kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2009, 04:56 AM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
If Nickelback persists for 10 more years, then do they deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame?
I'm really not going to be surprised at all if and when they are inducted. It seems like commercial sustainability has become the most important of the HOF's criteria at this point, and (for reasons unknown) that's something Nickelback has in spades.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
So if they broke up circa 1979 and stayed that way, would they be HoF material?
Cause pre-comeback, their work is pretty solid and largely their own writing save a few covers, and far more prolific than the Sex Pistols one album and far more Rock and Roll than Abba's collection of dance odes to bulls and the like.
I'm not going to quote everyone else's responses on this, but I like a good deal of their earlier material. I just don't see what's so special about it. I mean, you want to put The Guess Who in the HOF because they wrote a popular Zeppelin knock-off like American Woman? Sweet Emotion, Dream On and Toys in the Attic just aren't enough for immortality in my opinion.

There should still be some standard of quality and originality, and Aerosmith didn't do anything better than anyone else. It's fucking hesher music. No ground they covered that wasn't already topped by the Stones or Zeppelin.

And personally, I think the Sex Pistols are fucking garbage. Untalented losers that were basically a prolonged publicity stunt, and that sellout reunion tour should have disqualified their anti-establishment credibility for eternity. They should have been lined up against a wall and shot, or at least tarred and feathered.

I don't know what Abba has to do with this. It's already been established that the "Rock and Roll" Hall of Fame encompasses genres that we wouldn't necessarily consider rock. Abba was a hell of a lot more influential than Aerosmith, at least in terms of bands that don't suck. Aerosmith (and KISS) only influenced people that put out some of the worst fucking music I've ever heard in my life.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #33
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I mean, you want to put The Guess Who in the HOF because they wrote a popular Zeppelin knock-off like American Woman?
These Eyes >>>>> American Woman

And The Guess Who had much more success than you're giving them credit for. Even in the States
Old 12-17-2009, 08:48 AM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I'm not going to quote everyone else's responses on this, but I like a good deal of their earlier material. I just don't see what's so special about it. I mean, you want to put The Guess Who in the HOF because they wrote a popular Zeppelin knock-off like American Woman? Sweet Emotion, Dream On and Toys in the Attic just aren't enough for immortality in my opinion.

There should still be some standard of quality and originality, and Aerosmith didn't do anything better than anyone else. It's fucking hesher music. No ground they covered that wasn't already topped by the Stones or Zeppelin.
But following your argument, there are legion of artists currently in the HoF who shouldn't be, and I tend to think thats the case. I think if the HoF really meant something, there'd be maybe 40-50 artists/bands currently enshrined, but unfortunately they need to pop 5 new inductees in annually and the overall quality gets watered down, and the definition of "rock and roll" has been stretched farther than Pamela Des Barres' backstage at a 70's rock festival.
Based on some of the others inducted, I think Aerosmith is as worthy as any second tier type HoF band, obviously they don't stack up with the Beatles/Stones/Zeppelin types.

Quote:
And personally, I think the Sex Pistols are fucking garbage. Untalented losers that were basically a prolonged publicity stunt, and that sellout reunion tour should have disqualified their anti-establishment credibility for eternity. They should have been lined up against a wall and shot, or at least tarred and feathered.

On this we can most certainly agree. (maybe not the shot part), they were essentially nothing more than a punk Backstreet Boys or NSync with Malcolm McLaren playing the role of Lou Pearlman.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:19 PM   #35
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
On this we can most certainly agree. (maybe not the shot part), they were essentially nothing more than a punk Backstreet Boys or NSync with Malcolm McLaren playing the role of Lou Pearlman.
thank you.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:16 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
But following your argument, there are legion of artists currently in the HoF who shouldn't be, and I tend to think thats the case. I think if the HoF really meant something, there'd be maybe 40-50 artists/bands currently enshrined, but unfortunately they need to pop 5 new inductees in annually and the overall quality gets watered down, and the definition of "rock and roll" has been stretched farther than Pamela Des Barres' backstage at a 70's rock festival.
Based on some of the others inducted, I think Aerosmith is as worthy as any second tier type HoF band, obviously they don't stack up with the Beatles/Stones/Zeppelin types.
Aerosmith is more like third tier (along with bands like Van Halen), and what they've done post-comeback has been essentially middling garbage--if it weren't for Alicia Silverstone and RUN DMC we wouldn't even be discussing them because no one would have cared enough to buy their mid-80's and beyond material.

