Joanna Newsom – Have One On Me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saracene

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Melbourne, Australia, some time after tea
Has anyone had a chance to listen to it yet?

I have, all three discs :yikes: I think it's a gorgeous, exquisite piece of music but at 124 minutes it's really just too damn long. Eventually the lack of variety becomes a problem and I start craving for songs that pick a melody and stick with it and don't wander all over the shop (however beautifully). Not that it necessarily makes the album a failure but I don't think I'll ever listen to it in entirety again. So it's nice that's it's helpfully split into three CDs.

finally a thread about a good album

amazing work, I don't know if it is her best ("Ys" is too good), but definitely one of the best of this year so far, beautiful tunes, great lyrics, weird mood as usual

I think it's a gorgeous, exquisite piece of music

From a look at the inside pictures, there's no doubt that she's a gorgeous, exquisite piece of ass. :drool:

Album was alright. Could use about six editors.

Saracene and JitB, what are your favorite songs at this point?

difficult choice, "81" was a great teaser for this album, but I think right now I'm in love with "Soft as chalk", three cds are full of great songs

I really like '81 as well! I actually really like On A Good Day that I posted the Fleet Foxes dude's cover of before. I guess I"m a fan of having short songs after the 17 minute track being my favorite on Y's. :laugh:

I actually met her last year, at the Kentucky Derby. Interesting woman.

No way could I listen to her music for a whole hour, but, definitely interesting stuff. I like her lyrics a lot better than the music/voice itself.

I managed to listen to the entire thing in one go, and I didn't start to get bored until about halfway through disc 3. Really very, very good. It's like a new Tori Amos album...well, no, not a new Tori Amos album, as that would imply that it's awful. More like Little Earthquakes on steroids. Or maybe a more ambitious Regina Spektor. Will I return to this? Doubtful, but it is absolutely deserving of the accolades, and it does make me want to listen to her more manageable records.

How did I miss this thread entirely.

I adore both Have One On Me and Milk-Eyes Mender. Ys is possibly my favorite album of the decade, however.

I have really enjoyed Have One on Me. I tried Ys several times, but it never quite registered with me; Have One seems a bit more restrained, which is odd considering that it is a triple album.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom