Japandroids - Celebration Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I downloaded this and first listened to it like forever ago and not even sure why given that I didn't care too much for the first one.

But dayuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. This is the rock record everyone has been (or should have been) waiting for. You might as well just kill yourself if "Nights of Wine and Roses" doesn't excite you. :up:

Actually, I'm sitting on the edge of thinking the songs are awesome and thinking they should be great in the exact same way as the hold steady's constructive summer. However, I feel that way about all the tunes, and that's the only hold steady song I can tolerate. So they've got one up on them for that, I guess. Or I could just talk my brain into stopping this futile trying to compare them to other bands thing, especially since its not even in a musical sense.

Fun, fun record. It really lives up to it's moniker.

But what's up with bands not having this:

images

Japandroids
White Stripes
Black Keys
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

All these good bands w/o bass players.

Me no dig no bassie. bring funk.

I love Titus Andronicus and Japandroids.

I want to hear more aggressive (yet catchy/melodic) rock music such as this.

Me too. Seems like there's a lack of that these days, but maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. Regardless, enjoying this album.

Yeah, this is great. This is some hot, hot shit. Glad I bought it. The lyrics are pretty cool too, particularly on tracks like Nights of Wine and Roses and Younger Us. "Remember that night you were already in bed and then you said "fuck it" and got up to drink with me instead". Love it.

My only problem is that Continuous Thunder doesn't end on a scintillating solo or chaotic breakdown. The fireworks are cool at the start of the record but for an album that doesn't let up for a second it's kind of a bummer of an ending. Otherwise great track.

Oh, my other problem is all runs together. But no biggie. That'll sort itself out over time.

I think Nights of Wine and Roses and Adrenaline Nightshift are my favourites.

These were the bonus tracks, and if someone could tell me if I've labelled these right I'd appreciate it:

Heavenward Grand Prix (original)
Art Czars (original)
Sex and Dying in High Society (X)
Shame (PJ Harvey)
Racer-X (Big Black)
Jack the Ripper (Nick Cave)

Fun, fun record. It really lives up to it's moniker.

But what's up with bands not having this:

images

Japandroids
White Stripes
Black Keys
Yeah Yeah Yeahs

All these good bands w/o bass players.

Me no dig no bassie. bring funk.

I can't even tell, to be honest. The album certainly doesn't suffer for it.

Cobbler likes a punk album. Well, I know what I'm buying next.

u2popmofo said:
Celebration Rock, it is a brand new rock.

I read this, walked away, and for ten minutes could not figure out what put revolution rock in my head presumably from nowhere.

bump for the album of the year.

i keep listening to it and it keeps getting better and better.

these guys are really fantastic players, they fill up SO much space.
a simple idea, executed brilliantly.
I love David Prowse's kinetic, melodic drumming, and how Brian King lets the high notes on the guitar ring while he simultaneously thumbs out bass parts on his guitars. He's got a lot of amps on stage when he's playing, it would seem, and he uses them to fantastic effect.

got tix for PFork friday just to see them (it's a dreadful festival and location, but i'll "suffer" those conditions to see this shit live!). Poor me.

and i haven't even mentioned the best part: the songwriting.

i'll wax effusive on that the next time i bump this thread.

Celebration Rock is $2.99 on Amazon MP3 today, for anyone who still needs or wants to hear it (e.g. me).

Holy shit, this is the best album ever to crank the fuck up when you're really pissy.

I'm going to have to play this again when it's done.

LOUDER.

I'm afraid of what would happen if I started driving around with this cranked. There would be cruel irony in me saving up for a Japandroids gig only to get a speeding ticket listening to Celebration Rock.

Holy shit, this is the best album ever to crank the fuck up when you're really pissy.

I'm going to have to play this again when it's done.

LOUDER.

Yes! Will be cranking this one full tilt this evening while drinking beer and fist pumping.:hyper:

Well damn, this thing is definitely a shot of adrenaline. All of it ran together a bit for me, with the exception of the brilliant "House That Heaven Built," but it was an enjoyable run nonetheless.

Well damn, this thing is definitely a shot of adrenaline. All of it ran together a bit for me, with the exception of the brilliant "House That Heaven Built," but it was an enjoyable run nonetheless.

Yeah, I loved that song so much that I was almost disappointed with the album at first for not entirely being of the same quality. Great song.

Ok, I was going to say this album is fairly awesome. then I realized I actually bought post-nothing instead. Herp derp. But I like it.

The covers are almost exactly the same...except for the album titles plastered on there. :wink:

Except that when theyre thumbnail size and I cant actually see the words. I also thought it a pretty logical assumption that the new one everyone is hyping the shit out of would be the one places like amazon were advertising as hot new albums for only five bucks. You know, since it's new and the other one isn't. Turns out they were both five bucks. I'm not complaining, I got two decent albums for ten bucks. They're good, but nowhere near as good as all this hype.

There's really not that much hype though. Just people here who've never heard anything that harder than U2. :wink:

I listen to heavier music than Japandroids on a regular basis. A good song is all I look for :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom