Kings of Leon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I must say that KOL is probably my second favourite band right now, I'm having Only by the night on heavy rotation, I love that album. I also like their previous work, but I didn't really get into the band until I heard their current album. I've never seen them live but would go as soon as they play here.

I must say that KOL is probably my second favourite band right now, I'm having Only by the night on heavy rotation, I love that album. I also like their previous work, but I didn't really get into the band until I heard their current album. I've never seen them live but would go as soon as they play here.

oh wow, LU likes KOL! I never would have guessed....awesome :up:

yeah, definitely see them live when you get a chance...you'll love it.

Saw them open 5 times for U2. They have some good music, but their live performances didn't make much of an impact on me. Of course, that was 4 years ago.

Honestly, I bet they kicked ass back in 2005. Sound sucked? Maybe. But it was at least before they sucked. I've never seen them live (and now with the consistently fantastic YYY going opposite them at ACL, I probably won't ever), but I bet those shows where they opened for Shuttlecock were actually pretty good.

That's why Chris Martin is awesome...

Awesome? Nah. But he knows exactly who he is. He knows he's goofy and geeky, a sense of humor the entire band has about themselves. A lot of folks think they take themselves too seriously. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

I don't mind some of their music, but I think their singer's got one of the worst rock voices I've heard in ages. Makes me think of two rusty saws dragged against each other. It may stop grating on me one day, but until then, no thanks.

I don't mind some of their music, but I think their singer's got one of the worst rock voices I've heard in ages. Makes me think of two rusty saws dragged against each other. It may stop grating on me one day, but until then, no thanks.

Yeah, I can understand people who really can't stand his voice because it's so unique...if it's not your style, I can see how it'd be really grating...I guess he has one of those voices you usually either love or hate....oh well :shrug:

I'm not entirely sure how Caleb managed it, but he's both whiny and mushmouthed on Use Somebody. If his phrasing was as irritating as Liam Gallagher or Axl Rose's, he would have nearly every irritating vocal tic known to man.

One of the most annoying voices in rock and one of the most generic bands out there. Never liked them but I have to admit they had a few good songs at first but from what I've heard it's been a steady descent into awfulness. Use Somebody sounds okay until the vocals kick in then you realise the only person he needs is a singing coach. Sex on Fire was an average song when it was released and now after I've heard it a million times...it sounds like shit.

What's that song again Molly's Chambers or something? That's a good one

Plus Kings of Leon were audible over Cat Power when I saw her, not cool at all. I'll never forget some guy stopping me at a festival to say "Where do you think you're going Kings of fucking Leon are on next!" :lol:

I've been a fan for about 5 years now and I think they new album is poor compared to the previous ones. Fair play to them for trying something a bit different but it's certainly lost its appeal on me. These days they just sound kinda generic, big choruses and throw in some echo on matts guitar and they just sound like a tennessee version of U2 or Coldplay. Don't get me wrong I really like U2 and Coldplay but i'd give anything for KOL to return to the raw sound of their first couple of albums. Their latest tour was the first one I haven't tried to get tickets for for years.

I still love them and am looking forward to the next album but the latest album left me a little dissappointed.

People need to relax, they're the new thing that makes you cool if you hate it. They're not serious enough to call them pretentious, and they're not goofy enough to right them off as pop, they stand in the middle of just plain entertaining rock music, and now that they've taken on cleaner production and more mainstream influence, they're in everyone's faces. They've been around for a long time without any kind of flak, people simply hate success for others.

Also, there is nothing girly about their music, but because girls have been attracted to the singer, they're now pigeon-holed as a girl's-band.

Plus Kings of Leon were audible over Cat Power when I saw her, not cool at all.

Now I'm even more angry.

People need to relax, they're the new thing that makes you cool if you hate it. They're not serious enough to call them pretentious, and they're not goofy enough to right them off as pop, they stand in the middle of just plain entertaining rock music, and now that they've taken on cleaner production and more mainstream influence, they're in everyone's faces. They've been around for a long time without any kind of flak, people simply hate success for others.

Look. There's nothing hip about Kings of Leon backlash, so if you think any of us are talking shit to make ourselves cooler or more indie, you're mistaken. They released a terrible album with a terrible single... and they both became their big breakthroughs in the US after years of trying. It's not about hating success for others. It's about hating the fact that a decent (nothing more) band with a handful of good songs, a nice sound, and an above average sophomore album devolved into trash, and they were subsequently rewarded for it.

I hated them way before it was popular to hate them.

~hipper than hip with hate

tombstone.jpg

I hated them way before it was popular to hate them.

~hipper than hip with hate

They were pretty much universally hated around here last tour, weren't they? I can't remember reading much positive input about them.

I didn't see the leg they opened on, but I can't imagine that they were much worse than Dashboard Confessional or Institute (the former being just blandly awful, the latter being an assault to my ears). I remember listening to a few clips at the time, and they were way too southern rockish for my liking, but I actually find some of their newer songs catchy as hell.

Back
Top Bottom