Kings of Leon - Page 9 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2010, 06:40 PM   #121
War Child
 
xtrmx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wijchen, The Netherlands
Posts: 541
Local Time: 01:14 PM
When I hear KoL songs I always feel disappointed that there ain't another vocalist on that band. Subjective of course but I cannot stand that mans voice. Great songs ruined by a moaning screamer, it makes their songs totally unlistenable to me .... Too bad because a lot of their songs have great potential when sung by someone else
__________________

__________________
xtrmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:11 PM   #122
Refugee
 
Nate Dogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: South Florida
Posts: 2,088
Local Time: 07:14 AM
Come Around Sundown....New album in October. Please don't hate....

Kings of Leon's New Disc Due in October | Rolling Stone Music
__________________

__________________
Nate Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #123
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Dogg View Post
Come Around Sundown....New album in October. Please don't hate....

Kings of Leon's New Disc Due in October | Rolling Stone Music
I like KOL, I'm excited about the new album
__________________
last unicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #124
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 08:14 AM
I like them too. The backlash is inevitable. They were popular in Europe for quite awhile and were really not well known in the mainstream here. When they exploded last year, a lot of people here who were already fans did the transparent backlash things because the "other kids" started listening to them, and they weren't their early fans' little secret anymore. I understand that some fans were disappointed in the last album, and that can be a legitimate argument. But at least in my life, most people that I've seen that openly hate KOL were fans 2 years ago or at least appreciated the band even if they didn't like the music. Now, they hate them because it's cool. OHEMGEE, They're so indie!!11!! PITCHFORK, GUYZ!!!11112!

ETA: At least in terms of rock vocalists that have emerged in the past 5 years or so, Caleb is among the best, I think. I understand that his voice doesn't appeal to everyone, but neither did/do Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Kurt Cobain, Thom Yorke, etc., and I love all of them. It's just taste.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #125
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,787
Local Time: 06:14 AM
Five syllables. Caleb, you cheeky fucker.

I don't like this band nearly as much as I used to (as my post on page 1 of this thread can attest), but I also don't have as much rabid hate for them as I did when I made that post. Sure, the big singles from the last album got incredibly old and obnoxious after about four listens, but I'm kind of over bashing them.

I'm going to download this album when it leaks, and am hoping they surprise me. There are still damn good songs on their first three records.

And pigeons like to shit in their mouths, which is always good.

andyuk, where you at?
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #126
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddam place
Posts: 41,818
Local Time: 04:14 AM
If the new album is anything like the last two, count me out.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #127
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 08:14 AM
You didn't like Because of the Times? I did, although Aha Shake Heartbreak is the only album of theirs that totally clicks with me. Their debut is too unpolished to the point of being obnoxious, and Only By The Night is unfocused and more based on hooks than riffs, the polished production and the poppy vocals are their prerogative though. I think the 'sell out' backlash is hilarious, to the point where people who know nothing about liken them to a chick band (because girls like Caleb??) and the fans seem to think US popularity is the end of the world.

I think on their old material, his voice fit perfectly with what it was, but depending on my mood it can be very hard to take, where the instrumental work of the first 3 albums was always entertaining if not artistically groundbreaking. With BOTT especially, I really find myself wishing forman instrumental only version of the album.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:07 AM   #128
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,355
Local Time: 04:14 AM
I think Caleb's voice went from acceptable to unbearable once it became required to do more than simply howl over shuffling southern rock riffs. He can't sing pop music, that much is obvious.

They've always been a pretty mediocre band, but at least they were fun at the beginning. They're taking themselves far too seriously at this point. Only KOL would attempt to make a song called Sex on Fire sound tortured and oh-so-poignant. SO many horrible things came from them touring with U2 (not the least of which that I watched them open for U2), and their turn for the grandiose is arguably the worst of them all. I just hope they don't try so hard next time. Hell, at least Jet is hilariously bad.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #129
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddam place
Posts: 41,818
Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
You didn't like Because of the Times?
Nope. It seemed like they abandoned the music they did well for the sake of sales. That's not a sell-out charge, but when you suddenly get more radio-friendly, your music suffers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
They're taking themselves far too seriously at this point. ....... and their turn for the grandiose is arguably the worst of them all. I just hope they don't try so hard next time.
I agree.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:41 PM   #130
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Posts: 3,264
Local Time: 06:14 AM
I don't think just because a band's music becomes "radio-friendly," that the music is destined to suffer because of it. A lot of my favorite bands created their greatest works while being commercially successful (U2 w/ "The Joshua Tree," REM w/ "Automatic for the People," Matthew Good w/ "Avalanche," Depeche Mode w/ "Violator"). I do understand some artists suffer under the weight of commercialism, but I wouldn't attribute that weight to all musicians.

