Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know how I feel about that.

I've also still only given the album one listen all the way through. I need to correct that. "Monster" is still my favorite track, I think.

He got one part right, though, at least for me. Slow Jamz was my introduction to Kanye, and his verse made me an immediate fan. Then I heard Through The Wire, which I still think is one of his best songs, and I was definitely hooked.

One positive of the P4k review is that it directed me to this brilliant little piece of Power:

My childlike creativity, purity and honesty
Is honestly being prodded by these grown thoughts
Reality is catching up with me
Taking my inner child, I'm fighting for it
Custody
With these responsibilities that they entrusted me
As I look down at my diamond encrusted piece

Awesome.

"All of the Lights" is fantastic. Fucking fantastic.

This.

So is "Monster," like Travis said, though Jay-Z was just off at the beginning of his verse...even his flow was bizarre. But, that beat. That fucking beat.

I'm most glad that the skits are missing, since they're easily one of my least favorite aspects of hip-hop albums in general, but especially on Kanye's.

Also, I wish I didn't have to hear about Kanye's dick and black balls, but I guess that's a sacrifice that must be made to listen to a musically genius piece of work.

I was actually a bit disappointed by "Monster". I didn't dislike it, but it felt like the only really beat-heavy track in the midst of an album that was in general really musically impressive.

I was actually a bit disappointed by "Monster". I didn't dislike it, but it felt like the only really beat-heavy track in the midst of an album that was in general really musically impressive.

Beats are music too. :wink:

I just wish the line weren't so...:yikes:

I feel that way about a huge chunk of his lyrics. Don't get me wrong, the dude is a musical genius, but I also can't let his unrelenting misogyny slide. "Blame Game" was the epitome of that, for me at least.

I feel that way about a huge chunk of his lyrics. Don't get me wrong, the dude is a musical genius, but I also can't let his unrelenting misogyny slide. "Blame Game" was the epitome of that, for me at least.

I did review the album, but it's not very good. But pretty much what you just said is the basis of it. "Blame Game" was good until the end, I don't understand what the point of the Chris Rock shit was. And then don't even get me started on "Hell of a Life". I just felt like hip-hop was getting away from all this pussy/bitches/hoes/beatin' on 'em shit, and then all of a sudden, the most prolific rap release of the decade (so far) comes out and almost every track is that over and over again. The album would've made my top 20 if it weren't for that.

It is appalling, but that, I suppose, is a consequence of an honest artist. I am by no means a hip-hop expert, but it seems that much of Kanye's appeal lies in his emotional transparency. He's very candid, which will result in some less-than-appealing moments.

I do, however, fear that misogyny of this sort, even if dressed up as art, has very real, very serious ramifications. I do not want to suggest otherwise.

Let's not fight over this one. I think you know what I meant :wink:

Indeed. I'm just nitpicking, per usual. :wink:

I did review the album, but it's not very good. But pretty much what you just said is the basis of it. "Blame Game" was good until the end, I don't understand what the point of the Chris Rock shit was. And then don't even get me started on "Hell of a Life". I just felt like hip-hop was getting away from all this pussy/bitches/hoes/beatin' on 'em shit, and then all of a sudden, the most prolific rap release of the decade (so far) comes out and almost every track is that over and over again. The album would've made my top 20 if it weren't for that.

Exactly, and I agree with most of your review as well. Some hip-hop is getting away from it, but obviously, some isn't. And, I guess the misogyny critique probably seems hypocritical coming from somebody who counts among her favorite rappers Eminem and Tupac...however, the difference, for me, is that Eminem and Tupac absolutely have misogynistic streaks, but they also show respect to certain women. So, there is variation in portrayals, at the very least. For Kanye, every woman in his stories are pussy/bitches/ho's, etc. There is no room for shades of gray in Kanye's lyrics, and that's my biggest problem.

It is appalling, but that, I suppose, is a consequence of an honest artist. I am by no means a hip-hop expert, but it seems that much of Kayne's appeal lies in his emotional transparency. He's very candid, which will result in some less-than-appealing moments.

I do, however, fear that misogyny of this sort, even if dressed up as art, has very real, very serious ramifications. I do not want to suggest otherwise.

You're spot on when pointing out Kanye's appeal; the fact that he has no filter strikes people as honest in a music industry that is anything but. At the same time though, if it were a moment here or there, I'd be more forgiving, but as I said above, it's constant and without room for a positive portrayal of a woman.

No need for that disclaimer at the end. I'd say that it's quite obvious by your posts that you're not one to encourage misogyny.

well first of all can i say this is the most overrated album of the year. i now understand where NSW was coming from when This is Happening came out... most seemed to adore the album, whereas he had qualms with its length and didn't enjoy it nearly as much.

MBDTF is at least 10-15 minutes too long. Runaway is the main culprit, somehow meandering to 9+ minutes when it should end at six.

Monster is not the "monster" i was expecting, having read the replies in this thread and the p4k review. it has a decent beat but is yet again too long. not very exciting and the female verse is horrendous.

The Chris Rock bit is completely gratuitous. the opening track wouldn't be as annoying if it was half as long. the word is "ridicUlous", not "ridicolous". i'm no stranger to misogynistic lyrics on hip-hop records but on MBDTF they seem forced and only there for the sake of it.

however there's still plenty to like. it flows well, it sounds great, Runaway has an awesome hook, All of the Lights is pretty good and the closing duo is endearing. 99% of albums grown on me. So Appalled would have to be my favourite track.

Sir Lucious is much better.

If it weren't for Ridickohlous I would've loved "So Appalled". Ironically, I've been walking around pronouncing it that way all day.

the female verse is horrendous.

the word is "ridicUlous", not "ridicolous"

Haha, damn. Nicki Minaj's verse on Monster and RZA's verse on So Appalled are two of my favorite moments on the album. "Champagne wishes, and thirty white bitches. You know this shit is fucking ridiculous." RZA is the shit, and that beat he came up with on the opening track is amazing, a vintage dirty Wu Tang beat.

I actually think Nicki steals Monster from the bigger names and has the most memorable verse.

Back
Top Bottom