Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-27-2010, 08:59 PM   #226
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by If you shout... View Post
Lazist.
Or "basically everyone who posts on this board."
__________________

__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #227
Blue Crack Addict
 
GirlsAloudFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 25,289
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
How did you manage to get weekly sales numbers for an album that came out five days ago? If it's a projection, it likely doesn't take into account Black Friday sales, but sticks to a more static "it sold X on Tuesday, Y on Wednesday, so it'll sell Z by Monday" approach.

Either way, Kanye has never sold as much in one week as Taylor did with Speak Now.
I figured someone would call me on that, and I thought it might be you. Of course it's a projection. I just pulled that number out of the air because I felt like making a dumb joke. The projection, which as you say could be way off because of Black Friday and other circumstances, was anywhere from 525,000 to 600,000. Which is nothing to scoff at. I'm just proud of my girl and want to be obnoxious about her success as often as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
A little unfair, as Swift is at the peak of her popularity right now.

Let's wait and see how well her fifth album does. Britney Spears' Blackout didn't even go platinum or debut at #1. I make that comparison not on artistic merit but on similar demographic appeal.
It's interesting you bring up the idea of being at the peak of success in terms of record sales and then mention Blackout as your comparison. Because Blackout was released at the absolute nadir of Britney Spears' popularity. This was just a few months after her very public "meltdown," trip to a clinic, shaving her head, attacking a car with an umbrella phase. And the big promo performance she did for the album was the almost unanimously derided performance of "Gimme More" to open the '07 VMAs. So that's a strange album of hers to use as a measuring stick.

Anyway, none of this matters. I don't mean to derail this. I love Taylor Swift to death, think she's the best thing going in pop music right now by far, but this thread is about Kanye's album and Kanye's album is pretty damn good.
__________________

__________________
GirlsAloudFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:41 PM   #228
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,735
Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsAloudFan View Post
Because Blackout was released at the absolute nadir of Britney Spears' popularity. This was just a few months after her very public "meltdown," trip to a clinic, shaving her head, attacking a car with an umbrella phase. And the big promo performance she did for the album was the almost unanimously derided performance of "Gimme More" to open the '07 VMAs.
Which is a damn shame, because that album actually kind of rules, as far as electro-dance-pop music goes.

/random drive-by
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #229
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,011
Local Time: 02:45 PM
You know, I really don't care for Hell of a Life very much. Specifically that Iron Man-verse melody-lifting, vocoder-delivered chorus. but I guess since I like the first 9 tracks a lot it's still an impressive accomplishment.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #230
New Yorker
 
Gonna Run 2 U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,593
Local Time: 10:45 PM
In my opinion Kanye West has no business rapping/singing or whatever he does is called. His production is great and should stick to that.
__________________
Gonna Run 2 U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:48 AM   #231
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Yeah Peef, I can see what you're saying about that Berlin Bowie-type breakdown in "So Appalled." That's one of my favorite hooks on the album.

I'm also glad that "Runaway" was an early single, because it sounds more in-line with his 808s material than anything here, for whatever reason.
__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #232
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,817
Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonna Run 2 U View Post
In my opinion Kanye West has no business rapping/singing or whatever he does is called. His production is great and should stick to that.
This post would have made more sense following Graduation, which was 80% braggadocio and 20% intimacy, but now that he's just written one of the more surreal, revealing hip-hop records I've ever heard, I can't agree.

Hey, teacher, teacher, tell me how do you re-spawn the students?
And refresh the page and restart the memory?
Re-spark the soul and rebuild the energy?
We stopped the ignorance, we killed the enemies
Sorry for the night demons that still visit me
The plan was to drink until the pain over
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?


He doesn't produce for anybody that could write this anymore. Common fell off ages ago, Cudi is just as self-absorbed as Kanye but without a sense of humor, and Jay doesn't even try. Glad to have someone in the mainstream that's actually hungry. Even The Roots are getting kinda lazy, no thanks to Fallon.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:42 PM   #233
Blue Crack Addict
 
PhilsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Standing on the shore, facing east.
Posts: 18,894
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMP View Post
Yeah Peef, I can see what you're saying about that Berlin Bowie-type breakdown in "So Appalled." That's one of my favorite hooks on the album.

