It's time for IWB's near-annual Street Dog's Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IWasBored

Blue Crack Supplier
...because they have a new album coming out in july. and there's an awesome song on the myspace page (plus a few old songs for folks who don't know them). this might also have something to do with a drive i made to worcester, ma the other day. yeah. they're going to break my top 5 all-time favorite band list.

hey mofo and UL! 4th album. can you believe that??

:yes: it may even be better than not without a purpose. :ohmy: or maybe it's just because it's new...because i'm sure i said the exact same thing about n.w.a.p. when the last album came out.

i can't believe they're playing the main stage at the warped tour. well, i can believe it. makes sense. lots of sense. but still, i can't help but think of the little flatbed truck stage a few years ago with 10 kids singing along...

I saw them last month on tour with Anti-Flag, and they were so good! I'd actually never listened to their music at all prior to that. :reject:

Which album is a good place to start?

onebloodonelife said:
I saw them last month on tour with Anti-Flag, and they were so good! I'd actually never listened to their music at all prior to that. :reject:

Which album is a good place to start?

mccolgan has more energy (and about 10 years) on most punk rock singers.

start at the beginning, start with savin hill. then move on to back to the world, and, finally fading american dream. dare i say they're evolving as a band, and the beginning is always the best place to start.

or maybe you should just start with fading american dream and work your way backwards. not a bad song on the album, most of what you heard last month can be found on it.

IWasBored said:
this might also have something to do with a drive i made to worcester, ma the other day.

In Defense of Worchester?

I actually only own Back to the World... :uhoh:

Re: Re: It's time for IWB's near-annual Street Dog's Thread.

u2popmofo said:

In Defense of Worchester?

I actually only own Back to the World... :uhoh:

in defense of anything in closer proximity to my hometown than dorchester. or the rest of boston. goddamn gas prices...

hey, they opened with in defense of dorchester. that must count for something. and actually, they tore into it really, moreso than merely opened. because that's what the street dogs do....but anyway...

really? shame, for shame. i could have sworn you had savin hill.

this marks the very first of the what, half dozen or so, street dogs threads that i've made over the years where i haven't been talking completely to myself. i agree, that is most definitely a reportable offense.

I saw Street and hoped this was about Streetlight Manifesto. Alas, it is not.

phillyfan26 said:
I saw Street and hoped this was about Streetlight Manifesto. Alas, it is not.

Well I just read "Manifesto" and hoped you were speaking of the one I wrote. Alas, you were not.

Last edited:
The new song is quite swell. I'll be two weeks married at that point and spending money on music is going to be harder to justify, but I'll make sure to purchase it anyway.

IWasBored said:

mccolgan has more energy (and about 10 years) on most punk rock singers.

start at the beginning, start with savin hill. then move on to back to the world, and, finally fading american dream. dare i say they're evolving as a band, and the beginning is always the best place to start.

or maybe you should just start with fading american dream and work your way backwards. not a bad song on the album, most of what you heard last month can be found on it.

:up:

I'll just pick up everything it sounds like then. :lol:

UnforgettableLemon said:
The new song is quite swell. I'll be two weeks married at that point and spending money on music is going to be harder to justify, but I'll make sure to purchase it anyway.

hey, congrats!

streetlight manifesto :hmm: my next thread could be about them. reminds me i still need to listen to keasaby nights...everytime i listen to them "point/counterpoint" ends up stuck on repeat.

IWasBored said:
streetlight manifesto :hmm: my next thread could be about them. reminds me i still need to listen to keasaby nights...everytime i listen to them "point/counterpoint" ends up stuck on repeat.

A fan. :hyper: That makes two on this board.

phillyfan26 said:

A fan. :hyper: That makes two on this board.

hell yeah, when i used to do the radio thing at school i played them a bunch of times. good stuff. long-ass songs, though.

so it leaked...um...a while ago now. couple things i'm not 100% sold on, but the bulk of the album is awesome. i'm trying to avoid (and having a hard time) forming any concrete opinions until i've got artwork and cd in hand.

okay, i just wrote a very long and rambling thing about every single song on this album. when i hit post, IF ate it. :mad: suffice to say, i love this album. "mean fist" still doesn't seem to fit with the rest of the songs, but i like it quite a bit. "rebel song" is really growing on me. i still like the mp3 of "free" i made off the WBCN acoustic interview/songs video they have on the myspace better than the album version (something to do with the way the vocals are either delivered or mixed, and then the damn echo on the back of them. i think it sounds a lot better totally stripped down. and "still wrestle with the demons" over "have wresteled with the demons" makes all the difference to me). but the album version of "elizabeth" owns. "two angry kids" may be one of my favorite songs the band has ever done. kevin j, and the general's boombox are awesome as they could ever be. "state of grace" if played right live this summer on the warped tour is going to make this band hugely popular. "into the valley" is so much more badass than the skids' original. overall they're starting to sound more LA-based street punk, trading in some of that typical boston street punk guitar in for...whatever exactly that sound is that they're leaning more to now. i want to put "san patricios" on a mix with far from finished's "1849" and call it a southwestern US history tape...

:up: i can't wait til they're back here on tour (rather than on the warped tour, which i'll be forced to miss anyway). rumor is they'll be playing with flatfoot 56. :drool:

the rumor that they're touring with flatfoot 56 is true :up:

i love reading the hate for this band on a particular smaller boston-based band's message board knowing how nearly every single person trashing the band now was lined up and ready to kiss mike mccolgan's ass 5 years ago. oh punk rock backlash is so funny and predictable.

i hate, loathe, and despise "san patricios." otherwise, this is a kickass album.

Back
Top Bottom