James Blake - Overgrown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really good interview with the man himself. James Blake: 'I thrive on not knowing what's coming next' | Music | The Observer

Dry, a little impudent and just terrifically frank, musician James Blake thinks he knows what will happen when his second album is released tomorrow: the majority of us will download it for free. "And why wouldn't you?" The 24-year-old Londoner accepts digital piracy as a plain fact of his industry, irreversible and so embedded it's hardly worth him hand-wringing. "My label [Universal] is hoping that on 8 April you'll do the right thing and click the 'Buy' button," he says. "You should see what they're doing online just to get people to look at the 'Buy' button. I'm starting not to care, to be honest. Things are changing. The ship" – he means the music business – "isn't just going down. There are people trapped inside, bashing on the windows trying to get out."

Really looking forward to this one.

Cobbler, did you know Blake samples Big Boi's Royal Flush on the iTunes bonus track, Every Day I Ran?

The Wilhelm Scream

No I did not! Cool.

I like this one more than the debut. Not sure just how much yet (I'll probably never like his voice), but I enjoy it for its brevity and bass-heavy beats.

I have a confession, you guys.

I did not listen to James Blake for the longest time because you all kept making these jokes about him being a tennis player, and I thought you were serious. Made me think he was some privileged asshole who decided to make an album one day.

Thankssssss.

But I am...an idiot.

I didn't like the song from cobbler's DI, but I keep thinking oh god, why are they saying good things about that guy, wasn't he the obnoxious "you're beautiful" song guy? Blake, Blunt, close enough.

Like it. Voyeur is easily one of the best tracks of the year, maybe the best song he's ever done. Take a Fall For Me is sensational, RZA fits in seamlessly, even better than I was hoping. Retrograde remains awesome.

Overall I probably like it better than his s/t, even if there's nothing like Wilhelmina Scream, Never Learnt to Share, whichever Lindisfarne is the not boring one, I Mind, Unluck. That album had great highs but boring lows. This one doesn't really.

I apparently neglected to mention that I listened to this and really liked it. I think it's a step up from his debut in terms of consistency, and I dug the proper R&B vibe coursing through it. The guess verse from RZA on "Take a Fall for Me" is probably the smoothest incorporation of rap into the song of a non-rap artist I've yet heard. Overall I'd say this is probably sitting in my #2 spot for the year thus far.

I also prefer this one to the debut.

It's hard for me to say a lot about this album. I just enjoy it a great deal.

Back
Top Bottom