Kanye West discussion - Page 54 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2015, 12:40 PM   #796
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
Point taken but as a mod I am sure you have regularly seen the Interference masses flocking to a flame war clash that breaks out in one of the forums. It is in the very nature and make-up of human beings to be attracted to conflict.

Agree with me or not but it's true.
Sure, but, as a mod, I hate flame war clashes. I don't want flame wars, and certainly don't want you justifying continuing one by saying, essentially, "but everyone loves a train wreck!"

Old 03-20-2015, 12:57 PM   #797
The Male

Local Time: 04:56 PM
What are the arguments being levied at this stage? That Kanye is an asshole and that he misuses his influence? There's a lot of truth in that, but I don't get what I, as a fan of his music, am supposed to do about that. I'm merely a fan that listens to the music and attends the shows; I don't go out of my way to support his every endeavor, so I'm not certain what I'm meant to concede here. Am I supposed to change him by no longer listening to The College Dropout on my own time? Seems like a vain and illogical endeavor.

I've never read a broad critique of hip hop as a whole that was not based to some degree in subjectivity (nothing wrong with this, but there's nothing I can say to it either), ignorance and generalities and I doubt today will be the day that changes that. If someone has a problem with the "offensive" lyrics in rap, listen to Black Star instead of NWA. If someone has a problem with sampling, listen to The Roots or the wonderful new Kendrick Lamar record instead of Paid in Full. It isn't hard at all to find exceptions to every argument that gets raised against the genre because, like every other genre, it is full of variety in both music and personalities.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #798
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Ok Diemen, I'll let it go. I hope young cobbler can do the same.
"Letting it go", but not without another dig at Cobbler's age. I hope you cross the line again and get the boot you deserve. Pretty sure no one here wants you around any longer.

And no one gives a fuck about your scholastic credentials. Anyone can take a course, you're clearly too obtuse to have learned much from it based on your posts.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #799
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Apparently my point about not lobbing insults wasn't clear enough.
Old 03-20-2015, 05:49 PM   #800
Refugee

Local Time: 12:56 AM
I don't think this was THE real Anonymous. They generally tend to fry much, much bigger fish than entertainers. Like someone else said in another thread, there are a lot of folks out there pretending to be THE Anonymous.

I grew suspicious when the relevant part of the video started--about 5:30 on--when they showed footage of world events and didn't even show Kanye's "GB doesn't like Black people" clip. HOW could they have missed that? If they wanted to remind Kanye how much potential he has as an artist with a voice, why not start with reminding him about that? Instead they sound like Internet Haterz ranting on for 5 minutes about fashion shows and stupid Kim crap before getting to the real point.

What's so special about Kanye that they target him? doesn't matter if the folks there are Kanye fans or not. They "target" who they want. I'd say Bono was much better candidate for a targeting after Dec 1, when everyone from BofA to Mayor DeBlasio to the NYPD to Bill plugging Hillary 2016 made an appearance at or were lauded at the (RED) event. Folks Anonymous can't exactly be fans of at the mo. You'd have thought that as far as Bono's fanboy squeeing for the Capitalists go, that would have been the straw that broke the camel's back for Anonymous.

And B wasn't even there. It would have been a perfect opportunity for Anonymous to lambast a guy who, unlike Kanye, with his close personal friendships with the 1%, DOES have the unique power to change the world in ways both good and very, very bad (eg: wonder why Jim Wolfenson got to be President of the World Bank? His confirmation was in serious danger as he was widely despised among European leaders; so via his buddy Larry Summers in the Bush Administration--you remember, the guy Bono went to Africa with, global media trailing along--he was told: "Go to Bono and give him some candy-coated crap about Africa, and he'll say nice things about you." Which is exactly what happened, Bono fell for his spiel like a ton of bricks, and once the Europeans learned that Bono liked him, enough of them changed their minds at the last second and voted to confirm him, so that he got the job. Naively they figured anyone Bono approved of couldn't be half so bad. I hope many rued that choice.
THAT's Power. )

Think that story is far-fetched? Well, welcome to Bono's world. It's true. I read it in a number of respected media sources at the time. You'd have thunk the folks at Anonymous have been keeping tabs with the company Bono has been keeping company with this past decade, and noting when the consequences have been negative. And some of those consequences have, b/c, even if Bono hadn't planned it that way. Instead they attack Kanye, who is not "behind the scenes" like Bono is with this stuff, and has far less real, actual power?
Old 03-20-2015, 06:28 PM   #801
45:33

Local Time: 11:56 AM
Well I am quite skinny so bean-pole is probably on the mark. I'll just block RaisedByWolves. I genuinely enjoy getting in debates on the internet when both sides are coming at it respectfully and willing to concede ground. I don't mind at all being insulted, this is the internet so it's inconsequential. I have gone over the top but I've done that because your arguments about hip-hop have been asinine, ignorant and wrong, as several others here have said, and I get very frustrated when you continue to jump into arguments about a genre you clearly don't like. I don't like metal, so I don't talk about it. Simple. Anyhoo, I'm done.
Old 03-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #802
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teta040 View Post
I don't think this was THE real Anonymous. They generally tend to fry much, much bigger fish than entertainers. Like someone else said in another thread, there are a lot of folks out there pretending to be THE Anonymous.

