Kanye West discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love that Kanye is a public figure who says ridiculous shit then gets bent of shape over someone who's JOB it is to ridicule public figures. It's like a perpetual motion machine of awesome.

I can't wait to sit down in the coming days and watch/listen to the whole Zane Lowe interview.

The skit made me chuckle a little, but Kimmel's whole lead-in was extraordinarily unfunny.

Shit I love Kanye. I'm glad I have four or five others here who share my blind love for the man.

I love that Kanye is a public figure who says ridiculous shit then gets bent of shape over someone who's JOB it is to ridicule public figures. It's like a perpetual motion machine of awesome.

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I love the dude so much. It's easy to clown on the guy, but the fact of the matter is no one is as refreshingly real and raw and candid as he is. He's so unapologetically himself. He pours so much energy into everything he does and is so genuinely passionate about his projects.

I'd rather watch his Zane Lowe interview 1000 times than the shitty Letterman/Boner thing in which nothing of substance was said.

As a fellow musician, I do have mad respect for Kanye. I love that he isn't a dilettante for art and fashion but pours himself into those scenes like he does everything else, even though his work in those fields isn't as celebrated. He seems like the kind of person who, if he didn't have some sort of creative outlet, would completely lose his mind. Typically, that results in the best work.

I do feel sorry for Kanye fans who look up to him as a person because he always disappoints on a basic human level, but then I think it's usually best to know nothing about your favorite artists. It's a disservice to Kanye that he's under the microscope so often.

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I love the dude so much. It's easy to clown on the guy, but the fact of the matter is no one is as refreshingly real and raw and candid as he is. He's so unapologetically himself. He pours so much energy into everything he does and is so genuinely passionate about his projects.

I'd rather watch his Zane Lowe interview 1000 times than the shitty Letterman/Boner thing in which nothing of substance was said.

Did you find yourself utterly enthralled by the 30-minute version of Runaway and extended versions of the 808 tracks on the last tour?

BTW, the New Slaves beat used on Zane Lowe was absolutely terrifying. And the vocal layering on BOTL was fantastic. Great performances all around; the hype for the tour is reaching critical mass right about now.

Did you find yourself utterly enthralled by the 30-minute version of Runaway and extended versions of the 808 tracks on the last tour?

I thought "Runaway" was pure emotion, loved the performance. And I don't recall any of the 808s songs being extended, not noticeably so at least.

Memories of that show are what have me thinking of dropping all that money on a ticket for December when I'll probably end up seeing him at a festival next year anyway.

Oh man, Say You Will went for 10 minutes at the gig I saw, he went on this hilarious tangent about how he was flirting with some girl over text. Runaway was great, felt sorry for the dancer though.

I'll definitely part with a lot next time he's out here, if that happens again. Can't believe I've technically seen him twice... he opened for U2 in 06, when I wasn't interested. Idiot.

That whole Jimmy Kimmel business is just incredibly hilarious. Kanye must be the most entertaining person on the planet.

Honestly, that's one of the reasons I love the dude so much. It's easy to clown on the guy, but the fact of the matter is no one is as refreshingly real and raw and candid as he is.

But he's so goddamn ignorant and dumb that all the rest of it goes out the window. If I need to tolerate a man's stupidity for a little candor, I'd rather not bother. There's little substance there

I'm not sure he's ignorant and dumb so much as socially inept, which is something that would be made so much worse living life under such media scrutiny.

But he's so goddamn ignorant and dumb that all the rest of it goes out the window. If I need to tolerate a man's stupidity for a little candor, I'd rather not bother. There's little substance there

For me, he's more or less become this generation's Eminem. Only difference is I actually liked Kanye's music at one point.

I'm not sure he's ignorant and dumb so much as socially inept, which is something that would be made so much worse living life under such media scrutiny.

The guy has literally never said anything that has made me think. It's a constant stream of verbal diarrhea

For me, he's more or less become this generation's Eminem. Only difference is I actually liked Kanye's music at one point.

I guess every generation needs one

I like a lot of Kanye, don't really see him as some unbridled genius though, sometimes I think he is aiming at satire but he doesn't really provide the contrast to make it work.

I don't really buy that he is particularly candid or raw or that self aware, it comes across as the emperor's new clothes, we'll look for deeper meanings behind some of the quite embarrassing things he says and does, because we never want to look foolish for buying into it.

I don't think it detracts much from some of his really good tunes though.

That's a well-reasoned stance. It's near impossible to read into intent, though I think he's delivered on every record that he's put out. Watch the Throne & Cruel Summer are inessential, singles-oriented summer jams overall with their share of killer tracks between the two.

Watch the Throne & Cruel Summer are inessential, singles-oriented summer jams overall with their share of killer tracks between the two.
This pretty much. Just placeholders between two opuses. Though they still showed artistic progression and map the journey from MBDTF to Yeezus.

The fact that in the intervening years he could put out two "filler" albums that contained tracks like Niggaz in Paris, No Church in the Wild, Otis, Clique, and New God Flow is incredible.

I'd put it below all of the solo albums, but it is a lot better than Cruel Summer.

That being said, NEW GOD FLOW :drool:

I think you're both underselling Watch the Throne.

It doesn't have the laser focus or ambition of Yeezy's solo work. Seeing him languish in his success, like in the "Otis" video, fucking rules. The track was a personal anthem after a particularly rough summer for yours truly.

Nothing wrong with team-up albums or compilations by any stretch, I just don't find them as thrilling as Graduation or 808s, for instance. The point of view is scattered.

I'm so tired of these videos of people quitting. Sorry you hate your job? Glad you can walk out on it...I guess.

Back
Top Bottom