Kings of Leon - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter

Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 AM   #301
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Someone really wanted to create threads today.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #302
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperor View Post
On the front page, homie: Kings of Leon
That thread has been running since 2010! I felt it was time to update the KOL to present day and start fresh with this release and general Interference opinions.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:48 AM   #303
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 01:08 PM
Just FYI you're new so probably don't know the general guideline is it doesn't really matter when the thread was started, so long as people are still currently posting regular pertinent info and it hasn't crossed the 1000 post threshold, threads that are basically discussing the same thing (especially general band threads) are typically merged into one. Plenty of people have been posting their thoughts since the album came out so don't be surprised if yours ultimately gets merged into that one also.

Anyways fwiw am not a huge fan of KOL. I didn't really enjoy their set when they opened for U2 and I guess I'm more of a 'radio KOL' kind of listener, so your review was interesting. Sounds like maybe I take a spin through it, at least give it a shot anyways..

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:17 AM   #304
Blue Crack Supplier

Kings of Leon return with 'Mechanical Bull' - Grantland

"They are now, without question, the world's top idiot rock band."
Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #305
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Kings of Leon return with 'Mechanical Bull' - Grantland

"They are now, without question, the world's top idiot rock band."
Nickelback?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #306
Refugee

Local Time: 06:08 PM
"Work On Me" should have made the record. It's a shame that most people won't hear it since its only on the deluxe edition. Besides that and a few others, to me, the album sucks. It's so calculated and by the numbers. It's almost like a rock 101 album that falls flat. I fear for Caleb and the band as I feel they're going to go at it again eventually out of sheer frustration that this album hasn't generated another hit. In my opinion they need to hire a new producer they have never worked with and try to head in a new direction. They're boring as shit right now.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #307
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
"Work On Me" should have made the record. It's a shame that most people won't hear it since its only on the deluxe edition. Besides that and a few others, to me, the album sucks. It's so calculated and by the numbers. It's almost like a rock 101 album that falls flat. I fear for Caleb and the band as I feel they're going to go at it again eventually out of sheer frustration that this album hasn't generated another hit. In my opinion they need to hire a new producer they have never worked with and try to head in a new direction. They're boring as shit right now.
I need to hear 'Work On Me' but yeah overall this album is really lame. I'm not saying bands can't change in fact its part of being in a band. But KOL have changed into some sort FM rock band.

I don't see these guys making another album after this one. I don't know who is making decisions on the style of music being made but they need to stop. I don't even want to go to a KOL concert anymore
Old 09-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #308
The Fly

Glass Houses

Quote:
This is some of the feelings I was experiencing as I listened to HTDAAB and NLOTH for the first time. The lure of mainstream success made for a "calculated" albums by Bono & Co. Many of the songs (City Of Blinding Lights ala Streets...) (Sometimes You Can't Make It...ala One) (Love And Peace ala Elevation) etc were U2 101.

Therefore before blasting KOL for their obvious intentions, let's remember we are in a glass house too. Our fave band is not exactly setting the world on fire with interesting and fresh sounds. That was the case from 1980 - 2000. But not in the last 13 years.

You feel that KOL needs a new producer...isn't this the same complaint we have with Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite?

Let's just realize that KOL is on their 6th album and after 10 years, ALMOST every band has exhausted their well of creativity.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:50 AM   #309
A childless dog

There is nothing on Mechanical Bull that's even close to Fez or Cedars of Lebanon as far as creativity is concerned. As a matter of fact, the two bands aren't really comparable.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #310
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
There is nothing on Mechanical Bull that's even close to Fez or Cedars of Lebanon as far as creativity is concerned. As a matter of fact, the two bands aren't really comparable.
Right!

I will say HTDAAB is comparable to the last 3 KOL albums. Sad thing is Vertigo rocks out more than anything on the Sun & Mechanical Bull. But NLOTH is a very good album for U2 & has times of brilliance.

And Bono still sings. Caleb sounds like he just doesn't give a f*** anymore.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #311
Refugee

Local Time: 06:08 PM
Posting this link from the app so I dont know if this will work but what's maddening to me is that they performed this cover of Robyn's "dancing on my own" and here Caleb sounds brilliant. They just played this a few weeks ago along with a few cuts from the new record. To me this performance is better than the whole album! I guess there's something about singing other people's songs sometimes but he sounds more into this song than singing the new material.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #312
Refugee

Quote:
What song on this record do you see as a potential hit?

I'm not hearing anything that comes close to a "hit." Don't see why they'd be frustrated.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #313
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Isn't this what KoL has always been about, though? Or at least what they have been doing for quite some time? And I say this as someone who doesn't mind their music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhour24 View Post
That's been their MO on singles since 2008, it certainly wasn't before that. They weren't the most profound of recording artists, but the music wasn't over-produced and calculated for world dominance the way they are now.

Been away for a couple weeks, but: iron, what he ^ said.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:38 PM   #314
Refugee

"Coming Back Again" is a fucking cracking rock & roll song.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #315
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Schloopen View Post
"Coming Back Again" is a fucking cracking rock & roll song.
Up