Also (in response to LemonMelon), I never thought "Sex on Fire" was supposed to be taken so seriously. It's a fun, catchy tune, but does the band actually think it to be a poignant single?

eh, I know it's probably going to be heresy, but I actually think U2 taking the band on the road with them was for the best. They honed their craft, created a decent set of melodies, and the music is all the better for it. It's not like they were some great "hidden secret" of a band before U2 got a hold of them; they were, imo, much more average than they are now (sounds like a paradox, but whatever).
__________________
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #131
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 08:14 AM
This hasn't happened in this thread, at least not since it's been revived, but it's always amusing to me when U2 fans accuse another band of being too commercially-friendly or mainstream. Seriously? U2 didn't get to be the biggest band in the world by being indie snobs, and in my opinion their music has never suffered for it.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #132
A childless dog
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 64,355
Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
Also (in response to LemonMelon), I never thought "Sex on Fire" was supposed to be taken so seriously. It's a fun, catchy tune, but does the band actually think it to be a poignant single?
I sure hope they don't; the lyrics are ridiculous. However, Red Morning Light it is not, and I feel they will it into being Until The End Of The World when they should have aimed for the more reasonable Vertigo. It doesn't sound light, and that's more what I mean. Yeah, it's a stupid song. But it should have had stupid music too.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #133
She's the One
 
martha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Orange County and all over the goddam place
Posts: 41,818
Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
I don't think just because a band's music becomes "radio-friendly," that the music is destined to suffer because of it. A lot of my favorite bands created their greatest works while being commercially successful (U2 w/ "The Joshua Tree," REM w/ "Automatic for the People," Matthew Good w/ "Avalanche," Depeche Mode w/ "Violator").
I don't know who Matthew Good is, and Depeche Mode will never win an argument with me. I have never been able to stand them, even when they were somewhat relevant.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
I do understand some artists suffer under the weight of commercialism, but I wouldn't attribute that weight to all musicians.
Nor would I, but KOL seems to have suffered in that attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
This hasn't happened in this thread, at least not since it's been revived, but it's always amusing to me when U2 fans accuse another band of being too commercially-friendly or mainstream. Seriously? U2 didn't get to be the biggest band in the world by being indie snobs, and in my opinion their music has never suffered for it.
I would disagree. First, I'm not an indie-snob at all. But U2's modern output has suffered in their quest for popularity. ATYCLB was a snooze-fest for the most part, Vertigo was marginally better. NLOTH isn't all that radio-friendly at all; it sounds better than the last two; didn't sell as well, and now, if the setlist reports are to be believed, the band is panicking at bit and ditching the new material in an effort to play the "popular" stuff.
__________________
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #134
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 24,787
Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catman View Post
It's not like they were some great "hidden secret" of a band before U2 got a hold of them;
This is very true. I remember reading a lot of hype about them surrounding their debut, Youth and Young Manhood. And that was a good two years before they even opened for U2.

There are some fun songs on that debut.
__________________
GirlsAloudFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #135
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post


I would disagree. First, I'm not an indie-snob at all. But U2's modern output has suffered in their quest for popularity. ATYCLB was a snooze-fest for the most part, Vertigo was marginally better. NLOTH isn't all that radio-friendly at all; it sounds better than the last two; didn't sell as well, and now, if the setlist reports are to be believed, the band is panicking at bit and ditching the new material in an effort to play the "popular" stuff.
I wasn't referring to anyone in this thread in particular. I saw your posts earlier in the thread about the reasoning for your dislike of KOL's last 2 albums, and they're completely legitimate. And while I disagree in terms of personal opinion about U2's 2000s work, I understand where you're coming from and have no issue with it. I was referring more to an attitude I've seen in the past in multiple places on the forum where a fan will accuse 'fill in the blank artist/band' of trying to be to mainstream or appease a mass following while ignoring the fact that U2 does the same thing. Like I said, for me, I don't view that as a bad thing as long as I still enjoy the music and feel that the artist/band is maintaining their integrity both of which I feel about U2. I don't have a problem with anyone holding another opinion as long as they're not foaming at the mouth over some band becoming more popular while seemingly ignoring the fact that they're a fan of the biggest band around right now. I hope that makes more sense than my last post.

ETA: In terms of the possible setlist changes, isn't that a fairly common thing from U2 for years? That is, they choose to playthe hits and well-known songs as opposed to the deeper cuts that some of us more diehard fans would like to hear. I completely echo that frustration sometimes because there are many songs in the back catalog that I'd love to hear them play. But as we all know, out of 60,000+ people at a stadium show a very small percentage of people are actually huge fans that would know most of those songs. So, I understand why they choose to play hits as opposed to "Acrobat" or "Red Hill Mining Town" as much as I'd love to hear them.
__________________

__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NLOTH Singles Chart Watch beLIEve Peeling off those Dollar Bills 737 01-05-2010 09:48 PM
Rate my album collection. shart1780 Lemonade Stand Archive 75 02-14-2008 12:07 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com