kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2009, 07:47 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
How is KISS ahead of their time? Because they wore makeup? There's nothing about their sound that was fresh or original.

RHCP, while being heavily influenced by Parliament Funkadelic and to a lesser extent Fishbone (who is really more of a contemporary of the band), certainly didn't sound like any other rock band at the time, and over the years have carved out a niche that is distinctly theirs. I don't know that they have a consistently great body of work, but they are unique.
Why did you attribute Screwtape's quote to me?

Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post

To be honest, I think a band like Journey has as much of a right to be in the HOF, even if they didn't last as long as Aerosmith. They were the biggest band in the world for a several year stretch (how many bands get their own arcade game?), and a good number of their songs are still loved by many, albeit as guilty pleasures for some. I'd argue that Don't Stop Believing is now bigger than ANY Aerosmith song. And the difference between Journey and Bon Jovi (as well as Aerosmith) is that at least the former didn't have to hire Desmond Child and Diane Warren for help with their big singles.

Journey got an arcade game, Aerosmith got a Disney roller coaster.

I think Dream On may be bigger than Don't Stop Believin', and if not its strictly due to the Sopranos' influence. Journey was no doubt huge from 1981-1985, but don't overlook Aerosmith's popularity from 1973-1979.

Journey probably suffers from basically becoming a cover band of themselves over the years by hiring multiple Steve Perry impersonators.

I'd say they are on a similar plane as you suggest and Journey probably deserves inclusion based upon the other acts already enshrined. Not that I think they are one of the greatest rock bands of all time, but the HoF has become so watered down that they probably do belong. I'd personally rank Aerosmith a tad higher in the annals of rock history than Journey, they'd have been several steps higher without "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing", the worst dreck they ever produced. I prefer to think of them as a band from the 70's with maybe "Pump" thrown in, and forget all the rest.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:35 AM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
yea well, i guess i'm on the wrong fucking message board , at least for discussing non u2 bands. Don't think kiss or aerosmith are hof worthy? agree to disagree i guess. Sorry don't exactly run into alot of music fans who think kiss or areosmith,despite some well deserved criticism , are not legendary bands.
I think they're terrible.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 10:35 AM
what doesn't make sense? you come off like you don't like mainstream music. And that's fine. Thats not what this is about. I'm saying you should be able to recognize what aerosmith has accomplshed in their "world" and see why they would be in the HOF. Ironicaly, i don't think rush should be in. They are borderline. Also,i agree with velvet underground being in and also think slayer should be in. Those bands have in my estimation have the some of the greatest underground reputations/influence of all time. I don't like nickleback too much but yes, if they release 4 more albums that are as successful as the last one, then yes they proly are gonna to be nominated. I;m not gonna be shocked.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:35 AM
Quote:
I don't like nickleback too much but yes, if they release 4 more albums that are as successful as the last one, then yes they proly are gonna to be nominated. I;m not gonna be shocked.
This thread just became awesome.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
what doesn't make sense? you come off like you don't like mainstream music. And that's fine. Thats not what this is about. I'm saying you should be able to recognize what aerosmith has accomplshed in their "world" and see why they would be in the HOF. Ironicaly, i don't think rush should be in. They are borderline. Also,i agree with velvet underground being in and also think slayer should be in. Those bands have in my estimation have the some of the greatest underground reputations/influence of all time. I don't like nickleback too much but yes, if they release 4 more albums that are as successful as the last one, then yes they proly are gonna to be nominated. I;m not gonna be shocked.

You dont think Rush should be in, but you think Nickelback maybe should? Good God, man. Get a hold of yourself
Old 12-18-2009, 02:08 PM   #52
Refugee

i just said i dont' like nickleback, but said i wouldn't be shocked if they got nominated if they had continued success.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #53
Refugee

its not about personal taste. I don't rush should be in because their post 70's stuff was good but not great. not great enough to further their legacy. Or let me put it like this. If i was to believe rush should be in, it would be based on the the merit and creditability and influence (on other artists) of their work. If i believe nickleback was to be in, they would have to make up for the merit/creditability/influence on other artists (something they lack for the most part) with outstanding commercial success. To the point where they can't be ignored. How much that is can be debated.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
i just said i dont' like nickleback, but said i wouldn't be shocked if they got nominated if they had continued success.
I dont like either band, but you're ignoring how huge Rush was in their day. Also respected. You cant say the same thing for Nickelback
Old 12-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
its not about personal taste. I don't rush should be in because their post 70's stuff was good but not great.
By this logic, the Stones shouldnt be in either
Old 12-18-2009, 02:49 PM   #56
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I dont like either band, but you're ignoring how huge Rush was in their day. Also respected. You cant say the same thing for Nickelback
Or can you...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
By this logic, the Stones shouldnt be in either
Not to mention Kiss and Aerosmith...
Old 12-18-2009, 02:55 PM   #58
Refugee

i was waiting for someone to mention something like that. Frankly, to me, the stones glory period is better then rush's. As for nickeback, yea actually they are fairy big. Its just that, they are a love or hate em band. They have no "casual-think they are ok-in the middle fans". So basically they have a far bigger "hate em" group then most bands. Rush in their day did not have such a anti-rush crusade going around. Is rush respected more? yes. I said, nickleback needs to basically have such a crushing amount of commercial success to get in the HOF. Maybe i didn't make the point strong enough . I mean at least 4 albums or more with big numbers. Because, as based on other factors, such as respect,influence, etc , no they would NEVER ever get in.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
Or can you...
You gotta be fucking kidding me

Also

Quote:
Sample lyrics: "Maybe in the parking lot / Better bring your friend along / Better rock together / Than just one at a time / S is for the simplety / E is for the ecstasy / X is just to mark the spot / 'Cause that's the one you really want."
Hes talking about her asshole, right?
Old 12-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #60
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Boner : songs about badminton :: Chad Kroeger : songs about blow jobs.