I grew suspicious when the relevant part of the video started--about 5:30 on--when they showed footage of world events and didn't even show Kanye's "GB doesn't like Black people" clip. HOW could they have missed that? If they wanted to remind Kanye how much potential he has as an artist with a voice, why not start with reminding him about that? Instead they sound like Internet Haterz ranting on for 5 minutes about fashion shows and stupid Kim crap before getting to the real point.

What's so special about Kanye that they target him? doesn't matter if the folks there are Kanye fans or not. They "target" who they want. I'd say Bono was much better candidate for a targeting after Dec 1, when everyone from BofA to Mayor DeBlasio to the NYPD to Bill plugging Hillary 2016 made an appearance at or were lauded at the (RED) event. Folks Anonymous can't exactly be fans of at the mo. You'd have thought that as far as Bono's fanboy squeeing for the Capitalists go, that would have been the straw that broke the camel's back for Anonymous.

And B wasn't even there. It would have been a perfect opportunity for Anonymous to lambast a guy who, unlike Kanye, with his close personal friendships with the 1%, DOES have the unique power to change the world in ways both good and very, very bad (eg: wonder why Jim Wolfenson got to be President of the World Bank? His confirmation was in serious danger as he was widely despised among European leaders; so via his buddy Larry Summers in the Bush Administration--you remember, the guy Bono went to Africa with, global media trailing along--he was told: "Go to Bono and give him some candy-coated crap about Africa, and he'll say nice things about you." Which is exactly what happened, Bono fell for his spiel like a ton of bricks, and once the Europeans learned that Bono liked him, enough of them changed their minds at the last second and voted to confirm him, so that he got the job. Naively they figured anyone Bono approved of couldn't be half so bad. I hope many rued that choice.
THAT's Power. )

Think that story is far-fetched? Well, welcome to Bono's world. It's true. I read it in a number of respected media sources at the time. You'd have thunk the folks at Anonymous have been keeping tabs with the company Bono has been keeping company with this past decade, and noting when the consequences have been negative. And some of those consequences have, b/c, even if Bono hadn't planned it that way. Instead they attack Kanye, who is not "behind the scenes" like Bono is with this stuff, and has far less real, actual power?

WTF

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference
Old 03-20-2015, 07:23 PM   #803
Blue Crack Supplier

Old 03-20-2015, 07:44 PM   #804
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teta040 View Post
Anyone who says they're Anonymous is Anonymous. That's the whole point of (and one of the many major problems with) Anonymous. It's a dangerous, amorphus blob of hate-filled white men who use their influence against genuinely bad people just frequently enough to convince themselves they're good people and not supreme assholes.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:54 PM   #805
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
It does take two to tango but let's be honest, everyone generally likes a strong debate that's what attracts people to forums like this. "The Bystander effect" as it is commonly called.
...not sure you fully comprehend The Bystander Effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
Anyone who says they're Anonymous is Anonymous. That's the whole point of (and one of the many major problems with) Anonymous. It's a dangerous, amorphus blob of hate-filled white men who use their influence against genuinely bad people just frequently enough to convince themselves they're good people and not supreme assholes.
Yup. The Anonymous kids on 4Chan are particularly dreadful. But the group years back who spearheaded the Scientology protests? Awesome
Old 03-21-2015, 08:43 AM   #806
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Guys. It takes guts to defende one's opinion on the internet. It is so lonely here.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #807
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
What are the arguments being levied at this stage? That Kanye is an asshole and that he misuses his influence? There's a lot of truth in that, but I don't get what I, as a fan of his music, am supposed to do about that. I'm merely a fan that listens to the music and attends the shows; I don't go out of my way to support his every endeavor, so I'm not certain what I'm meant to concede here. Am I supposed to change him by no longer listening to The College Dropout on my own time? Seems like a vain and illogical endeavor.

I've never read a broad critique of hip hop as a whole that was not based to some degree in subjectivity (nothing wrong with this, but there's nothing I can say to it either), ignorance and generalities and I doubt today will be the day that changes that. If someone has a problem with the "offensive" lyrics in rap, listen to Black Star instead of NWA. If someone has a problem with sampling, listen to The Roots or the wonderful new Kendrick Lamar record instead of Paid in Full. It isn't hard at all to find exceptions to every argument that gets raised against the genre because, like every other genre, it is full of variety in both music and personalities.

This is probably the single most worthwhile post in this entire thread. Bravo.

Sent from my ass crack

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #808
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
Guys. It takes guts to defende one's opinion on the internet. It is so lonely here.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #809
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
"Letting it go", but not without another dig at Cobbler's age. I hope you cross the line again and get the boot you deserve. Pretty sure no one here wants you around any longer.

And no one gives a fuck about your scholastic credentials. Anyone can take a course, you're clearly too obtuse to have learned much from it based on your posts.
Boot I deserve? It is fortunate for us all your not a mod otherwise.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #810
Ghost of Love

Stifle it, Edith

Sent from my ass crack

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

gvox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kanye west