Kanye West - The Life of Pablo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
but didn't Anthony say that there are gems but songs are still too "random" to be in album?

I am pretty relieved that I am not the only one who regularly watch theneedledrop vids.

808s is my least favorite too, but I respect the hell out of it. That album has done more for modern hip hop than most people realize. It handed Drake his shtick and gave R&B a new audience. Very important album. And a good one too, although I'd personally cut See You in My Nightmares and Pinocchio Story. Slower, laser-focused albums like that should be trim.

But it's tough to put into words how much of a risk that was when it came out. Just check out the unease in our thread from 2008. The guy leaves us with big, melodic stadium hip hop like Big Brother and Champion and comes back with Love Lockdown. That's wild.

Last edited:
Holy fucking shit

From the outside, the final weeks of the creation of Kanye West’s The Life of Pablo appeared to be rushed (to say the least). Actually, a week after its initial release, we still don’t even know if it is finished. Shedding a little light on the confusing situation, Kanye’s longtime recording engineer says they worked 20 hour days to bring “a collection of ideas” to a finished product over the last five weeks of the recording process.

In an interview with Billboard, Dawson says he got a call from Kanye in early January to come help finish the album because Noah Goldstein (West’s lead engineer) “was just getting tired being up 24 hours a day.”

“I would usually show up to the studio around midnight and then leave around noon the next day,” Dawson says. “And there was definitely stuff still happening at six, seven, eight in the morning: writing, laying down verses, trying out beat ideas, that sort of stuff. So it was kind of a round-the-clock operation. Makes it pretty intense.”

He adds that many of the songs were still just loose ideas even as Kanye started taking photos of that infamous notebook and that they still weren’t finished when they played the album at Madison Square Garden.

Kanye West's Engineer Says They Worked 20 Hour Days During The Scramble to Finish 'The Life of Pablo' | Pigeons & Planes

808s is my least favorite too, but I respect the hell out of it. That album has done more for modern hip hop than most people realize. It handed Drake his shtick and gave R&B a new audience. Very important album. And a good one too, although I'd personally cut See You in My Nightmares and Pinocchio Story. Slower, laser-focused albums like that should be trim.

But it's tough to put into words how much of a risk that was when it came out. Just check out the unease in our thread from 2008. The guy leaves us with big, melodic stadium hip hop like Big Brother and Champion and comes back with Love Lockdown. That's wild.

If the album is responsible for Drake then it's deserving of the highest resentment.

That's mental, LM. Wow.

This is pretty disjointed, perhaps in reflection of its creator's own current mental state, intentionally or unintentionally. A handful of notable tracks, but this might be his second-weakest after 808s.

I applaud him for not making a safe record, at least. It's not as "revolutionary" as Yeezus but there's art in its abrasion and confrontation.

As an antidote to claims he takes himself too seriously (which he often does), the humor of I Love Kanye punctuated by his laughter at the end was nice to hear.

More comments after more listens, I'm sure.

As I've said part of the reason I love it so much is because it's the most fun he's had on record since Graduation.

Lots of discussion around this album around the Internet and work place has reminded me how many people really don't like Yeezus and they're nuts.

Yeezus rules. I like this better but Yeezus is still terrific and more consistent and focused, obviously.

Yeezus is great, but something needed to be done about the awful sequencing at the end of the album. Guilt Trip> Send It Up> Bound 2??

I'd roll with something like:

1. On Sight
2. Send It Up
3. Black Skinhead
4. I Am a God
5. New Slaves
6. I'm In It
7. Hold My Liquor
8. Guilt Trip
9. Blood on the Leaves
10. Bound 2 (music video version w/ piano intro)

This way, the album starts with the same whirlwind of anger, but settles down into the sorrowful half of the record much more smoothly. I like Send It Up early in the album because it introduces the themes/dancehall influence of the album. Piano carries BOTL really nicely into the new version of Bound 2.

Last edited:
Oh man no. You can't fuck with the first four tracks, no way. They are perfection and Send it Up isn't aggressive enough. I like the idea of Blood on the Leaves being the penultimate track though.

On Sight
BLKKK SKKKNHD
I Am a God
New Slaves
I'm in it
Send it Up
Hold My Liquor
Guilt Trip
Blood on the Leaves
Bound 2

I also like The Life of Pablo better than Yeezus, mainly because the second half of that record isn't that great at all. It has Blood On the Leaves but that's the only great track.

I don't really want to rank any of his albums ultimately, I really like all of them and enjoy how different they are. That said Yeezus is pretty handily my favorite album of the 21st century, probably top 5 to 10 all time.

Yeezus is great, but something needed to be done about the awful sequencing at the end of the album. Guilt Trip> Send It Up> Bound 2??

I'd roll with something like:

1. On Sight
2. Send It Up
3. Black Skinhead
4. I Am a God
5. New Slaves
6. I'm In It
7. Hold My Liquor
8. Guilt Trip
9. Blood on the Leaves
10. Bound 2 (music video version w/ piano intro)

This way, the album starts with the same whirlwind of anger, but settles down into the sorrowful half of the record much more smoothly. I like Send It Up early in the album because it introduces the themes/dancehall influence of the album.

I like this track listing a lot. Send it Up has always seemed out of place so late in the album and I reckon Blood on the Leaves would suit as a penultimate track. Will give it a go.

Sent from a barge floating through the docks of Dublin

What's the context..? I don't see anything official. I heard a video for All Day dropped too but I don't see anything official for that either..?

Where the fucking shit is DaveC? He spent a fucking month masturbating over Chance the Rapper and then he drops the best verse in music history on Ultra Light Beam and the cunt's nowhere to be seen.

What's the context..? I don't see anything official. I heard a video for All Day dropped too but I don't see anything official for that either..?

A UK production company worked on a low budget video for All Day and a new track was tacked onto the second half of it a la Tyler the Creator, Kendrick, etc. Two part videos are becoming increasingly common.

the best verse in music history

There ain't one gosh darn part you can't tweet!

Last edited:
Where the fucking shit is DaveC? He spent a fucking month masturbating over Chance the Rapper and then he drops the best verse in music history on Ultra Light Beam and the cunt's nowhere to be seen.

Listen you vegemite-swilling scumbag, I won't be spoken like that to by the foul offspring of penal-colonists, no matter how cute your girlfriend or national animals may be.

I'm giving the album a few spins before forming an opinion. I've listened to it 4 times now and I think I want to give it one more before I offer a few thoughts.

Bob Ezrin the latest person to shoot from the hip with a whole heap of misguided misconceptions. Go and fix The Wall, mate.

"Unlike other creators in his genre like MC Hammer"

Hahahahahaha get the fuck out of here, Bob.

You done good if you pissed off someone like Bob Ezrin. Good job, Kanye.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom