Jimmy Chamberlin leaves the Pumpkins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kudos to him for milking this reunion just long enough to earn millions before cashing out and saving some dignity. :applaud:

Dignity is no longer a variable, in this particular equation. Dignity was shown the door like a decade ago, at this point.

Dignity is no longer a variable, in this particular equation. Dignity was shown the door like a decade ago, at this point.

I never thought I'd think of Smashing Pumpkins and Guns 'N Roses in the same way, but this pretty much describes how I feel about both of these bands now. An eccentric lead singer who always got most of the attention anyway who's now playing with a bunch of easily replaceable session guys and cashing in on a legacy. :down:

I don't know why this was considered a reunion in the first place. I don't give a fuck who you are, it's not a real reunion if half the original members aren't there in the first place. The "new" Pumpkins were basically Zwan with independent-minded talent (Pajo, Lenchantin, and Sweeney) removed. Not surprisingly, the new album sucked compared to Mary Star of the Sea.

Like the Van Halen brothers, when that many people leave your musical enterprises over disagreements, you're probably the problem, not them. So basically, Corgan can go fuck himself, and I say that as someone who also likes Machina and Adore.

I don't know why this was considered a reunion in the first place. I don't give a fuck who you are, it's not a real reunion if half the original members aren't there in the first place. The "new" Pumpkins were basically Zwan with independent-minded talent (Pajo, Lenchantin, and Sweeney) removed. Not surprisingly, the new album sucked compared to Mary Star of the Sea.

Like the Van Halen brothers, when that many people leave your musical enterprises over disagreements, you're probably the problem, not them. So basically, Corgan can go fuck himself, and I say that as someone who also likes Machina and Adore.

Billy Corgan's on a Got Milk? ad at my school, which cracked me up. When I think of health, I think of The Corgan.

That's it, the Pumpkins are over. If Billy continues the band after this, I won't be buying their albums or supporting them in any way. It's not the Pumpkins anymore.

He should go back to a solo career. I liked that solo album he did.

Well, this is becoming a laughing stock just like Guns n' Roses. Similar stage incidents, too.

Well, I was willing to give the new lineup a chance. The fact that Jimmy and Billy were the only ones on Zeitgeist, and the other two just toured with them, was enough for me. I also thought Zeitgeist was really good (although it seemed a lot of SP fans hated it.)

But if it's just Billy, it's a solo act. Not the Pumpkins anymore. I will have no respect for him if he continues the band after this.

I've always thought Billy Corgan should've just been a songwriter and guitarist. Maybe this can be his chance. Oh wait, he's too egomaniacal to let someone else share the spotlight.

This was on RollingStone.com yesterday:

Days after Rock Daily reported that Jimmy Chamberlin was exiting the Smashing Pumpkins, the drummer took to his official blog to explain his side of the story. “By now you have heard the news of my departure from the Smashing Pumpkins. I will say, without going into any unnecessary details that this represents a positive move forward for me,” Chamberlin writes. “I can no longer commit all of my energy into something that I don’t fully possess. I won’t pretend I’m into something I’m not. I won’t do it to myself, you the fan, or my former partner. I can’t just, ‘Cash the check’ so to speak.”

The “cash the check” line is especially striking, considering the Smashing Pumpkins have really “sold out” as the kids say in recent years, popping up in plenty of commercials. There’s the Morgan Freeman-narrated Visa commercial featuring “Today,” the Hyundai ad featuring new track “F.O.L.” that aired during the Super Bowl, “That’s the Way (My Love Is)” in a Ford commercial, the Guitar Hero: World Tour exclusive track “G.L.O.W.” Add it all up and the Pumpkins have pretty much become the Yellow Pages. Plus, perhaps Chamberlin further soured on sticking with the band after Corgan testified in Washington, D.C. in favor of the fan-maligned Live Nation Ticketmaster merger.

As for Corgan going all Axl Rose and continuing on as the Smashing Pumpkins, Chamberlin — the Pumpkin who stuck with Billy the longest, even playing in Zwan — says, “My best goes out to Billy and I’m glad he has chosen to continue under the name. It is his right.” Chamberlin adds, “Music is my life. It is sacred. It deserves the highest commitment at every level and the Pumpkins are certainly no different. I’m sorry but it really IS that simple. There is no drama, bad blood, or anything else but a full commitment to music.” Chamberlin writes that he’ll continue to make music with his Jimmy Chamberlin Complex and other musical interests.

Back
Top Bottom