It's been nearly a year since the last Pogues thread. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2009, 04:55 AM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:11 AM
It's been nearly a year since the last Pogues thread.

lets see if this implodes on me the way all my other threads have recently.

the last few years when they've done shows i've avoided them. one year after i heard good things, i still avoided the next because really, how long can you...well, remain breathing, really...in the kind of shape shane's been in for decades now.

this year i've said fuck it. the list of "bands i need to see" dwindled down to pearl jam at one point, and this was well after i decided i really need to see pearl jam save unless i find a time machine and warp back to when they didn't suck. and in all honesty, i went a few years ago to see what passes as the misfits these days. so you know, i really want to see the pogues. or the band that currently is calling themselves the pogues.

well, 60-some bucks (after fees, i'm not sure what it was before ticketmaster raped it and then left it for dead) is kinda on the steep end, but i should be seeing a pay bump around the same time as this boston show toward the end of march.

ticket purchased. march is looking like a plastic paddy kiss me i'm fucking irish-american, obnoxious, green-beer-spilling bullshit mess (flogging molly, dropkick murphys, big bad bollocks all the week before the pogues show). but i'm okay with that.

time to appreciate. i'm going to throw on rum, sodomy, and the lash. i hear 'the wire' used "the body of an american" in some episode. that's awesome.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 02:11 AM
I'll have to send hardyharhar to this thread. Seeing them in Boston in March should be awesome!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
LJT
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:11 AM
A friend of mine who is a big Pogues fan went and saw them last month, she was heavily disappointed, basically she said Shane wasn't there at all and was barely audible. I have heard from some other folks he hasn't been that great of late...
Old 01-08-2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

I listened to Fairytale of New York over and over during the holidays.

I saw The Pogues in NYC a long time ago. They were great then.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #5
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 01:11 AM
I saw them a few years ago, with Shane, and it was a pretty amazing night. Of course Shane was impossible to understand and did more mumbling than actual singing, but the rest of the band more than made up for it. I will never regret the price of the ticket just having the experience of standing front row and hearing/seeing Fairytale of New York live or the complete insanity of Fiesta.

I think for me and the people I was with, it probably more of a sentimental thing too. We were just thrilled to see (most) of the original line up, something we never thought we would see.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Acrobat

I think the last Pogues thread was mine. It was after I went to the Pogues show in Philadelphia in March 2008. I loved it.

Here was my post from March 2008...

I went to the Pogues show at the Electric Factory (Philadelphia) on 3/13/08. It was my first time seeing the Pogues (though I've been a fan since my friend introduced me to it in college). I first heard the Pogues when my friend gave me the "If I Should Fall from Grace with God" CD on the ferry from Harwich, England going to Amsterdam. Loved it.

Anyway, this show was completely out of control! I loved every minute of it. It's one of those events that shakes you out of the everyday humdrum and reminds you that you're still alive. The music was A+ and the crowd was insanely fired up. Even having to dodge the moshing, crowd surfing, and stage diving fools, a great time could not be denied. I highly suggest you get to a Pogues show.

Otherwise, I had a "Shane MacGowan" thread going recently in this forum. The point of that thread was (before I went to this show), that I thought that Shane couldn't have much longer to live (given how he looked in that Tribute to Ronnie Drew video). Anyway, he's never had crowd-pleasing good looks, but he (and the rest of the Pogues) belted out two hours of excellent music. They put a bottle of white wine for Shane at the foot of his microphone before the show starts, but he only nipped at it once during the show. Otherwise, he drank from a coffee/tea mug all night (mystery beverage). At the end of the show, the aformentioned bottle of white wine was hoisted into the air by our man and poured all over his face and into his mouth (but I don't think he actually drank it). Anyway, whatever, the show was great. If he can manage to keep himself together and entertain without the booze, then he'll be with us for years to come. Also, Philip Chevron did a great version singing his tune "Thousands are Sailing".
Old 01-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm fully expecting a let down, so if it's even a so-so concert i'll be fucking thrilled.

low expectations usually work for me. if i had the time machine i didn't get for christmas, there's a show out here in western mass sometime in the mid 80s i'd have warped to for sure.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:11 AM
The boys from the NYPD choir were singing Galway Bay
And the bells were ringing out on Christmas dayyy

That's all I know about the Pogues.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
i'm fully expecting a let down, so if it's even a so-so concert i'll be fucking thrilled.

low expectations usually work for me. if i had the time machine i didn't get for christmas, there's a show out here in western mass sometime in the mid 80s i'd have warped to for sure.
Low expectations is a decent way to approach a concert, I think also. It can only go up from there

I wasn't disappointed at any of the Pogues shows from the last two tours here on the west coast. The band was in top form, as good as I remember from the 80's, with more songs to choose from. They dug nicely into their catalog and Shane was fine. He never was a singer you were going to understand live, so knowing the songs helps alot if you like to sing along or understand what he's saying. Forget about deciphering between song banter.

Have a great time IWB. I seriously doubt you will leave disappointed. Hopefully LJT's friend was at an off night. I didn't know they were touring the east til I saw this post. If I had some extra cash, I'd consider the cross country trek. I wouldn't do that for too many bands.

Fiesta ftw!
Old 01-09-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

can't understand him half the time on the albums, either. i know i go around thinking i know the words to (insert name of song here) and then realize that i'm just singing half gibberish and sounds like the ones i heard rather than real words.

zoot suit riot, you really need to up your knowledge. go buy the album that song is on and start from there. then talk to me after you've discovered the awesomeness of "the broad majestic shannon."