Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly I think Mirrors is my least favourite at this point. Definitely a few tracks that could be five minutes instead of 7-8 though.

I'd say his solo debut was his MJ joint. FutureSex was his Prince album. This is him doing, I dunno, Al Green? Marvin Gaye? Frank Ocean??

Man, Suit and Tie through Spaceship is one of the strongest sections of any record not released by Tame Impala in the past couple years. Loving this record.

I Think That She Knows is maybe my favorite thing on the album.

Same.

I haven't listened to the new record yet because I was unimpressed with the single. I've got it lined up, though, and I'll give it a go because I really dig FutureSex/LoveSounds.

That's a sweet pick up. The album art is amazing/hilarious. You have to admire a guy taking the piss out of his own painful divorce proceedings.

I pretty much adore the album, but I can't stand "Don't Hold the Wall." It may be a placement thing. It's the only thing, dare I say, keeping me from giving 20/20 a 10/10.

I'm still not convinced about this album like you guys are. I like it quite a bit, with reservations.

Think of the people JT has been compared to lately. Kanye, Prince, Marvin Gaye, Frank Ocean...aren't these extremely self-reflective people with something to say about themselves and society? 20/20 is a great, warm record to sit down with, but I'm never going to learn anything from it. The lyrics are just kind of there. I dunno, maybe I'm the only one who cares, it's probably just the comparisons bugging me. But I doubt I'll still be listening to this when I'm supposed to pick an AOTY if there's nothing about it that really stirs me. His influences usually did that.

Easily my favorite part of this album is Timbaland. JT's got a great voice, but Timbaland supplies most of this album's appeal through its awesome grooves.

Best since Cee-Lo's The Lady Killer for me. Probably my favourite of the year so far too, on my third listen.

wow ok! Lady Killer was fantastic, i love that album!

the thought of Timberlake makes me wince though tbh what with the whole disney kid thing :crack:

Wow thats a huge number by today's standards. Good to see that many people are still paying for music, I guess.

Think of the people JT has been compared to lately. Kanye, Prince, Marvin Gaye, Frank Ocean...aren't these extremely self-reflective people with something to say about themselves and society? 20/20 is a great, warm record to sit down with, but I'm never going to learn anything from it. The lyrics are just kind of there. I dunno, maybe I'm the only one who cares, it's probably just the comparisons bugging me. But I doubt I'll still be listening to this when I'm supposed to pick an AOTY if there's nothing about it that really stirs me. His influences usually did that.

Good point. Lyrically he sounds like a man who's in love and genuinely content with his life; good for him. I appreciate him not trying to project more depth by saying he's really bummed despite being universally famous, massively rich and married to a beautiful woman. But it's not compelling.

Take Spaceship Coupe, which I think is by far the worst song. If you're singing about taking your lady for a ride in a outer space, you've got to sell that shit. In his prime, Prince could totally take that goofy concept and make you buy into it. R Kelly probably could too. JT, not so much.

As good as I was hoping it'd be, if not better. Only song that isn't really doing much for me is Mirrors, which seems like blatant radiobait, but Blue Ocean Floor more than makes up for it at the end.

Remember how fucking awesome My Love etc. sounded in 06/07 after pop had been almost uniformly awful for the entirety of that decade? I was getting that same vibe with Suit & Tie on the few times I've caught mainstream radio in the past couple of months. Good feeling. Love you, JT. Could probably tone down the drug references a little so they ain't in the thousands but I'm not complaining.

Pretty good piece from Grantland
I don't necessarily agree with all of it (tho I do with much of it) as a review, but I do think it nicely describes the arc of Timberlake's career to where he is now.

In the early '00s, rockcrit law required any positive review of Justin Timberlake's music to include the phrase "guilty pleasure" at least once. The guy was a presumed lightweight; Justified as an album title was defensive long before it was boastful. "Cry Me a River" and "My Love" (not to mention "Rock Your Body," "Like I Love You," "SexyBack," and "What Goes Around") rank among the best pop singles of the '00s because they had to be for Timberlake to get any respect.
That this narrative has completely flipped, to the point where people barely remember Timberlake's past, is his finest magic trick.

Did anyone ever play Mario Kart Wii?

The sounds of female satisfaction that start in the second half of "Spaceship Coupe" sound a lot like the sounds that Baby Peach would make if you did a long jump off a boost ramp or if you got hit with a green shell or some shit.

I played it once and was disgusted. 64 or nothin'.

I'm definitely a bandwagoner, by the way. Didn't think I'd ever buy a JT album. Love it.

Listened to this just now and wasn't as engaged with it as I was when the stream first went up. Good but at 70 minutes not something I'll reach for that often.

That Girl and Suit And Tie are my favorites I think. Great hooks all over those two. Don't Hold The Wall and Let The Groove In are growing on me but still feel way too long for what they are.

Back
Top Bottom