Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where will it rate on your end of year list? (aka will it fall behind Romance is Boring & This is Happening)

Nothing could top Romance is Boring, really. There just isn't another artist that's reaching my head and heart with the same level of success. Between the genius lyrics and the catchy tunes and the feeling of internal and external camaraderie the band gives off, they're in a class of their own as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that, if I could only keep one recording this year, it would probably be The Promise. Too many great tracks. But I disqualify it as an album, especially as it wasn't really "made" this year, for the most part at least.

Well, this is the first time I've watched the entire Macy's Parade, but I just have to know what on earth Kanye is going to do. Is he going to sing a Christmas song?!?!?!

I picked up the CD on Tuesday, and so far just gave it one listen. It was okay. Nothing I outright hated, but I think it was too hyped. Even All of the Lights wasn't as amazing as I'd hoped.

I laughed at the start of one of the later songs, with the long vocoder (?) intro. It was like his ode to Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek.

My general feeling is that the Chris Rock bit alone is sufficient reason to knock this album down one or two points on a ten-point scale. It's wildly indulgent - even for an album defined by its bombast - and seems to serve absolutely no purpose in the musical scope of the album.

My general feeling is that the Chris Rock bit alone is sufficient reason to knock this album down one or two points on a ten-point scale. It's wildly indulgent and seems to serve absolutely no purpose in the musical scope of the album.

FUCK THAT SHIT. Have I mentioned that yet in this thread? I can't remember. I hated that SO fucking much. I don't think I would've reacted quite as negatively as I did to the album if it hadn't been for that. Just...why? Why?

But, anyways, is the Runaway film worth watching, does anyone know? I really want to see it, but not if it's as bad as, oh, say, Linear.

It's definitely unique, it has some gorgeous photography, but then Linear did too and you obviously didn't like that.

The Chris Rock bit didn't worry me that much since about halfway into that track I realized I probably would be skipping it on all subsequent listens, one of only 2 tracks I didn't enjoy.

It bothered me because I did love that track until that point.

I didn't hate Linear, but I can't deny that I laugh more than be impressed by the film.

He was on the...New York Float :huh:

Also, he played "Lost in the World". It didn't sound great because, let's face, he's in a fucking parade, but it was awesome to know, he knows, what the best tracks on the album are.

My general feeling is that the Chris Rock bit alone is sufficient reason to knock this album down one or two points on a ten-point scale.

Like, dropping an album from a 10 to an 8 based on 3 minutes? No.

I'm disappointed that Kanye didn't interrupt the Macy's Day Parade.

Kool-Aid Man float, I'ma let you finish...but the Snoopy float is the greatest float of all time. Of all time.

Motherfucker's head is so bloated, I'm surprised he wasn't a balloon himself.

Good performance though. I like that, however indirectly, Bon Iver was at the Macy's Day Parade. Made my little hipster heart smile.

FUCK THAT SHIT. Have I mentioned that yet in this thread? I can't remember. I hated that SO fucking much. I don't think I would've reacted quite as negatively as I did to the album if it hadn't been for that. Just...why? Why?

But, anyways, is the Runaway film worth watching, does anyone know? I really want to see it, but not if it's as bad as, oh, say, Linear.

Runaway the film sort of skims for 1 or 2 minutes through each of the album songs, then obviously lingers on the main Runaway set piece. Since I love the album, that means each song gets a little pocket video, and a visual accompaniment to the songs is pretty neat even if in service to an overall story which is a little goofy. I could imagine some comedy troupe making a spoof of the random deer and sheep on Kanye's lawn that the girl plays among.

Basically if you're willing to indulge Kanye a little bit I say it's watchable, for both authentic and ironic purposes. Since West directed the film, I was also paying attention to that aspect as well and second the mention upthread that there's some beautiful photography. ...But again, probably one or two too many deer reaction shots.

Also, I don't think the Chris Rock part is in the film! So there's that.

I must be the only person who thinks that Hell Of A Life is more of a crack at himself/The Lifestyle than a misogynist rant. :shrug:

Even if that's the case, I don't like the sound of it, other than the rock instrument hook I suppose.

The Chris Rock bit actually makes sense when you listen to the lyrics preceding it... then you recognise why it sounds like a phone call.

and I know that you are somehwere doing your thing
and when the phone called it just ring and ring
you aint pick up but your phone accidently called me back
and I heard the whole thing.
I heard the whole thing, the whole thing, the whole thing...

[Chris Rock]
Ohh my God..
Baby you done took this.. to another level!
Now a neighbourhood n-gga like me aint supposed to be gettin no p-ssy like this
Damn, Damn!, who taught you how to get sexy

Even if that's the case, I don't like the sound of it, other than the rock instrument hook I suppose.

Diff'rnt strokes and all that, I guess...So Appalled is the track that just makes me go "ok cmon man that's just wayyy to far out there". I can see how the Chris Rock would elicit a similar response but I'm too busy laughing picturing him saying it to find it too offensive.

Standouts on this album for me aside from Hell of a Life include All Of The Lights, Runaway, Dark Fantasy, Lost In The World, Power, and Niki Minaj (as mentioned lol) on Monster.

Devil In A New Dress seems like "classic Kanye" and on that level it's a great track but the Satan, Satan, Satan line makes me bust out a laugh every time. I think of this character:

bbcafbd3e6fcaa32_dana-carvey-church-lady.jpg

:wink:

The Chris Rock bit actually makes sense when you listen to the lyrics preceding it... then you recognise why it sounds like a phone call.

It's a random ass decision to have Chris Rock come in and do this. And it's handled incredibly poorly, imo.

I think it's pretty funny, actually. And I'm not the biggest Chris Rock fan.

Well, of course you do, Laz. It was copied from the Cockification thread.

(I don't mind it, don't particularly like it. Wish it were a couple minutes shorter.)

It's a random ass decision to have Bon Iver guesting on two tracks, too. For me, everything works on this album. It hardly ruins it for me.

Well that's you. Bon Iver's sample wasn't patently offensive to my tastes. That's me.

Back
Top Bottom