Janelle Monae aka The Electric Lady

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ooooohhhh this album is goooooooooodddd :love:

It's a lot more focused than ArchAndroid. Instead of taking on funk, soul, classical, disco, indie rock and psychedelic rock, Janelle seems more interested in funk and quiet storm, with some jazzy interludes. It has two halves, one of which is more upbeat/stranger than the other. It's still fresh and creative, but there are fewer WTF moments, which is neither a good thing or a bad thing, really. She continues to be way ahead of the pack.

I don't know if this tops her EP, as that thing's tight as shit, but it's close. I don't know if she's topped Happy Hunting-->Many Moons yet either, but Give 'Em What They Love-->Q.U.E.E.N.-->Electric Lady puts up an equally good fight.

Oh god I'm never going to stop listening to this album.

K bye guys, see you in another three years.

Album is getting a lot of critical praise btw.

I wasn't sure I should mention it because it's so obvious.

GADDAM I love this thing. I must've listened ten times this week. What a gal.

Finally got around to this joint. It's easily the most eclectic album of the year. I have a hard tome thinking of a genre she doesn't touch on here, and she does all of them really well. Look into My Eyes sounds almost like a Connery-era Bond theme, and Primetime is the smoothest 90s R&B jam maybe I've ever heard. I think it runs out of gas a bit toward the end, but there are some of the best songs of the year on here for sure.

Standouts:

Givin Em What They Want
Electric Lady
Primetime

The ArchAndroid is easily my favorite debut LP in ages, but this blows that out of the water, even the skits work for me as part of the whole aesthetic when they're an automatic skip for me on even the best hip hop albums that feature them. She's an absolute crazy person, but a vital creative force. It's rare to see such a great distillation of so many influences that also manages to be something new, and this takes sounds from several decades and brings them forward by a few centuries ;-). (I do find it hard to believe people will remember twerking hundreds of years from now though haha).

"Givin' Em What They Love", "Dance Apocalyptic", "What an Experience", "Ghetto Woman", hell nearly every track is my favorite.

I love how perfectly the title works as homage and fits right in with her persona.

October 15th, Pearl Jam show, October 16th Janelle Monae, yeah I'm excited.

Who wants to start a petition to have her perform the next Bond theme song?

I'm in!
Really dig that song, though at first listen I thought it was a cover of some James Bond soundtrack song I didn't know :reject:.
This album is great :drool:

Back
Top Bottom