kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #226
The Male

Local Time: 01:02 AM
I can't stand The Eagles. Their music just feels too slick and soulless for me. I suppose you could say the same about Steely Dan, a band a adore, but The Eagles lack their sense of droll humor and irony. All they seem to be able to churn out is unremarkable, if well-performed, soft rock.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #227
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
One of the very few Eagles songs I really like is I Can't Tell You Why.
Can you tell us why, or was the opposite implied?

Old 12-23-2009, 11:03 PM   #228
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Well I grew up listening to The Eagles, John Mellencamp, Bryan Adams and Bob Seger. I've got The Eagles best of, and I think it's awesome. They're not the greatest of bands going around, no, but as indra said those songs were (and still are, really) everywhere and I think they deserve their place.

We do have to remember that our opinions aren't making the decisions here.

I unashamedly love Hotel California, One of These Nights, Take it Easy, Jack and Diane, I Need A Lover, Hurts So Good, Summer of '69, Heaven, Waking up the Neighbours (album), Nightmoves, Mainstreet, Travellin' Man...
I really don't give a shit. All we have in judging any act are facts and figures and our own opinions. Give 'em gold and platinum records to hang on their walls, award the engineers/producers for their production quality, have some popular acts throw some benefit concerts every once and a while, that's all great. I love studying music history and how it intersects with the socio-political outlook of the day, and guys like The Eagles, KISS, Aerosmith, AC/DC, they're blips on the radar. Everyone's kissing their asses because they sold a lot of records, which is respectable in its own right, but you don't see people lauding Transformers 2 as one of the greatest movies ever made because it made a lot of money, if you'll allow me to make a film analogy for a second. Why shouldn't the same principle apply to pop music?Voting in a Favorite is a lot different than something Important.

Don't tell me that my opinion doesn't hold any weight or that someone else's is superior. What else do we got, you know?

For the record, I think that "Hotel California" and "Jack & Diane" are fantastic songs, and haven't listened to enough Seger to throw out a thought on his material.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:15 PM   #229
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Can you tell us why, or was the opposite implied?
I actually can!

A) It's not Don Henley singing, which helps

B) Love the chorus
Old 12-24-2009, 01:31 AM   #230
Refugee

Local Time: 09:02 AM
good good. it a free for all now. how about kraftwerk? should be in? iron maiden? judas priest? hey, anyone believe billy joel shouldn't be in? i think he should be, but i have a feeling someone on here can make some kinda statement he doesn't have enough hits. I think what kraftwerk did is 1,000 times higher up the artistic ladder then rush. i;m sure someone disagrees with me. i'm actually not sure what to think of the mellencamp vs everyone else discussion. I can see the point where he appears to be a wanna be of older artists. although i think he has made some good songs. Don't forget the other artists that actually did make the HOF this year. cliff,stooges,abba.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:09 AM   #231
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:02 AM
Here's the point: having a hall of fame for a subjective medium is completely and utterly stupid. Because its a subjective medium, they seem to often overemphasize the objective (sales, hits, and the like). Many times the objective comes ahead of any consensus on actual artistic achievement. For this reason, Nickleback (band of the DECADE according to Billboard) will be inducted in a couple decades, and may G-d have mercy on our souls.

/thread
Old 12-24-2009, 02:16 AM   #232
45:33

Local Time: 08:02 PM
^ yep. thread should have been locked with that as the final post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
I really don't give a shit. All we have in judging any act are facts and figures and our own opinions. Give 'em gold and platinum records to hang on their walls, award the engineers/producers for their production quality, have some popular acts throw some benefit concerts every once and a while, that's all great. I love studying music history and how it intersects with the socio-political outlook of the day, and guys like The Eagles, KISS, Aerosmith, AC/DC, they're blips on the radar. Everyone's kissing their asses because they sold a lot of records, which is respectable in its own right, but you don't see people lauding Transformers 2 as one of the greatest movies ever made because it made a lot of money, if you'll allow me to make a film analogy for a second. Why shouldn't the same principle apply to pop music?Voting in a Favorite is a lot different than something Important.

Don't tell me that my opinion doesn't hold any weight or that someone else's is superior. What else do we got, you know?

For the record, I think that "Hotel California" and "Jack & Diane" are fantastic songs, and haven't listened to enough Seger to throw out a thought on his material.
i will say that i think there'd be millions of shitty pub bands who would cite AC/DC & Kiss as their greatest influences.

but can't argue with any of that mate.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:38 AM   #233
Refugee

Local Time: 09:02 AM
some can argue that rock has no business being artistic in the first place. A music, that started off as 3 chords, hip shaking,nonsense lyrics, and is the soundtrack to teenage rebellion. I once took a music theory course in school, and had a textbook. rock music made up approx 2 pages in a over 200 page book. YES and RUSH may be far more gifted then the average rocker, but ac/dc is closer to the true spirit of rock and roll. Rock is nothing compared to the "real" music that has been around for hundreds of years. Its great when a band can bring some artistic elements to the table, and think outside the box, but i'm not gonna start acting like thats been at the heart of rock since day 1. It certainty has not. Elvis sang , 3 min pop numbers. He didn't make 20 min jazz/rock fusion pieces. Thats why i have no problem awarding someone entry into the HOF based on commercial success. Because its the ROCK and ROLL hall of fame. Its' not the jazz,classical,opera HOF.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:42 AM   #234
45:33

Local Time: 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
some can argue that rock has no business being artistic in the first place. A music, that started off as 3 chords, hip shaking,nonsense lyrics, and is the soundtrack to teenage rebellion. I once took a music theory course in school, and had a textbook. rock music made up approx 2 pages in a over 200 page book. YES and RUSH may be far more gifted then the average rocker, but ac/dc is closer to the true spirit of rock and roll. Rock is nothing compared to the "real" music that has been around for hundreds of years. Its great when a band can bring some artistic elements to the table, and think outside the box, but i'm not gonna start acting like thats been at the heart of rock since day 1. It certainty has not. Elvis sang , 3 min pop numbers. He didn't make 20 min jazz/rock fusion pieces. Thats why i have no problem awarding someone entry into the HOF based on commercial success. Because its the ROCK and ROLL hall of fame. Its' not the jazz,classical,opera HOF.
see:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
Here's the point: having a hall of fame for a subjective medium is completely and utterly stupid. Because its a subjective medium, they seem to often overemphasize the objective (sales, hits, and the like). Many times the objective comes ahead of any consensus on actual artistic achievement. For this reason, Nickleback (band of the DECADE according to Billboard) will be inducted in a couple decades, and may G-d have mercy on our souls.

/thread
let's stop, my head is starting to hurt.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 AM   #235
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I actually can!

A) It's not Don Henley singing, which helps

B) Love the chorus
Schmidt has the best singing voice in The Eagles by a mile.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #236
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I'll probably pick up the aforementioned quintillion-times-platinum GH collection or something.
Get "Live Bullet".
Seger was always at his best live. It contains the version of "Turn the Page" that everyone knows from radio(well at least everyone knew before Metallica covered it), much better than the studio version.