Sadly, with Aerosmith getting in, it paves the way for other marginally talented hesher bands like Bon Jovi to get consideration, which would be the moment the institution loses all credibility in my opinion. KISS is another precursor to crap like this, and again without their gimmick they're nothing noteworthy.

To be honest, I think a band like Journey has as much of a right to be in the HOF, even if they didn't last as long as Aerosmith. They were the biggest band in the world for a several year stretch (how many bands get their own arcade game?), and a good number of their songs are still loved by many, albeit as guilty pleasures for some. I'd argue that Don't Stop Believing is now bigger than ANY Aerosmith song. And the difference between Journey and Bon Jovi (as well as Aerosmith) is that at least the former didn't have to hire Desmond Child and Diane Warren for help with their big singles.

Quote:
Well-put. And we'll just have to differ on the public execution thing.
Old 12-18-2009, 12:56 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2904 View Post
The performer inductees are:
GENESIS
Wasn't sure that would ever happen... I have a long list of people who continue to be ignored though. :eyeroll:

As for Kiss and RHCP, I'd say there needs to be three criteria for getting in.

1. Have you released a remarkable body of work?
I can't say either has, to be honest. Feel free to call me on that if you think I'm wrong.

2. Have you been influential and citied by many artists as a source of inspiration?
Maybe but not to a level where heavy comparisons are drawn.

3. Were you ahead of your time or at least a unique sounding artist during your time?
Kiss, definitely no. RHCP, maybe but I don't think I've ever heard them described as being different everyone else.

So their cases aren't exactly blowing me away. If I had a vote, I wouldn't put them in.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 AM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 05:31 AM
yea well, i guess i'm on the wrong fucking message board , at least for discussing non u2 bands. Don't think kiss or aerosmith are hof worthy? agree to disagree i guess. Sorry don't exactly run into alot of music fans who think kiss or areosmith,despite some well deserved criticism , are not legendary bands.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:06 AM   #39
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Oh, I didn't know being on a U2 board signed me up for automatic KISS/Aerosmith fandom. Awesome.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #40
Blue Meth Addict

I don't think it has anything to do with U2 fans and "non-U2 bands", but much more with people who aren't mainstream radio type of music music fans (the types that are much more likely to use the internet so they can find other people to discuss the kind of music they like with, because everyone else they know listens to bands like Aerosmith and KISS).
Old 12-18-2009, 02:40 AM   #41
Refugee

Local Time: 05:31 AM
well then those fans to respect what aerosmith has accomplished in the "mainstream" and not act so surprised when they get in/got nominated.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 AM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
3. Were you ahead of your time or at least a unique sounding artist during your time?
Kiss, definitely no. RHCP, maybe but I don't think I've ever heard them described as being different everyone else.
How is KISS ahead of their time? Because they wore makeup? There's nothing about their sound that was fresh or original.

RHCP, while being heavily influenced by Parliament Funkadelic and to a lesser extent Fishbone (who is really more of a contemporary of the band), certainly didn't sound like any other rock band at the time, and over the years have carved out a niche that is distinctly theirs. I don't know that they have a consistently great body of work, but they are unique.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:50 AM   #43
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
well then those fans to respect what aerosmith has accomplished in the "mainstream" and not act so surprised when they get in/got nominated.
This doesn't make sense.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:21 AM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:01 PM
Quote:
Oh, I didn't know being on a U2 board signed me up for automatic KISS/Aerosmith fandom. Awesome.
What? Didn't you read the Terms of Agreement when you registered?!
Old 12-18-2009, 04:22 AM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:31 AM
Quote:
Aren't we all supposed to be Rush fans too?