kiss/chilli peppers don't get in HOF - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2009, 12:41 PM   #196
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:39 PM
Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBeaver View Post
So it wasn't because they were father/daughter. Awesome. That is ka-ra-zy.
Totally Crazy

YouTube - Aerosmith Crazy

Old 12-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #197
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Well, no. But I think it is possible excel at selling out. That is, managing to promote your music to a wider audience without tarnishing your legacy in the process. He, of course, failed because he chose a shitty song that makes me never want to listen to another Mellencamp song under any circumstances, though I remind myself that he hasn't always sucked as much as he does on that commercial. That's a bad song choice.
This.

I own a few Mellencamp albums, and VP has a good point in that he's basically on the level of Tom Petty, who has no more right to be in the hall of fame. But he's not as awful as that commercial would suggest.

Old 12-23-2009, 12:58 PM   #198
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Petty >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Mellencamp

In my opinion.

(Those greater than signs are kind of obnoxious, i know, but it's what the kids are doing these days I think)
Old 12-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #199
Refugee

Local Time: 09:39 PM
oh nows its petty vs mellencamp. lets just rename this thread the HOF battle royal. I mean, someone thinks the eagles shouldn't be in? really? hey, no one has mentioned hall & oats or Chicago yet? they are not in. i know Chicago isn't.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #200
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton View Post
Those videos are in my "self-love" hall of fame. I sent many potential children to a watery grave watching those videos.
Thats the second sig worthy gem from you in under a week. take a gold star. and some myrrh and frankincense too, whatever the fuck those are
Old 12-23-2009, 01:16 PM   #201
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
This.

I own a few Mellencamp albums, and VP has a good point in that he's basically on the level of Tom Petty, who has no more right to be in the hall of fame. But he's not as awful as that commercial would suggest.
His best days were behind him long before that commercial aired. I have American Fool and Uh-Huh, and then sort of lost interest after that. I'm kind of surprised I never picked up Scarecrow though, that seems to be a solid album.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #202
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
I love how all of the people who shit on certain bands weren't even close to existence when said bands were more popular/active.
This.

....is completely irrelevant.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #203
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
i know Chicago isn't.
I actually agree with you there, if you are indeed saying that Chicago should be in. I love Chicago. LOVE. Not the shitty, late era Peter Cetera-style ballads, but their rocking, jazz-fusion numbers, and their earlier pop-rock/ballads. Awesome band.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #204
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
I love how all of the people who shit on certain bands weren't even close to existence when said bands were more popular/active. Like say The Eagles or John Mellancamp or even AC/DC.
Boom. Can't argue with that. I guess I'm not supposed to have an opinion on anyone who came before my time?

I mean, supporting The Beatles? I wasn't even there!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #205
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbecauseofu2 View Post
oh nows its petty vs mellencamp. lets just rename this thread the HOF battle royal. I mean, someone thinks the eagles shouldn't be in? really? hey, no one has mentioned hall & oats or Chicago yet? they are not in. i know Chicago isn't.
Hall & Oates aren't in? That's kind of fucked up. They're the biggest selling duo of all time in the U.S., if I'm not mistaken, and their white boy soul was pretty distinct from every one of their contemporaries. The guys were great songwriters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
His best days were behind him long before that commercial aired. I have American Fool and Uh-Huh, and then sort of lost interest after that. I'm kind of surprised I never picked up Scarecrow though, that seems to be a solid album.
Scarecrow is a great album, and many Mellencamp fans feel The Lonesome Jubilee is his best. I personally prefer 1991's harder-rocking Whenever We Wanted, which is extremely underrated, and the first album after he dropped the "Cougar". It did very well with the critics at the time, if I remember correctly.

It should also be mentioned that Kenny Aronoff, Mellencamp's longtime drummer, is one of the best in the business.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #206
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Boom. Can't argue with that. I guess I'm not supposed to have an opinion on anyone who came before my time?

I mean, supporting The Beatles? I wasn't even there!
We can't officially root for any artist until when? 2016?

Mark your calendar, Pfan.

Also, I think that King Crimson, Yes, Cat Stevens, ELO, Brian Eno, Quincy Jones, Journey, and Sonic Youth should get in at some point, in addition to Hall & Oates. Private eyes *clap clap* are watching you!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #207
Blue Crack Supplier

Check your lease, YLB.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #208
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
and some myrrh and frankincense too, whatever the fuck those are
A space station and a mad scientist who created a monster, right.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:28 PM   #209
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
You should. That period of his from American Fool to The Lonesome Jubilee was pretty good.

Quote:
Hall & Oates aren't in? That's kind of fucked up. They're the biggest selling duo of all time in the U.S., if I'm not mistaken, and their white boy soul was pretty distinct from every one of their contemporaries. The guys were great songwriters as well.
This.

Quote:
Scarecrow is a great album, and many Mellencamp fans feel The Lonesome Jubilee is his best. I personally prefer 1991's harder-rocking Whenever We Wanted, which is extremely underrated, and the first album after he dropped the "Cougar". It did very well with the critics at the time, if I remember correctly.

It should also be mentioned that Kenny Aronoff, Mellencamp's longtime drummer, is one of the best in the business.
Again, agreed. Whenever We Wanted was the last Mellencamp album that I cared for, although Human Wheels had its moments.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #210
The Male

Quote:
The only album of his that I've heard in full is Scarecrow, and it's pretty damn fine for what it is. No idea why he chose to become Toby Keith, but his lyrics weren't always such crap.

Re: Petty, I don't think he was far more significant than Mellencamp, but I think it's fair to say that Petty at least showed more versatility throughout his career than the other. Of course, I will admit to my biases: I am a huge fan. Up to and including Hard Promises, I think the Heartbreakers were pretty much unstoppable. And, as a solo act, Full Moon Fever has those singles, and Wildflowers is pretty excellent as a whole.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote