kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:55 PM
Is John Frusciante OK??

Old 12-16-2009, 03:58 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:55 PM
I heard he quit the band!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:30 AM   #18
45:33

Local Time: 01:55 PM
Last week
Kyle quite the band
Doesn't matter
Now we're back together again
Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 AM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Who cares?
The Stooges do get inducted!!!

(sadly a few years too late, R.I.P. Ron Asheton )
Old 12-16-2009, 10:11 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 02:55 AM
thats the only good thing. For person who thinks aerosmith doesn't should be, why shouldn't they be?
Old 12-16-2009, 10:35 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 PM
If it came down to choosing between RHCP, Kiss, and Genesis, there's no doubt whatsoever that they made the right choice.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:46 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
If it came down to choosing between RHCP, Kiss, and Genesis, there's no doubt whatsoever that they made the right choice.
True that, but perhaps Kiss is more deserving of induction than say Abba, if one were to actually take the words "Rock and Roll" just a tad literally, but I digress.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
thats the only good thing. For person who thinks aerosmith doesn't should be, why shouldn't they be?
Probably because they're the least original, least essential classic rock band. They also hired cheesy hitmakers (Diane Warren, Desmond Child) to write singles for them beginning with their big comeback album Permanent Vacation and continuing for almost every album afterwards.

The only important artist they appeared to influence are Guns 'n' Roses, who are about 50x better.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

I'm not a KISS fan, but the band has had such a huge influence on so much of the music I've listened to my whole life, ranging from Motley Crue to Stone Temple Pilots to Weezer. A lot of people picked up guitars and started bands because of KISS.

Full list:

The performer inductees are:
ABBA
GENESIS
JIMMY CLIFF
THE HOLLIES
THE STOOGES

Ahmet Ertegun Award (nonperformers):
DAVID GEFFEN
BARRY MANN & CYNTHIA WEIL
ELLIE GREENWICH & JEFF BARRY
JESSE STONE
MORT SHUMAN
OTIS BLACKWELL
Old 12-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Probably because they're the least original, least essential classic rock band. They also hired cheesy hitmakers (Diane Warren, Desmond Child) to write singles for them beginning with their big comeback album Permanent Vacation and continuing for almost every album afterwards.

The only important artist they appeared to influence are Guns 'n' Roses, who are about 50x better.
So if they broke up circa 1979 and stayed that way, would they be HoF material?
Cause pre-comeback, their work is pretty solid and largely their own writing save a few covers, and far more prolific than the Sex Pistols one album and far more Rock and Roll than Abba's collection of dance odes to bulls and the like.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:34 AM   #26
Refugee

yea, sorry aerosmith belongs in the HOF. Yea, im not a big fan of the more pop oretinted stuff, but regardless those songs sold well. Basically, had major hits from 1973-2001 except for the first half of 80's. Their comeback in the 80's with permanent vacation is considered one of the greatest comebacks in rock.. Considering how fucked up they were come 1981. Oh, that and the rap/rock with run dmc on walk this way. Not saying you gotta like them , but to say they don't belong after all their success is a little hard to agree with.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:46 AM   #27
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't know, I just don't think a band should be inducted because they sold well and managed to stick around for a while. Their influence should be measured on the same level, if not more so. What has Aerosmith done? Who did they bring about? I like them and some of their music, but what makes them Hall of Famers? I'd say their most memorable moment was "Walk This Way" with Run-D.M.C., but even that's due more to Rick Rubin digging those guys out of their heroin-addled graves and Run and Co. being a bunch of badasses.

As for Kiss, they took elements of metal and glam rock and have a logical throughline, bringing about the hair metal of the '80s. Wow, what a legacy. The elaborate stage shows/theatricality isn't new, nor are their songs. Again, they've been around for a while and sold well, but you could make a better case for them than Aerosmith.

Every act that got in this year was far more deserving than those two, at least. Same with the Chili Peppers. If there was a Dude Rock Hall of Fame, they'd be in the introductory class.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:22 AM   #28
Refugee

well actually yea, if you sold well and stuck around for a long time, yes then that sorta does matter. Consider how many millions of people try to "make it" with bands that never leave their basement. About less then 1% of them. And then less 1% of them will make it past the first couple albums. So yes, longevity and sales factor in. I think you are acting like aerosmith is limp biscuit who 12 years after their debut are considered one of the worst acts ever to make it and have not aged well. Geez, you really think they are that bad? the 70's stuff is pretty solid/great hard rock. They may not be as influential as kiss, but many hard rock artists cite them as a influence.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:24 AM   #29
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

No, I'm not. I even stated that I like them, but if record sales/persistence is a major factor, then kick The Velvet Underground out.

If Nickelback persists for 10 more years, then do they deserve a spot in the Hall of Fame?
Old 12-17-2009, 02:53 AM   #30
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith2904 View Post
Full list:
Ahmet Ertegun Award (nonperformers):

BARRY MANN & CYNTHIA WEIL
ELLIE GREENWICH & JEFF BARRY
Nice!
Excellent songwriters!