Japanese music appreciation thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mack_Again

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
fuck it, I'll do this.

so lately I noticed that weebs online know more Japanese music than myself, so I decided to finally appreciate music from the country I grew up in.

just feel free to whatever music from Japan you encountered.

Arashi!

Perfume!

SHINee! (Korean - but their Japanese releases are better) :heart:

X!

Utada Hikaru!

Kyary Pamyu Pamyu

Radwimps!

Sekai No Owari!

BRING IT ON!! I love me some J Pop/Rock/Punk.

:wave::wave::wave:

seriously from the name, I seriously thought Sekai No Owari was some heavy ass doom metal band and when I actually listened to their music, I got immensely disappointed

I suppose I'll be the first to mention Mono. Their last album is their best so far. Immense, and immensely relistenable.

Boris, of course, bring it.

I enjoyed the one Tricot album I've heard. Mass of the Fermenting Dregs too.

And it's been ages since I've listened to té or Envy, but good memories. Though my best memory associated with Envy is tangential: they did a split with Jesu, and Jesu's contribution of The Stars That Hang Above You is one of the finest drone metal/dronegaze songs in existence.

My knowledge of Japanese music is pretty slight.

seriously from the name, I seriously thought Sekai No Owari was some heavy ass doom metal band and when I actually listened to their music, I got immensely disappointed

Sorry - my Robbie avatar may give you a hint that I am more of a pop fan. I do love Babymetal and Ladybeard though. Good fun. I saw Babymetal live in Sapporo a couple of years back and it was arguably the best crowd I've ever been a part of.

I suppose I'll be the first to mention Mono. Their last album is their best so far. Immense, and immensely relistenable.

Boris, of course, bring it.

I enjoyed the one Tricot album I've heard. Mass of the Fermenting Dregs too.

And it's been ages since I've listened to té or Envy, but good memories. Though my best memory associated with Envy is tangential: they did a split with Jesu, and Jesu's contribution of The Stars That Hang Above You is one of the finest drone metal/dronegaze songs in existence.

My knowledge of Japanese music is pretty slight.

well I can assure you that 99% of Japanese people don't know those bands, so you're good

well I am....a tiny bit disappointed by new Mouse on the Keys album but im going to their show next month, so im excited for that, for sure.

Aside from Mono, all the Japanese music I like is from '97-'99 when I was there. Not really sure if any of those artists are worth mentioning.

A really weird, really great TV show that takes very little investment, and is essential viewing.

its so weird because apparently its Japanese anime but only released as OVA in Japan and essentially nobody knows about it while almost every nerd in US knows about the show

Love how Fishmans has become the ultimate Japanese band for the nerds on RYM.

I think I listened once, but clearly it left a limited impression because I don't recall for sure.

I only remember the name but I havent checked them out.

but seriously im sure nerds in RYM know more Japanese music than myself, so, you know?

also seems like Japanese people that Westerners like seem to be, like, just some japanese ripoff of alt rock bands that I already know and that doesnt really excite me

Last edited:
I looked up and I can't find it, so possibly it only exists on youtube or somewhere, I don't know

Oh I know for a fact it's on YouTube. I just hate listening to stuff there, partly because it usually sounds like arse and partly because I can't scrobble it (except manually).

ok I found it
its like, noisy version of shitty j pop rock I encountered on the radio in early 2000s.

man this vocal, its, just, murdering my ears and nerves.

Back
Top Bottom