Jay-Z - Converts and Hat Eaters - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:47 PM
Jay-Z - Converts and Hat Eaters

Hi all,

Didn't see a current Jay-Z thread that didn't just relate to whinging/cheering re him performing with U2 on SBS and Scarlet.

Just wanted to start a list of those that are converts after seeing him support U2 in Aus/NZ, or are already fans.

Have to say, he was the perfect support act. I went into the show determined not to like it after Kanye West was so awful opening in 06, and thinking that in general rap didn't work well in a stdium, and didn't work well supporting U2.

Jay-Z, I am sorry.

I bought The Blueprint 3 and the Black Album the next day, and once I have digested those, I will be buying more.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:47 PM
I saw a performance of his from a Glastonbury festival where he incorporated the music of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" into a song of his. I thought it was incredibly cool.

When I was younger I never used to care for songs of his like "Big Pimpin'" or that "H to the IZZO" song (and still don't, really), but I did always like "Can I Get A...", and there's some of his more recent songs that are quite good.

I don't get why people are freaking out over him opening up for U2. If his music isn't your cup of tea, that's fine, but then I guess just do what you normally do when any opening act U2 has had didn't grab you. U2 has a lot of respect among the rap/hip-hop community, so it's not THAT strange that people like him would open up for them. I just don't understand why it bothers some people so much.

Angela

Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #3
45:33

Hate to say I told you so but

I told you so

And that's plural for others who find this thread.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:47 PM
This thread seems intended for the EYKIW audience, not the B&C audience.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Hate to say I told you so but

I told you so

And that's plural for others who find this thread.
I am cap in hand my friend.

I don't think I ever said I don;t like him or his music (never really had an opinion before Monday night), but I just didn't tink he was right for U2
Old 12-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
This thread seems intended for the EYKIW audience, not the B&C audience.
It is a thread about other artists music
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I saw a performance of his from a Glastonbury festival where he incorporated the music of "Sunday Bloody Sunday" into a song of his. I thought it was incredibly cool.

When I was younger I never used to care for songs of his like "Big Pimpin'" or that "H to the IZZO" song (and still don't, really), but I did always like "Can I Get A...", and there's some of his more recent songs that are quite good.

I don't get why people are freaking out over him opening up for U2. If his music isn't your cup of tea, that's fine, but then I guess just do what you normally do when any opening act U2 has had didn't grab you. U2 has a lot of respect among the rap/hip-hop community, so it's not THAT strange that people like him would open up for them. I just don't understand why it bothers some people so much.

Angela
It bothered me because Kanye West was such a terrible opening act. The gamble didn't seem worth it t go through the same again.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

My simple point is that the vast majority of people you are intending this message for won't see it, and people who never whined about Jay-Z are the ones who are going to read it.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:27 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
My simple point is that the vast majority of people you are intending this message for won't see it, and people who never whined about Jay-Z are the ones who are going to read it.
But, I want to talk to people who like Jay-Z... That's all I'm after

Sure I did say I want to start a list of those eople, but they will find it (and if they don't so be it) there is no thread active for Jay-Z appreciation in the forum
Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
But, I want to talk to people who like Jay-Z... That's all I'm after
I guess you and I just have different opinions on what "converts and hat eaters" means, then. Fair enough.

Carry on.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #11
The Male

Local Time: 06:47 PM
Haven't you guys learned about sequels? Just because you bought the first Blueprint doesn't mean you need the third.

Reasonable Doubt

YouTube - Jay Z - Can't Knock The Hustle

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 08:47 PM
I'd be interested to read people's responses to this thread regardless of which section it's put in. I think this could get very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
It bothered me because Kanye West was such a terrible opening act. The gamble didn't seem worth it t go through the same again.
That seems a strange line of thinking. That'd be like saying if a rock band that opened up for U2 failed to capture the crowd, it'd be a risk to let another rock band open for them.

But in the end, it seems you changed your mind, so hey.... I know there's always running jokes about opening acts and how little attention or support a lot of them tend to get, but I always go in with an open mind. If they turn out to be good, cool, potential new artist for me to get into. If they suck, well, then that's a shame, but eh, it happens.

Angela
Old 12-16-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I guess you and I just have different opinions on what "converts and hat eaters" means, then. Fair enough.

Carry on.
A convert can be a convert from any time. No need to be a prick about it. I apologise if my title isn't satisfactory for you, good sir.

How may I change it so tht it will please you?
Old 12-16-2010, 10:43 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
I'd be interested to read people's responses to this thread regardless of which section it's put in. I think this could get very interesting.

That seems a strange line of thinking. That'd be like saying if a rock band that opened up for U2 failed to capture the crowd, it'd be a risk to let another rock band open for them.

But in the end, it seems you changed your mind, so hey.... I know there's always running jokes about opening acts and how little attention or support a lot of them tend to get, but I always go in with an open mind. If they turn out to be good, cool, potential new artist for me to get into. If they suck, well, then that's a shame, but eh, it happens.

Angela
It was mostly because Kanye's shortcomings seemed to be that the stadium setting wasn't suited to fast talking, and intricate layered beats. You missed all that, and he just seemed out of breathe and flat because of it. It wasn't his fault, it was mostly the sound system and the acoustic of the stadium.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
The Male

Local Time: 06:47 PM
YouTube - Kanye West - All of the Lights (FULL) ft. Rihanna, Kid Cudi, Elton John, Alicia Keys, et al.

I would kill to hear this song in a stadium. Gold Digger just wasn't epic enough at the time.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote