Kanye West Survivor: Late Registration Round

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your FIVE favorites

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just realized I only voted for 4. Damn it.

Remember to throw one on the Drive Slow pile.

No problem. It has a legitimate shot right now, which is a surprise.

Not trying to be a pretentious douche but Gold Digger is probably my least favorite track here. It took me a couple years to really warm to Kanye because that song annoyed me so much.

How high does this album rate for you all-time? Or at least in terms of your favourite hip-hop albums? And do you like it more than MBDTF?

Basically tied with Twisted Fantasy and probably in my top 15 or 20 hip hop albums of all time.

How high does this album rate for you all-time? Or at least in terms of your favourite hip-hop albums? And do you like it more than MBDTF?

Not very high all-time. There are probably around five to ten hip-hop albums that I'd put in my top like 500 albums of all-time, by anybody. This isn't one of 'em. College Dropout is. I also like MBDTF better than this one.

Still great, though.

Cool man. What are yours and others' favourite hip-hop albums? Me and Lemel have listed ours several times but I haven't seen many others chat about it much.

Late Registraition
The Low-End Theory
The Blueprint
Death Certificate (Ice Cube)
Paul's Boutique

I'd put Check Your Head over Paul's Boutique, but it's such a musical hybrid that classifying it as "hip hop" seems reductive. Same reason I didn't put The Love Below on here.

These are all up there:

36 Chambers
All Eyez On Me, 2pacalypse Now, Me Against The World
Midnight Marauders, Low End Theory
Bizarre Ride II
The Chronic, Chronic 2001
Slim Shady LP, Marshall Mathers LP, Eminem Show
Straight Outta Compton
E. 1999
The Blueprint, Black Album
Aquemini, Southernplayalistic
Deltron 3030
College Dropout, MBDTF

I'm forgetting some shit.

According to rateyourmusic, I've heard 225 hip hop albums. Tough to narrow that down. In no order:

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Kanye West - Late Registration
Big L - Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous
Nas - Illmatic
Outkast - Aquemini
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Madvillain - Madvillainy
Black Star - Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star
De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising
Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
Main Source - Breaking Atoms
Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - Mecca and the Soul Brother
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
O.C. - Word...Life

And it just keeps going like that. Great genre. People who hate on the whole thing over ignorant stereotypes can fuck off to their nursing home.

Man I've really gotta listen to some more Tribe. And Pete Rock and CL Smooth. And that Deltron album.

Aquemini, 36 Chambers, Illmatic, Liquid Swords, Madvillainy, Black on Both Sides and MBDTF are my favourites.

I suppose it would go a little something like this:

1.) N.W.A. - Straight Outta Compton
2.) Common - Be
3.) Kanye West - Graduation
4.) CunninLynguists - Oneirology
5.) Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
6.) Gorillaz - Demon Days
7.) CunninLynguists - A Piece of Strange
8.) Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
9.) OutKast - Aquemini
10.) Blue Sky Black Death - NOIR/Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (if you don't count NOIR)

Line for line, there is more rapping on the average Kesha album than Demon Days, but I'm just nitpicking.

Yeah, I prefer it not go down that way. The purpose was to determine which is more popular without punishing the song itself.

Maybe if Bollox hadn't voted for Diamonds twice...

:wink:

Ya know, Jay-Z verse aside, I don't think I could tell you the difference between the two, apart from one version being 'socially conscious' (couldn't tell you which tho). Even then, it was tough to even pick 5 songs I like. I used to rank this slightly above Graduation but now I'm pretty certain it's my least favorite Kanye album.

Ugh, Heard Em Say vs. We Major is much tougher than Gold Digger vs. We Major. This blows.

Back
Top Bottom