I'm also glad that "Runaway" was an early single, because it sounds more in-line with his 808s material than anything here, for whatever reason.
Glad I'm not crazy. And it's all a compliment, that sound on So Appalled is just phenomenal.

And Runaway sounds like 808s because of his vocals.
__________________
PhilsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #234
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
This post would have made more sense following Graduation, which was 80% braggadocio and 20% intimacy, but now that he's just written one of the more surreal, revealing hip-hop records I've ever heard, I can't agree.

Hey, teacher, teacher, tell me how do you re-spawn the students?
And refresh the page and restart the memory?
Re-spark the soul and rebuild the energy?
We stopped the ignorance, we killed the enemies
Sorry for the night demons that still visit me
The plan was to drink until the pain over
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?


He doesn't produce for anybody that could write this anymore. Common fell off ages ago, Cudi is just as self-absorbed as Kanye but without a sense of humor, and Jay doesn't even try. Glad to have someone in the mainstream that's actually hungry. Even The Roots are getting kinda lazy, no thanks to Fallon.


Cudi's a mad scientist of hip-hop, and the Roots latest album was anything but lazy, also despite Graduation's lyrics that album kicks ass because of its music.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #235
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,817
Local Time: 02:45 PM
I don't get the appeal of The Roots' last one, and I loved Rising Down. Felt too slick, didn't really grab me the way the previous stuff did. It was OK, just slipped by me.

Cudi is getting better, especially musically. Dude has a lot of talent. But I wish he would talk about something besides himself.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #236
Ghost of Love
 
gvox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: In The Ballroom of The Crystal Lights
Posts: 19,838
Local Time: 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
This post would have made more sense following Graduation, which was 80% braggadocio and 20% intimacy, but now that he's just written one of the more surreal, revealing hip-hop records I've ever heard, I can't agree.

Hey, teacher, teacher, tell me how do you re-spawn the students?
And refresh the page and restart the memory?
Re-spark the soul and rebuild the energy?
We stopped the ignorance, we killed the enemies
Sorry for the night demons that still visit me
The plan was to drink until the pain over
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?


He doesn't produce for anybody that could write this anymore.
Have to agree. That other post was a little odd coming on the heels of an album that contains some pretty great writing.



One more thing: Runaway (the film) is not to this album what Linear was to NLOTH. It's many times better. Linear was just...I don't even know.
__________________
ACROBAT - U2 Tribute on Facebook


http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:
 
I'm serious, don't!

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.
 

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

 


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you








gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:47 PM   #237
ONE
love, blood, life
 
powerhour24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 11,645
Local Time: 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I don't get the appeal of The Roots' last one, and I loved Rising Down. Felt too slick, didn't really grab me the way the previous stuff did. It was OK, just slipped by me.

Cudi is getting better, especially musically. Dude has a lot of talent. But I wish he would talk about something besides himself.

Well we'll agree to disagree on How I Got Over, but Cudi singing about himself isn't necessarily a bad thing if it's like most of End of Day, whereas the way his life has changed since becoming a success certainly soured a lot of the lyrical content on Mr. Rager, an otherwise great album. He needs some better influences in his life, should be interesting to see what he does with his rock band project, especially if "Maniac" is any indication.
__________________
powerhour24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #238
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
If you shout...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,377
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Album is missing an album-stealing verse from Cam'ron.

In all seriousness, though, I think that this is no better than pretty good. And that's not a bad thing, mind you. At least, I don't think it is. I enjoy it a lot more than the last two, for sure, but feel like I'd be feeling sort of let down if I were hearing this on the heels of the last 'Yeezy record I actually, really enjoyed (Late Registration).
__________________
If you shout... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 AM   #239
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 02:45 PM
So I guess I'm sort of listening to Kanye's discography in reverse order. First 808s which didn't blow my mind. Then Dark Fantasy, which I've expressed my feelings on enough in this thread,but they're mostly positive. Now Graduation. I have to say this is by far my favorite of his albums Loved pretty much every minute of it. I'm even starting to come around to "Flashing Lights". "Stronger" is still my hands down favorite Kanye song, but I also loved "Big Brother" and "Everything I Am"
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 PM   #240
Blue Crack Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 26,960
Local Time: 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I'm even starting to come around to "Flashing Lights".


You didn't like it before?
__________________

__________________
the tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
kanye west

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com