Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sir Lucious is much better.

I was actually slightly disappointed by that one. In contrast to Twisted Fantasy, Sir Lucious is incredibly safe, and that doesn't come off well, considering Big Boi is one half of fucking Outkast. Of course, a solid, down-to-earth record that gets back to the basics of great hip-hop (great beat + illuminating lyrics) is nothing to be ashamed of. Twisted Fantasy, however, is 10 times greater in scope and far more interesting musically. Brings to the table everything that made Stankonia so special, while also being more emotionally affecting.

Also, Nicki Minaj fucking slays Monster. Her new album is disappointing me right now though.

Her album's been out for 2 hours in my time zone, but she's already the most over-hyped artist since the Beatles.

I hope it's worth it, because I'm sick of hearing her name already.

It's not.

But she'll be making tremendous music once she records an album with a steady producer. Pink Friday is so scattershot that her personality is lost in the mix. She's fucking bonkers, and if that's emphasized the way it is with the primitive, jagged beat of Monster, magic can happen.

different strokes and all that.

I was actually slightly disappointed by that one. In contrast to Twisted Fantasy, Sir Lucious is incredibly safe, and that doesn't come off well, considering Big Boi is one half of fucking Outkast. Of course, a solid, down-to-earth record that gets back to the basics of great hip-hop (great beat + illuminating lyrics) is nothing to be ashamed of. Twisted Fantasy, however, is 10 times greater in scope and far more interesting musically. Brings to the table everything that made Stankonia so special, while also being more emotionally affecting.

i won't disagree with the scope/more interesting musically comments, but i enjoy Sir Lucious a hell of a lot more, i know that much. i don't know about "incredibly" safe either, though it is missing a definable hard edge.

and anyway,

i'm on my grind shawty
don't block my shine shawty
wait a minute wait a minute
chill and let it sit a minute
i can't move my safe no more
cos i got to much money in it! :D

Shutterbugg is easily one of the best songs that hip-hop had to offer this year. Old school party rap shit right there.

well first of all can i say this is the most overrated album of the year. i now understand where NSW was coming from when This is Happening came out... most seemed to adore the album, whereas he had qualms with its length and didn't enjoy it nearly as much.

MBDTF is at least 10-15 minutes too long. Runaway is the main culprit, somehow meandering to 9+ minutes when it should end at six.

Monster is not the "monster" i was expecting, having read the replies in this thread and the p4k review. it has a decent beat but is yet again too long. not very exciting and the female verse is horrendous.

The Chris Rock bit is completely gratuitous. the opening track wouldn't be as annoying if it was half as long. the word is "ridicUlous", not "ridicolous". i'm no stranger to misogynistic lyrics on hip-hop records but on MBDTF they seem forced and only there for the sake of it.

however there's still plenty to like. it flows well, it sounds great, Runaway has an awesome hook, All of the Lights is pretty good and the closing duo is endearing. 99% of albums grown on me. So Appalled would have to be my favourite track.

Sir Lucious is much better.

wow.. cobbler, you got this wrong. so wrong.

I'd rather have the extended outros on those songs than the fucking skits and shit he had on the first three. I despise skits.

Am I the only one who likes the bizarre outro to Runaway? It may be because I heard it for the first time during the film though.

Her album's been out for 2 hours in my time zone, but she's already the most over-hyped artist since the Beatles.

It's not.

But she'll be making tremendous music once she records an album with a steady producer. Pink Friday is so scattershot that her personality is lost in the mix. She's fucking bonkers, and if that's emphasized the way it is with the primitive, jagged beat of Monster, magic can happen.

She needs to lessen the weird voices too. On "Monster," there was just a touch of it, and it worked beautifully. But, if she keeps on that for too long, it's going to make people's ears bleed. Regardless, her verse was an absolute show-stopper.

And, Jay-Z's verse on "Monster" was shit. For a dude who can usually flow like water, the beginning of the verse was one of the most awkwardly cadenced performances I've ever heard. Just sayin'.

No word yet... hopefully he's been working on it! The Love Below was awesome. Big Boi's got another solo joint coming to, Daddy Fat Sax: Funk Soul Crusader.

Dre's been working on his for at least a year now, but still no word on actually releasing it, Big Boi said that they'd do a new OutKast album following Andre's solo release.

As to the matter at hand, 2 thoughts:

1. Tracks 1-9 range from incredible to quite good, whereas Hell of A Life and Blame Game are pretty lame

2. This should be released as 'Kanye West & Friends' it's the most collaborative hip hop album I've ever heard, and imagine all the people/composers it took behind the scene, but in egomaniacal rap Kanye is king. That said, he's got better flow going on during most of these tracks than pretty much his entire career prior to this, but a number of them he's only present for a moment while the samples and guests make up the majority of the song.

This is a very creative, personal album, but I can't believe anyone would think it's better than Late Registration.

Ridiculous.

Also, it's $8.99 at Target.

Also, forgive me if this has been pointed out already, but on (I think) the third track, Kanye samples the same Roger McGuinn (Byrds, I'm assuming) song that Shuttlecock used for a part in The Playbird Clubhouse: "You Showed Me".

Whoa now, I actually agree with laz, Late Registration is still my favorite Kanye album.

I don't know that I would have made that comparison if I wasn't listening to them close to each other, but I can hear that.

Whoa now, I actually agree with laz, Late Registration is still my favorite Kanye album.

I'll agree with that also. So much more soulful, and somehow even more emotional. I will always treasure that album.

But fucking hell is Twisted Fantasy ever good. He can't go back to his old sound at this point, but I'm really excited to see what he can do next. I would hate to have to follow this album up, especially with all the hype and unanimous praise.

I think the man needs some positive influences in his life, then maybe we could have the first big contrite hip-hop album... but that'd never happen, he's to nutso to apologize! :lol:

Also, as to following hype and unanimous praise, granted it's a bit stronger than ever, but with the exception of 808's which got some more mixed reviews, he's had to make that kind of follow-up every time out in his career.

BTW, Powerhour, you skipped over Lost In The World/Who Will Survive In America. What's your take on those? The album definitely hits a dead spot around there, but it's resurrected with those last two tracks. Woods was always pretty crappy, but I love the way it's used there.

Oh yeah, I meant to single out the strong ending of the album, I agree with you completely, and it absolutely made 'Woods' into something far more special than it was on its own!

Back
Top Bottom