Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Well well well this is a pretty extraordinary album. Some great soul/dance/r&b jams going on. Ten tracks split over 70 smooth, sexy minutes. ?uestlove reckons part two is coming later this year too.

Lead single was Suit n Tie

Justin Timberlake - Suit & Tie (Official) ft. JAY Z - YouTube

For reasons that are beyond my comprehension it wasn't very warmly received. I think it's fucking dope, even if Jay-Z's verse is pretty ordinary.

Next single was Mirrors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuZE_IRwLN

So what are people's thoughts so far? Myself, LM, Laz, Niels and joyful are on record as enjoying it.

I like every track, though I think Mirrors is slightly overrated. My favourites so far are Pusher Love Girl, Suit & Tie, Strawberry Bubblegum, That Girl, Let the Groove Get In :)drool::drool::drool:) and wowee, can we talk about the closer, Blue Ocean Floor?! What a track.

Imp is also a fan.

I don't have the record yet. I ordered it but it has not arrived. I loved every single track the two times I listened to the stream, and all the TV performances the last couple of weeks, but I don't know the songs to be able to talk about them yet. I was struck by Mirrors right away (the opening!) and after two listens the chorus was stuck in my head. I imagine we're all gonna hate this song in a few months from over-saturation but that won't change the fact that before we started hating it it was damn good.

I'm off to NYC for work and play but my copy of The 20/20 Experience will be waiting for me when I get back.

It's my favorite album of the year so far. That's quite a feat as R&B isn't exactly my genre (though I'm warming up to it more and more).

I mentioned this in RMT: Don't Hold the Wall - Strawberry Bubblegum - Tunnel Vision is where it's at. My least favorite is Pusher Love Girl. Blue Ocean Floor is also amazing. It's surprising to find that much emotion in a JT song.

And cobbler, do you really not like FutureSex? I don't think it's as good as this album, mainly because it's not as consistent but the first half is killer.

Honestly I haven't heard it. At the time I lumped him in with all the other pop artists on the radio, ones who I'd enjoy a single of here and there but never properly check out. But this one I'm really liking straight through. You're right about the emotion in Blue Ocean Floor.

The two bonus tracks I've got (Danny Boy will tell us if there's more) are great too, Dress On and Body Count.

Good album.

Pusher Love Girl has some pretty insipid lyrics though. Gimme some of ya love heroin, bitch. Strap on the tourniquet of caring. Let's take this metaphor as far as it can go.

I need to get this album, considering my wolf pack friends have already bought tickets for a show. (Mostly for Jay-Z, but Justin's last album was pretty solid.)

Imp is also a fan.

Understatement. I adore it. Gimme dat "Don't Hold the Wall" -> "Strawberry Bubblegum" -> "Tunnel Vision."

One thing I've really enjoyed about the album is how everyone I've talked to seems to have different favorites. For me it's "Blue Ocean Floor," for another friend it's "Pusher Lover Girl," and for another it's "That Girl." It's kind of remarkable to me that there's a consensus that it's a wonderful album but there isn't one on what its key tracks are.

Fantastic album. The me of a decade ago cringes at the me of now. But the me of now shrugs in response.

not sure about this - saw an ad for it on tv the other day... is he doing a Harry Conick Junior?? stylised and croony?? or is it more contemporary but just in a suit??

Futuresex is a masterpiece.

Not big on Mirrors, but Suit and Tie sounds so good when I hear it on the radio, even if it doesn't blow my mind.

Personally, I hated the ice cold production on Futresex and thought there were only a handful of really good songs, generally singles that got overplayed (My Love, What Goes Around) and a couple decent deep cuts (title track, LoveStoned). SexyBack and Losing My Way are laughable.

20/20 is much, much better.

Glad I don't listen to the radio so the singles never get overplayed for me. :)

I daresay I haven't liked a straight-up pop album this much in years, possibly since Thriller.

What's straight up pop? Dance? R&B? Can there be guitars? Personally I don't think this album is all that radio friendly, I'd say it's more like The-Dream. Hooks with creative, sprawling arrangements.

It is up there with what Robyn's been doing lately though, if we're talking about quality. The Fame Monster could compete too for best pop album of recent years.

Personally, I hated the ice cold production on Futresex and thought there were only a handful of really good songs, generally singles that got overplayed (My Love, What Goes Around) and a couple decent deep cuts (title track, LoveStoned). SexyBack and Losing My Way are laughable.

20/20 is much, much better.

I Think That She Knows is maybe my favorite thing on the album. Not sure if you're including that in your mention of LoveStoned.

Damn Girl is a great little pop song.

I have yet to really enjoy a single song I have heard by JT solo. I've only heard Suit and Tie once and I can't claim to really be in love with it, but it's better than some of his older stuff. It just sounds a bit too much like him trying to be this generation's Michael Jackson or something.

Anyways, you all love it so much, I suppose I'll have to listen to it, but there's about 14 years of JT hatred going into that listen, we'll see what happens.

It just sounds a bit too much like him trying to be this generation's Michael Jackson or something.

Trying?

He doesn't dance as well but he makes up for it with a respectable acting career.

I'm beating a dead horse here but Jackson's actual music doesn't do anything for me. I'll take FutureSex/Lovesounds and 20/20 over Thriller and Bad.

I just feel like the *way* he sings, the tone of his voice, is so reminiscent of Jackson that I almost don't see the point.

I admire this album's ambition much more than I enjoy listening to it, which is a bit of a slog. There's 3 or 4 great three and a half minute pop tunes here, unfortunately they all go several minutes beyond that. Mirrors is just a beast of a power ballad tho, imbued with the strength of 10 Diane Warrens.

Back
Top Bottom