Kings of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im shocked that it hasn't leaked yet it comes out in a few countries next Friday. Come Around Sundown leaked 17 days before it came out

It's bad. It's really bad. 'Don't Matter' is the only good track worth listening to.

Oh well, at least I don't have to wonder anymore: I can finally close the book on Kings of Leon. And, I'll always have the first three albums.

That just shows how hard it is to make great records and what U2 has to deal with.

That just shows how hard it is to make great records and what U2 has to deal with.

I agree with you, purpleoscar, because, what I find bad about the new KOL, is how unimaginative, banal, and by-the-numbers it is. Of course the songs themselves are well made, well put-together, well recorded; they've come too far not to be able to accomplish at least that much. But the songs are just soooooo uninteresting; they're so rote. It's just standard, sugary, same 'ol, same 'ol pop-rock aimed for the top of the charts. Nothing new or inventive about this album.

Super disappointing.

This record is an example of what I believe Steve Lillywhite refers to as "professional" sounding

A critic reviewing the album stated that "the record is all good fun and it accomplishes what it seeks out to be the only problem is we've all heard these songs before"

I'm for the opinion that the band needs a new producer for the next one. They need to get out of their new studio in Nashville and get a new perspective for the next one.

What a boring album. Nothing really stands out and the production is totally whitewashed. The last album was a inconsistent, but at least a few tracks were memorable.

Nothing new there and considering that, the album, IMO, is too long. It does indeed get a bit boring. It's just the same sound over and over again. Though I have to say I haven't listened to it more than twice yet. I like some of the songs, I think Beautiful War is my favourite one. Maybe some other songs will grow on me. Let's see. I wasn't very enthusiastic about their last album either.

What a boring album. Nothing really stands out and the production is totally whitewashed.

Whitewashed, huh?

car-bird-poop.jpg

I was surprised that I ended up digging a few tracks on their last album, but I can't even recall the pre-release tracks from this to the point where I really have no interest in listening to more.

It's just standard, sugary, same 'ol, same 'ol pop-rock aimed for the top of the charts.

Isn't this what KoL has always been about, though? Or at least what they have been doing for quite some time? And I say this as someone who doesn't mind their music.

That's been their MO on singles since 2008, it certainly wasn't before that. They weren't the most profound of recording artists, but the music wasn't over-produced and calculated for world dominance the way they are now.

After listening a few times it's easily forgettable. Sounds like they're going through the motions and really aren't inspired anymore. Even seeing them perform lately and their attitudes - they just wanna chill in Tennessee eat food and drink wine and not be bothered

Meh.

I'm 3 tracks in and it's a pretty good rock record. Comes out of the gate pretty strong. Nothing that could be called "sugary" or "chart oriented."

Ah, wait. The ballad just started. Everyone hates ballads. So that's where the hate is coming fr...erm, no.

This is pretty good.

Mechanical Bull Album Thoughts......

Interference,

Kings Of Leon's new album "Mechanical Bull" dropped yesterday and it's a classic. My 3rd fave after "Only By The Night" and "Because Of The Times".

I think the most accurate description for this album comes from the drummer, Nathan Followill, describing Mechanical Bull as an unofficial "greatest hits" of all the Kings' earlier work. There is certainly something here for every Kings of Leon fan. I think those that were expecting a return to Youth and Young Manhood will be somewhat disappointed, however, but that is not a bad thing at all.

Don't Matter and Rock City most closely reflect the Kings' earlier style. Fans of their first two albums and of harder rock in general will find a lot to love about these two tracks, and I can easily see these two songs being favorites for many fans. Temple is a more classic rock hit which flows at a fast pace, but will probably find more favor in fans of the Kings' third album. Temple is definitely a showcase of Caleb's vocal talents.

I think fans of Only by the Night will get the most out of Mechanical Bull. Comeback Story and Coming Back Again are both arena-sized rock hits, both signaling the Kings coming back to the album that propelled them to super-stardom. Family Tree in particular is Only by the Night with a blues rock spin to it. Fans of Only by the Night should definitely be able to recognize Crawl as Family Tree opens. Family Tree shows that the Kings can definitely pull off blues rock in a very satisfying way, and it's one of the more catchy tunes in the album.

The rest of the songs tend to be more experimental. On The Chin is a slower country rock-style song, the one you would play for a buddy (or indeed for a brother or cousin) after going Back Down South and getting into a bar fight. Of their three slow songs on the album, Tonight feels like the weakest, and the weakest overall in the album. It shows promise, with Caleb showing flashes of ambition with his voice, but sinks into repetitiveness. Wait for Me also suffers from repetitiveness with a slow tempo. It feels like you're left waiting for an ending that never comes. It could be said that Beautiful War also veers into repetitiveness. However, the bass guides the song along a continuous crescendo, a la Bolero, and Beautiful War unfolds into a magnificent Kings of Leon classic. The second bonus track, Last Mile Home, is a happy medium, flowing along at a brisk pace but not overwhelming.

Where the Kings really shine in this album are Supersoaker and Work on Me. These two songs are unlike anything the Kings have previously released. Indeed, they feel like they could be the first two songs the Kings really enjoyed making in a long time. Supersoaker, as the name implies, is a fun song. It will "red, white, and blow you away". The guitar is enjoyable, the bass sounds great, the drums are fun, and you just gotta love the lyrics. Supersoaker was a good choice as the opening single.

The hidden gem is Work on Me. As most reviews focus on the songs in the main album, Work on Me has received little exposure. One of the few mentions I see basically write off Work on Me as a "Cure song". Frankly, if it was a Cure song, it would be the best song The Cure could ever hope to make. Robert Smith does not compare to Caleb Followill. Work on Me is all the Kings' strongest talents working together perfectly. I personally cannot stop listening to this song, I've had it on repeat for a while. If Supersoaker did not blow you away, this song certainly will. The guitar in Work on Me does bring to mind The Cure, but on a completely different, much more enjoyable level. The bass is among the best Jared has played, and combined with the drums make for a great rhythm to this song. Top it off with Caleb's unmatched vocals and the song's fun lyrics, and you have a song that will make you feel great. If there's any song on this album, or even from all of Kings of Leon's catalog, that you should get, it's Work on Me.

Songs like Family Tree, Beautiful War, and Temple definitely make this a good album. What gives it five stars is just how great Supersoaker and Work on Me are. If these two songs signal the direction the Kings will be taking in the future, it is something to look forward to with much excitement. Buy this album!

Back
Top Bottom