would be in the HOF. Ironicaly, i don't think rush should be in. They are borderline. Also,i agree with velvet underground being in and also think slayer should be in. Those bands have in my estimation have the some of the greatest underground reputations/influence of all time. I don't like nickleback too much but yes, if they release 4 more albums that are as successful as the last one, then yes they proly are gonna to be nominated. I;m not gonna be shocked.

You dont think Rush should be in, but you think Nickelback maybe should? Good God, man. Get a hold of yourself

i just said i dont' like nickleback, but said i wouldn't be shocked if they got nominated if they had continued success.

its not about personal taste. I don't rush should be in because their post 70's stuff was good but not great. not great enough to further their legacy. Or let me put it like this. If i was to believe rush should be in, it would be based on the the merit and creditability and influence (on other artists) of their work. If i believe nickleback was to be in, they would have to make up for the merit/creditability/influence on other artists (something they lack for the most part) with outstanding commercial success. To the point where they can't be ignored. How much that is can be debated.

i just said i dont' like nickleback, but said i wouldn't be shocked if they got nominated if they had continued success.

I dont like either band, but you're ignoring how huge Rush was in their day. Also respected. You cant say the same thing for Nickelback

i was waiting for someone to mention something like that. Frankly, to me, the stones glory period is better then rush's. As for nickeback, yea actually they are fairy big. Its just that, they are a love or hate em band. They have no "casual-think they are ok-in the middle fans". So basically they have a far bigger "hate em" group then most bands. Rush in their day did not have such a anti-rush crusade going around. Is rush respected more? yes. I said, nickleback needs to basically have such a crushing amount of commercial success to get in the HOF. Maybe i didn't make the point strong enough . I mean at least 4 albums or more with big numbers. Because, as based on other factors, such as respect,influence, etc , no they would NEVER ever get in.

You gotta be fucking kidding me

Also

Sample lyrics: "Maybe in the parking lot / Better bring your friend along / Better rock together / Than just one at a time / S is for the simplety / E is for the ecstasy / X is just to mark the spot / 'Cause that's the one you really want."

Hes talking about her asshole, right?

Boner : songs about badminton :: Chad Kroeger : songs about blow jobs.

Back
Top Bottom