kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2009, 01:16 AM   #121
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Re: Bowie on the charts

Pretty impressive, considering how weird some of his shit is. Station to Station at #3 and going gold? Low at #11? Even something like Tonight, widely considered one of his worst, hit #11 in the U.S.

Bottom line: his albums went gold (at least) consistently, and debuted in the Top 40 albums, usually higher. That's popular.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 AM   #122
Refugee

Local Time: 01:13 AM
not hard to beat the commercial success of the vu. they had none. lol.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:18 AM   #123
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:13 PM
He had seven #1 albums in the UK, and over 20 top ten albums in the UK. Four top ten albums in the US. And he's had numerous compilation albums sell very well.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:19 AM   #124
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
not hard to beat the commercial success of the vu. they had none. lol.
That reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Only five thousand people ever bought a Velvet Underground album, but every single one of them started a band."
-- Brian (Motherfucking) Eno
Old 12-22-2009, 02:15 AM   #125
45:33

Local Time: 12:13 PM
if i had a dollar for every time i've heard/read that quote...
Old 12-22-2009, 02:43 AM   #126
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:13 PM
Didn't Beano also say that 50 million people bought Shuttlecock albums, but only Cockplay started a band that failed so publicly in an attempt to capture the same magic?
Old 12-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #127
Refugee

Bowie no showed his hof right?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:08 PM   #128
Blue Crack Distributor

Someone I'd argue should be in waaaaaay before Kiss is Alice Cooper. And yet I don't think I've ever heard his name mentioned in relation to the HOF.

Kiss (and Gene Simmons - gag) are very good at marketing, but other than that and dressing up in costumes, what have they brought to music?
Old 12-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #129
Refugee

most hard rock/metal guitarists revere ace frehley and kiss. I have heard this from their own mouths in many interviews. If your looking bash kiss from a no respect from other artists/no influence its not gonna work. They will tell you they brought alot to music, including the reason they themselves play rock to begin with.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #130
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
most hard rock/metal guitarists revere ace frehley and kiss. I have heard this from their own mouths in many interviews. If your looking bash kiss from a no respect from other artists/no influence its not gonna work. They will tell you they brought alot to music, including the reason they themselves play rock to begin with.
Most? You've taken polls? Kept records?

Are you a member of the Kiss Army, perchance?
Old 12-22-2009, 01:34 PM   #131
Refugee

No. More like i listen to interviews of metal/hard rock artists who answer kiss every time they state who the biggest influence is. I have only been hearing this for only the last 15 years. Even a someone like trent renzor has said in interviews kiss got him started down the rock path. Do some research. yea, no hard rock/metal artist respects kiss. sure they don't. wow. Go use the commercial success is not a good way of judging entry into the hall of fame augment like everyone is.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #132
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm fairly certain that I've been doing "some research" since before you were just a gleam in mommy and daddy's eyes. I never said that none of them were influenced by Kiss, but to say all of them were is ridiculous. Come on, it's not like they created an entirely new genre. Not even close.

Do you remember when Kiss broke out? I do; I was young, but I remember. Their marketing and merchandising, even back then, put that of boy bands to shame. Even Kiss owes a debt of gratitude to Alice Cooper, along with early 70's glam rock performers.

Eta - I don't have time to troll the entire internet for quotes, but this is just a sampling from his wiki article:

Quote:

Rob Zombie, former frontman of White Zombie, claims his first "metal moment" was seeing Alice Cooper on Don Kirshner's Rock Concert.[76]

In a 1978 interview with Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan stated, "I think Alice Cooper is an overlooked songwriter".[77]

In the foreword to Alice Cooper's CD retrospective box set The Life and Crimes of Alice Cooper, John Lydon of The Sex Pistols pronounced Killer as the greatest rock album of all time, and in 2002 Lydon presented his own tribute program to Cooper on BBC radio.[78]

The Flaming Lips are longtime Alice Cooper fans and used the bass line from "Levity Ball" (an early song from the 1969 release Pretties for You) for their song "The Ceiling Is Bending". They also covered "Sun Arise" for an Alice Cooper tribute album. (Cooper's version, which closes the album Love It To Death, was itself a cover of a Rolf Harris song.)

In 1999 Cleopatra Records released Humanary Stew: A Tribute to Alice Cooper featuring a number of contributions from rock and metal all-star collaborations, including Dave Mustaine, Roger Daltrey, Ronnie James Dio, Slash, Bruce Dickinson, and Steve Jones.[79] The album was notable for the fact that it was possible to assemble a different supergroup for each cover version on the record, which gave an indication of the depth of esteem in which Cooper is held by other eminent musicians within the music industry.

Heavy metal rocker Jon Mikl Thor, also known as Thor, stated in an interview that Alice Cooper was his idol and hero.

A song by alternative rock group They Might Be Giants from their 1994 album John Henry entitled "Why Must I Be Sad?" mentions 13 Cooper songs, and has been described as being "from the perspective of a kid who hears all of his unspoken sadness given voice in the music of Alice Cooper; Alice says everything the kid has been wishing he could say about his alienated, frustrated, teenage world".[80]

Such unlikely non-musician fans of Cooper included Groucho Marx and Mae West, who both reportedly saw the early shows as a form of vaudeville revue,[81] and artist Salvador Dalí, who on attending a show in 1973 described it as being surreal, and made a hologram, First Cylindric Chromo-Hologram Portrait of Alice Cooper's Brain.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #133
Refugee

oh the old just because i'm old i know everything bullshit. Hey pal, i never said anything bad about alice cooper. he should be in. I never said they invented a genre. But i fully believe most, not all, but most hard rock/metal bands were influenced by kiss. I have heard many artists cite kiss. . You asked the question, what did they bring to music. That seemed to me like you were not gonna give them credit for anything other then the dressing up stuff. The closest i come to agreeing with you is, that alice should be in before kiss. But kiss should be in.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #134
Blue Crack Distributor

You're a pleasant fellow. No wonder so many people in this thread are enjoying their conversations with you. Pal.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:27 PM   #135
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

KISS were toys that played bad music. If there's any HOF they should be in it's the Toys That Play Bad Music Hall of Fame. They should not be in any "real" hall of fame. However, the rock and roll hall of fame being a sort of sham/bullshit anyhow, maybe KISS should be in. I dunno. Bottom line is both KISS and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame suck equally.