is this the worst protest song in history? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2008, 01:53 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post
If people think Pink tries too hard to be a rebel and comes off as phony...

Then what about Green Day?

Green Day aren't punk- they're pop-punk. And pop-punk seems to be the scurge of most music aficionados.

Yet American Idiot was as anti-Bush that you could get, and it became one of the best-selling albums of 2004-2005.
With Green Day, the songs are good. With Pink, the songs are shite.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:00 PM   #47
War Child

Local Time: 03:42 PM
How long do you guys think Pink's career will last?

Back in 2002, my friend swore that the likes of Pink (and Britney) would disappear after making 2 or 3 albums.

Yet, in 2008, Pink is still popular.

Are you guys surprised that Pink is still making hit music?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #48
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:42 AM
No.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:57 AM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Why is it that all of her songs, perhaps bar the one the thread is about (although I'm still not convinced) seem to be about herself being at a party?
Old 12-06-2010, 03:53 AM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:42 AM
ridiculous bump, buuuuut....

The official P!nk forums - How would you guys respond to U2 fans’ criticism of Pink?

they're watching us!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:08 AM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:42 PM
Wow, where the fuck was I at in December of 2008? How the hell did I not respond to this thread? It's right up my alley.

I just skimmed this thing. Laz's joke on Page 1 is fucking GOLD. Good work, Laz.

There's a lot of hate in the thread. I don't hate Pink by any means, I like a few of her singles, but I don't have a any of her songs on my iTunes or iPod. I think she's an alright young woman, from what I've seen in interviews/what not. The song that was mentioned by Elfa in the middle of the thread, "Just Like A Pill", is probably my favorite tune of hers. "Don't Let Me Get Me" was not bad, either. Solid early 2000s pop song/video with a Britney reference.

I'm rambling. It's late, and I'm bored.

The Dear Mr. President song is awful, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK-79 View Post

Back in 2002, my friend swore that the likes of Pink (and Britney) would disappear after making 2 or 3 albums.

Yet, in 2008, Pink is still popular.
Your friend was way off. In 2010, they're both still popular, and it doesn't show signs of stopping. Especially Brit. The album she's coming out with in March is going to be huge on the charts, and she'll probably embark on another massive, sold out, worldwide arena tour.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 AM   #52
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
Hahahaha, that's brilliant.

I will also :fuckyeah: at seeing a quote of mine from earlier in the thread making it onto that OP.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Old 12-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #54
Blue Crack Supplier

fuckers called me a u2 fan

the post they quoted that mentioned tim armstrong sounded suspiciously like something i would say. scrolled back through and yup, that was me. go me! i angered a bunch of pop princess losers on the internet without even having to visit their site. i am accomplished, yo.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #55
Blue Meth Addict

Ian, how did you find this? Explain yourself.

I feel bad for them that they had to go the "Who cares what U2 fans think!" route, considering most who post in this section of the forum don't care what U2 fans think either. This is a section for general music fans, and that is a general music fan response to the song. It was mediocre at best, and as I've already said, I actually have liked a few of the songs of hers I've heard. She's a pop star, and will obviously be judged on her singles, as she wouldn't have a career if it wasn't for them. Songs about significant issues (whether it be political, religious, historical, whatever) typically result in fairly polarizing responses from people, as those issues are important to them. When conveyed poorly (or even worse, completely uninformed and unintelligent), most are going to have a strong negative response. I still personally think John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change" is the worst political song I've possibly ever heard, as the basic message of it absolutely disgusts me. Musicians unfortunately often don't realize that there are things they're good at, and things they're not good at. Not everyone can write a protest song. Conversely, not everyone can write a pop song. Pink can do one of those, and obviously cannot do the other based on what we've seen.

I'm almost tempted to sign up there and just share something similar, but whatevs. It is what it is. Reminds me of the time when we had the big cross over discussion with Atease members here, that was sorta fun. I think we actually ended up having a few sign up and post here for a few months because they liked us. I doubt that would happen now, as everyone here is a massive cockbag (myself included).
Old 12-07-2010, 01:30 PM   #56
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:42 PM
I'm proud of my small contribution under my old handle. Disappointed in how accurate I was, but proud.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:22 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
I still personally think John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change" is the worst song I've possibly ever heard,

i think that's more like it.

cheesy editing jokes aside, you make a very good point (although i wouldn't go as far as to say that pink can write a good pop song. she might be able to perform a good pop song that people who like pop music may find appealing, however does she write any of her own songs? and as someone who generally doesn't like pop music, i just flat out don't like her, but that's really the only point i don't agree on here).
Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #58
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:42 PM
So who was the Benedict Arnold?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #59
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
i think that's more like it.

cheesy editing jokes aside, you make a very good point (although i wouldn't go as far as to say that pink can write a good pop song. she might be able to perform a good pop song that people who like pop music may find appealing, however does she write any of her own songs? and as someone who generally doesn't like pop music, i just flat out don't like her, but that's really the only point i don't agree on here).
i think what cracks me up the most about her career is how she started out making unoffensive lite r&b pop then decided she didn't want to be another cookie cutter...so she switched to making straight up pop music. ooooookay.

i've never bothered to read too much about how involved with writing she is, but i know she had linda perry of 4 non blondes help write and produce her crossover album and played a big hand in get the party started, easily one of the most annoying songs of the last decade. or did it come out in the 90s? all her songs kinda blend together, they're all about going to a party.

like scumbo (kinda) said, there's nothing wrong with pop music. my favourite band is a pop group, i'm hardly one to judge about "lightweight" music. but when they decide to sing about things other than dancing, partying, love songs, and try to write about something with real meaning like politics or religion it's ridiculous. it usually sounds like the horrible poetry we wrote when we were 12, except we all had the decency to bury the journal in a box in the attic instead of releasing it as a single.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #60
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post

cheesy editing jokes aside
I'd like to edit Mayer's face with a shovel. Or something.

Ian, please explain how you found this.

I also find it strange that whomever was the person to post it over there, they never defended her in this thread. Not really sure why not, as while we're all jerks, I don't think anyone here really cares if someone likes Pink or not.

Tags
dear mr. president, pink