Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #136
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
"All of the Lights" is fantastic. Fucking fantastic.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:06 PM   #137
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:00 AM
I was actually a bit disappointed by "Monster". I didn't dislike it, but it felt like the only really beat-heavy track in the midst of an album that was in general really musically impressive.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:25 PM   #138
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:00 AM
It's not often that someone manages to rhyme "sarcophagus."
Old 11-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #139
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
It's not often that someone manages to rhyme "sarcophagus."
I just wish the line weren't so...
Old 11-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #140
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:00 AM
Quote:
I was actually a bit disappointed by "Monster". I didn't dislike it, but it felt like the only really beat-heavy track in the midst of an album that was in general really musically impressive.
Beats are music too.

Quote:
I just wish the line weren't so...
I feel that way about a huge chunk of his lyrics. Don't get me wrong, the dude is a musical genius, but I also can't let his unrelenting misogyny slide. "Blame Game" was the epitome of that, for me at least.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #141
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebloodonelife View Post
I feel that way about a huge chunk of his lyrics. Don't get me wrong, the dude is a musical genius, but I also can't let his unrelenting misogyny slide. "Blame Game" was the epitome of that, for me at least.
I did review the album, but it's not very good. But pretty much what you just said is the basis of it. "Blame Game" was good until the end, I don't understand what the point of the Chris Rock shit was. And then don't even get me started on "Hell of a Life". I just felt like hip-hop was getting away from all this pussy/bitches/hoes/beatin' on 'em shit, and then all of a sudden, the most prolific rap release of the decade (so far) comes out and almost every track is that over and over again. The album would've made my top 20 if it weren't for that.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM   #142
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Beats are music too.
Let's not fight over this one. I think you know what I meant
Old 11-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #143
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
It is appalling, but that, I suppose, is a consequence of an honest artist. I am by no means a hip-hop expert, but it seems that much of Kanye's appeal lies in his emotional transparency. He's very candid, which will result in some less-than-appealing moments.

I do, however, fear that misogyny of this sort, even if dressed up as art, has very real, very serious ramifications. I do not want to suggest otherwise.
Old 11-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Let's not fight over this one. I think you know what I meant
Indeed. I'm just nitpicking, per usual.

Quote:
I did review the album, but it's not very good. But pretty much what you just said is the basis of it. "Blame Game" was good until the end, I don't understand what the point of the Chris Rock shit was. And then don't even get me started on "Hell of a Life". I just felt like hip-hop was getting away from all this pussy/bitches/hoes/beatin' on 'em shit, and then all of a sudden, the most prolific rap release of the decade (so far) comes out and almost every track is that over and over again. The album would've made my top 20 if it weren't for that.
Exactly, and I agree with most of your review as well. Some hip-hop is getting away from it, but obviously, some isn't. And, I guess the misogyny critique probably seems hypocritical coming from somebody who counts among her favorite rappers Eminem and Tupac...however, the difference, for me, is that Eminem and Tupac absolutely have misogynistic streaks, but they also show respect to certain women. So, there is variation in portrayals, at the very least. For Kanye, every woman in his stories are pussy/bitches/ho's, etc. There is no room for shades of gray in Kanye's lyrics, and that's my biggest problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
It is appalling, but that, I suppose, is a consequence of an honest artist. I am by no means a hip-hop expert, but it seems that much of Kayne's appeal lies in his emotional transparency. He's very candid, which will result in some less-than-appealing moments.

I do, however, fear that misogyny of this sort, even if dressed up as art, has very real, very serious ramifications. I do not want to suggest otherwise.
You're spot on when pointing out Kanye's appeal; the fact that he has no filter strikes people as honest in a music industry that is anything but. At the same time though, if it were a moment here or there, I'd be more forgiving, but as I said above, it's constant and without room for a positive portrayal of a woman.

No need for that disclaimer at the end. I'd say that it's quite obvious by your posts that you're not one to encourage misogyny.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #145
Blue Crack Addict

I enjoy this album more than I've ever enjoyed a hip hop album before.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #146
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I think I might enjoy Late Registration a little more, but it's right behind it. Great stuff
Old 11-22-2010, 11:34 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

I hate skits, it should be noted, so this album is a little more my style in that sense.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:35 AM   #148
45:33

Local Time: 01:00 AM
well first of all can i say this is the most overrated album of the year. i now understand where NSW was coming from when This is Happening came out... most seemed to adore the album, whereas he had qualms with its length and didn't enjoy it nearly as much.

MBDTF is at least 10-15 minutes too long. Runaway is the main culprit, somehow meandering to 9+ minutes when it should end at six.

Monster is not the "monster" i was expecting, having read the replies in this thread and the p4k review. it has a decent beat but is yet again too long. not very exciting and the female verse is horrendous.

The Chris Rock bit is completely gratuitous. the opening track wouldn't be as annoying if it was half as long. the word is "ridicUlous", not "ridicolous". i'm no stranger to misogynistic lyrics on hip-hop records but on MBDTF they seem forced and only there for the sake of it.

however there's still plenty to like. it flows well, it sounds great, Runaway has an awesome hook, All of the Lights is pretty good and the closing duo is endearing. 99% of albums grown on me. So Appalled would have to be my favourite track.

Sir Lucious is much better.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:39 AM   #149
Blue Crack Distributor

If it weren't for Ridickohlous I would've loved "So Appalled". Ironically, I've been walking around pronouncing it that way all day.
Old 11-23-2010, 02:51 AM   #150
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
the female verse is horrendous.

the word is "ridicUlous", not "ridicolous"
Haha, damn. Nicki Minaj's verse on Monster and RZA's verse on So Appalled are two of my favorite moments on the album. "Champagne wishes, and thirty white bitches. You know this shit is fucking ridiculous." RZA is the shit, and that beat he came up with on the opening track is amazing, a vintage dirty Wu Tang beat.

I actually think Nicki steals Monster from the bigger names and has the most memorable verse.

Tags
kanye west