Jay-Z - Converts and Hat Eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan_smee

ONE love, blood, life
Hi all,

Didn't see a current Jay-Z thread that didn't just relate to whinging/cheering re him performing with U2 on SBS and Scarlet.

Just wanted to start a list of those that are converts after seeing him support U2 in Aus/NZ, or are already fans.

Have to say, he was the perfect support act. I went into the show determined not to like it after Kanye West was so awful opening in 06, and thinking that in general rap didn't work well in a stdium, and didn't work well supporting U2.

Jay-Z, I am sorry.

I bought The Blueprint 3 and the Black Album the next day, and once I have digested those, I will be buying more.

I saw a performance of his from a Glastonbury festival where he incorporated the music of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" into a song of his. I thought it was incredibly cool.

When I was younger I never used to care for songs of his like "Big Pimpin'" or that "H to the IZZO" song (and still don't, really), but I did always like "Can I Get A...", and there's some of his more recent songs that are quite good.

I don't get why people are freaking out over him opening up for U2. If his music isn't your cup of tea, that's fine, but then I guess just do what you normally do when any opening act U2 has had didn't grab you. U2 has a lot of respect among the rap/hip-hop community, so it's not THAT strange that people like him would open up for them. I just don't understand why it bothers some people so much.

Angela

Hate to say I told you so but

I told you so

And that's plural for others who find this thread.

I am cap in hand my friend.

I don't think I ever said I don;t like him or his music (never really had an opinion before Monday night), but I just didn't tink he was right for U2

I saw a performance of his from a Glastonbury festival where he incorporated the music of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" into a song of his. I thought it was incredibly cool.

When I was younger I never used to care for songs of his like "Big Pimpin'" or that "H to the IZZO" song (and still don't, really), but I did always like "Can I Get A...", and there's some of his more recent songs that are quite good.

I don't get why people are freaking out over him opening up for U2. If his music isn't your cup of tea, that's fine, but then I guess just do what you normally do when any opening act U2 has had didn't grab you. U2 has a lot of respect among the rap/hip-hop community, so it's not THAT strange that people like him would open up for them. I just don't understand why it bothers some people so much.

Angela

It bothered me because Kanye West was such a terrible opening act. The gamble didn't seem worth it t go through the same again.

My simple point is that the vast majority of people you are intending this message for won't see it, and people who never whined about Jay-Z are the ones who are going to read it.

My simple point is that the vast majority of people you are intending this message for won't see it, and people who never whined about Jay-Z are the ones who are going to read it.

But, I want to talk to people who like Jay-Z... That's all I'm after

Sure I did say I want to start a list of those eople, but they will find it (and if they don't so be it) there is no thread active for Jay-Z appreciation in the forum

I'd be interested to read people's responses to this thread regardless of which section it's put in. I think this could get very interesting.

It bothered me because Kanye West was such a terrible opening act. The gamble didn't seem worth it t go through the same again.

That seems a strange line of thinking. That'd be like saying if a rock band that opened up for U2 failed to capture the crowd, it'd be a risk to let another rock band open for them.

But in the end, it seems you changed your mind, so hey...:). I know there's always running jokes about opening acts and how little attention or support a lot of them tend to get, but I always go in with an open mind. If they turn out to be good, cool, potential new artist for me to get into. If they suck, well, then that's a shame, but eh, it happens.

Angela

I guess you and I just have different opinions on what "converts and hat eaters" means, then. Fair enough.

Carry on.

A convert can be a convert from any time. No need to be a prick about it. I apologise if my title isn't satisfactory for you, good sir.

How may I change it so tht it will please you?

I'd be interested to read people's responses to this thread regardless of which section it's put in. I think this could get very interesting.

That seems a strange line of thinking. That'd be like saying if a rock band that opened up for U2 failed to capture the crowd, it'd be a risk to let another rock band open for them.

But in the end, it seems you changed your mind, so hey...:). I know there's always running jokes about opening acts and how little attention or support a lot of them tend to get, but I always go in with an open mind. If they turn out to be good, cool, potential new artist for me to get into. If they suck, well, then that's a shame, but eh, it happens.

Angela

It was mostly because Kanye's shortcomings seemed to be that the stadium setting wasn't suited to fast talking, and intricate layered beats. You missed all that, and he just seemed out of breathe and flat because of it. It wasn't his fault, it was mostly the sound system and the acoustic of the stadium.

Hi all,

Didn't see a current Jay-Z thread that didn't just relate to whinging/cheering re him performing with U2 on SBS and Scarlet.

Just wanted to start a list of those that are converts after seeing him support U2 in Aus/NZ, or are already fans.

Have to say, he was the perfect support act. I went into the show determined not to like it after Kanye West was so awful opening in 06, and thinking that in general rap didn't work well in a stdium, and didn't work well supporting U2.

Jay-Z, I am sorry.

I bought The Blueprint 3 and the Black Album the next day, and once I have digested those, I will be buying more.

Now download the Gray Album, mixing up U2's latest collaborators efforts.

Hate to say I told you so but

He hasn't converted me at all, however he was better than Kanye. I still think he was "in the wrong place tonight" :wink: but hey it probably got few extra punters to a U2 concert who normally wouldn't go and as dan has already posted a few U2 fans into Jay-Z.

How may I change it so tht it will please you?

I don't think its humanly possible here.

Really? I would have gone more chronological, but I don't think he'll top The Black Album either.

I think Blueprint 3 has some very accessible songs. Fans def would like Black album etc more, but for someone becoming a fan, it's like telling them to get the Joshua Tree or ATYCLB first. I'd be saying TUF is the best, but it isn't going to hook the fans in like the other two.

Empire State of Mind, Run This Town, Young Forever, DOA, On to the Next One, all very likeable, accessible songs

I don't think its humanly possible here.

SPMLNW.jpg

i'd probably suggest blueprint 3. it strikes me as being more accessible.

But it's awful. No different than recommending ATYCLB for its accessibility, tbh. "Accessibility" is also kind of a silly concept when discussing one of the biggest mainstream rappers of the past two decades.

Reasonable Doubt and Blueprint 1. If you don't like either, don't bother.

Back
Top Bottom