Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess Tapestry Prince is less offensive than Hologram Prince?

I thought the idea was tacky anyway, but then realized the game was in Minneapolis so it was kind of a nice tribute. Of course, it would have been better with artists other than some white guy, regardless of how talented JT is. Since NBC owns The Roots, couldn’t they have been ordered to show up? Or would that have shown bias towards Philadelphia? Anyway, an assortment of artists covering Prince songs would have been cool with me.

Having said all that, I thought Timber did a great job, even if it seemed like he played 10 different songs. And that Dance, Dance, Dance Song is still catchy as fuck.

Yeah, like why the fuck wouldn't you get Sheila E or something to do the Prince bit?!

He's perfect for that slot, so no surprise he was great. I've seen him live and he's terrific. But fucking hell the new album is abominably bad.

I seem to be the minority that thought he was absolutely abysmal.

Most of the internet seems to think so; the reviews I read have the feel of a pile-on.

I thought it was a fine halftime show, although the Prince projection (but not the tribute itself) felt like a wrong move. My big critique is that he put too many songs in his medley; the show was switching gears so much it had trouble building to memorable musical moments.

The fact the show was almost entirely older songs is... telling.

For me, it was just bland. I didn’t find it atrocious, just really boring and unmemorable. The Prince tribute still felt weird, though not as bad as a hologram would’ve been. All-around, I think it ranks near the bottom for Super Bowl halftime shows.

Back
Top Bottom