kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF - Page 15 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #211
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The only album of his that I've heard in full is Scarecrow, and it's pretty damn fine for what it is. No idea why he chose to become Toby Keith, but his lyrics weren't always such crap.

Re: Petty, I don't think he was far more significant than Mellencamp, but I think it's fair to say that Petty at least showed more versatility throughout his career than the other. Of course, I will admit to my biases: I am a huge fan. Up to and including Hard Promises, I think the Heartbreakers were pretty much unstoppable. And, as a solo act, Full Moon Fever has those singles, and Wildflowers is pretty excellent as a whole.
I think that whole second tier of so-called "heartland" rockers behind Springsteen (Petty, Mellencamp, Seger) all had their moments, and most definitely have a few albums in their catalogs that can be considered near-classics.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 PM   #212
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Seger
I heard something on the radio the other day that blew me away. Of all the "catalogue albums" (those that had been in the top 100 and dropped out, greatest hits, reissues, etc) one of Seger's greatest hits packages was the top selling of the decade. I think Dark Side of the Moon came in at number 3.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM   #213
The Male

Local Time: 09:29 AM
Oh yeah, I really need to listen to more Seger. Other than Old Time Rock And Roll, which can go fuck itself, everything I've heard by him has been awesome. I'll probably pick up the aforementioned quintillion-times-platinum GH collection or something.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #214
Blue Crack Supplier

Night Moves > Petty & Mellencamp's entire careers put together
Old 12-23-2009, 02:48 PM   #215
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Oh yeah, I really need to listen to more Seger. Other than Old Time Rock And Roll, which can go fuck itself, everything I've heard by him has been awesome. I'll probably pick up the aforementioned quintillion-times-platinum GH collection or something.
Night Moves and Turn The Page still give me chills. The other day, I heard Still the Same on the radio, and was shocked at how much I enjoyed it.

Old Time Rock and Roll makes me want to stab someone's eyes out, however. Serious hate.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #216
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
Old Time Rock and Roll makes me want to stab someone's eyes out, however. Serious hate.
Cause you remember when it was "Ground Breaking Rock and Roll"?

UNGH
Old 12-23-2009, 02:56 PM   #217
Blue Crack Distributor

The last wedding reception I was at, I vowed that if they played it, rather than watch all the 50 and 60 year olds get up and dance, I'd take back my gift and leave in protest.

Someone has to make a stand against this shit.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:03 PM   #218
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Isn't selling your song to a corporation for a commercial selling out in its purest form? Should we praise him for this?
Not in this case. I'm not sure if it was Mercury or another label, but his label wasn't really that interested in promoting the song. But, Chevy was interested, so they kind of made a little quid pro quo deal with him where they would feature his song heavily in their ads in return for helping him promote his new material. They gave more of a fuck than his label did. I know this because John was featured in a show called Center Stage on the YES network where he discussed this particular topic.

But, I too got sick of the song when they played it to death and they're still playing it now for Christ's sake!

I'm pretty indifferent to "selling out". An artist is entitled to cash in on what they've done. Ya gotta pay the bills, right? But, I'll leave the debate for others.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:11 PM   #219
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
An artist is entitled to cash in on what they've done.
"Artist" and "cash in" shouldn't be used in the same sentence, which is the whole problem with that way of thinking. An artist is entitled, and encouraged to MAKE A LIVING on what they've done, but your phrasing implies that being an artist is a means to an end, and that end being turning a profit on it. The end should be making a connection with people based on your self-expression.

Of course, most people these days are opportunistic whores, but artists USED to represent some kind of ideal, not a way to "get paid" without having to work like everyone else.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #220
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Night Moves > Petty & Mellencamp's entire careers put together
Night Moves is a great song and all, but Petty and Mellancamp have plenty of great songs too. Have you completely erased their 80's and 90's work? Full Moon Fever was a pretty fuckin' good album! Mellancamp's Scarecrow is also pretty fuckin' good. What's also interesting is that both Petty and Mellencamp have been more commerically and critically successful than Seger. But Seger did put out a number of great songs. Remember when Chevy featured Like a Rock in their truck commercials? Wow, he and Mellancamp have another thing in common.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #221
Blue Crack Supplier

I stand by my remark. If the world had to exist without one or the other, I'd take Night Moves. And I'm not even talking about the whole album.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #222
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I stand by my remark. If the world had to exist without one or the other, I'd take Night Moves. And I'm not even talking about the whole album.
I hear ya, I was just mentioning albums because both featured a number of great songs. Like I said, I think Night Moves is a great song. It's my favorite Seger song even. Obviously, you're just not giving Petty and Mellancamp their props because you couldn't give two rat's asses about them in the first place. Which is fine. You are certainly entitled to your opinion. But one thing that is a fact is that individually, both Petty and Mellancamp have been more commercially and critically successful than Seger.

But, the 94 version of the Night Moves video featured Friends' star, Matt LeBlanc, so you got that going for ya too.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #223
Blue Crack Supplier

No, I do like Mellencamp a good deal; as I said, I own like 4-5 of his albums, even saw him in concert back in the day. And while I think Petty is majorly overrated, I have a few of his as well and think he's a decent chap.

But I think that Night Moves alone is a greater accomplishment than everything those two did. I think the world would be a sad place without it. Free Fallin' and Jack & Diane we could probably afford to lose. I'm not really talking about commercial success at all, and I think Seger has a better critical reputation than you might think.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:05 PM   #224
45:33

Local Time: 04:29 AM
Well I grew up listening to The Eagles, John Mellencamp, Bryan Adams and Bob Seger. I've got The Eagles best of, and I think it's awesome. They're not the greatest of bands going around, no, but as indra said those songs were (and still are, really) everywhere and I think they deserve their place.

We do have to remember that our opinions aren't making the decisions here.

I unashamedly love Hotel California, One of These Nights, Take it Easy, Jack and Diane, I Need A Lover, Hurts So Good, Summer of '69, Heaven, Waking up the Neighbours (album), Nightmoves, Mainstreet, Travellin' Man...
Old 12-23-2009, 09:29 PM   #225
Blue Crack Distributor

One of the very few Eagles songs I really like is I Can't Tell You Why.