Kanye West discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah Yeezus is like the Station to Station of hip-hop. MDBTF is a more sprawling but equally coked Tusk.

The last minute of New Slaves is transcendent in a weird way. Processing Ocean's vocals seems like a bad idea but it just works.

Thinking I might wait as well.

Here's the tracklist though:

On Sight
Black Skinhead
I Am A God (feat. Justin Vernon)
New Slaves (feat. Frank Ocean)
Hold My Liquor (feat. Chief Keef & Justin Vernon)
I'm In It (feat. Justin Vernon)
Blood on the Leaves (feat. Tony Williams)
Guilt Trip (feat. Kid Cudi)
Send It Up (feat. King L & IAMSU!)
Bound (feat. Charlie Wilson)

Daft Punk, Kanye, RZA among the producers.

This album gets me hyped as fuck. I was going to try to go to bed after my second listen but I got to Black Skinhead and was like fuck no let's go wrestle a grizzly bear or something.

Caught a projection in Melbourne last night
null_zps4a5d8f48.jpg

I find it more frightening that Kim Kardashian is a mother, but maybe that's just me.

In any case, I might try and work from home on Tuesday so I can run to Sonic Boom when they open, buy Sigur Ros and Kanye, and spend the rest of the day blasting both of them.

Not at the same time. Probably not.

It's so one-note to be honest. Braggadocio meets Suicide-like backbeats. Kind of reminds me of M.I.A.'s awful last album.

Got to give him points for being very uncompromising though. There really won't be any hit singles from this record.

Yeah I can see that comparison, but this one is far more successful at melding multiple genres into a coherent sound, and it communicates actual human feelings, on New Slaves and Blood on the Leaves anyway. It's mostly all brag rap, but this shit really moves me:

Let's take it back to the first party
When you tried your first molly
And came out of your body
And came out of your body
Running naked down the lobby
And you was screamin' that you love me
Before the limelight tore you
Before the limelight stole you
Remember we were so young
When I would hold you

The Death Grips influence on this album is being way overestimated, but I think Impy is going to love the fuck out of it anyway.

First half is incredible. The second hasn't made a lasting impression on me yet, except for Blood On the Leaves.

First half is incredible. The second hasn't made a lasting impression on me yet, except for Blood On the Leaves.

I find the first half to be consistently really good, but the second half has more of my favorites, combined with my least favorites. I'm In It is probably my least favorite track, whereas Blood on the Leaves and Guilt Trip are amazing. Most people will find Bound 2 really clunky, because it is, but I love it as a fucked up caricature of old soulful Kanye, coupled with some pretty self-depreciating lyricism. It works great in spite of itself.

That's $9.98 too much.

lololololololololololololololololol, or something.

JK, guyz. JK.

9.5 BNM

As always, subtracting 1 point from a Dombal review gives you the album's correct score.

86 on metacritc right now, prob going up with this because Pitchfork is heavily weighted. That's higher than Late Registration and one point lower than College Dropout, which isn't company it can hang with but it's a nice counterbalance to the people on HipHopDX who think the album is total shit.

I'd give it an 8.2 right now

Thoroughly, thoroughly underwhelmed on first listen. :(

Once Bound 2 finished (which I quite enjoyed) White Dress came on and made me all sad cos straight up it's better than everything on Yeezus.

I'm sure it'll grow on me, and I'm gonna listen to it again now. But damn. I have become a massive Kanye in the past two, three years, and given his last proper studio album is one of the greatest things ever I can't help but be disappointed.

Nah, two in this house aren't overjoyed by it.

It sounds like it has promise...but, at times "the bars he spits are kinda weak" (to quote the youth lol).

There are some great moments, and as usual for the most part the album pushes the envelope beat-wise, which is good.

But this is not anywhere near his best..or even top 3, imo.

So far, anyways.

Back
Top Bottom