is this the worst protest song in history?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still personally think John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change" is the worst political song I've possibly ever heard, as the basic message of it absolutely disgusts me.QUOTE]

This x 1,000,000. That crapfast makes Pink's effort seem like something by Bob Dylan by comparison.

i think what cracks me up the most about her career is how she started out making unoffensive lite r&b pop then decided she didn't want to be another cookie cutter...so she switched to making straight up pop music. ooooookay.

i've never bothered to read too much about how involved with writing she is, but i know she had linda perry of 4 non blondes help write and produce her crossover album and played a big hand in get the party started, easily one of the most annoying songs of the last decade. or did it come out in the 90s? all her songs kinda blend together, they're all about going to a party.

like scumbo (kinda) said, there's nothing wrong with pop music. my favourite band is a pop group, i'm hardly one to judge about "lightweight" music. but when they decide to sing about things other than dancing, partying, love songs, and try to write about something with real meaning like politics or religion it's ridiculous. it usually sounds like the horrible poetry we wrote when we were 12, except we all had the decency to bury the journal in a box in the attic instead of releasing it as a single.

they have a name for that...but i don't want to open the can of worms that is discussing "selling out."

i don't know if any of the material ever panned out or if it ever actually happened, but tim armstrong from rancid was supposedly writing a bunch of stuff with/for her, which was apparently back when this thread was started (hence the comment i made at the time).

i have nothing against pop music. i've come to terms with the fact that i have nothing against any genre of music, if there is a band or a song or an album that's classified as something i don't ordinarily listen to and i hear it, i'll like it if i think it's good. i couldn't care less what you call it. i really don't care how popular the band is or the album/song becomes. sometimes i am still guilty of musical snobbery and won't check out something because it's thrown into a genre i generally avoid (be it pop music, techno, rap usually). or because it's mainstream popular stuff. but ultimately that is not what dictates whether i'll actually like it. if john mayer did a 180 and actually started putting out decent music, it would take me forever to hear it because i hate him now. but i'd grudgingly admit i liked a song of his if he were to actually put out some music that didn't suck ass (which i don't suspect will happen anytime soon, though, just using him as an example).

I'd like to edit Mayer's face with a shovel. Or something.

Ian, please explain how you found this.

I also find it strange that whomever was the person to post it over there, they never defended her in this thread. Not really sure why not, as while we're all jerks, I don't think anyone here really cares if someone likes Pink or not.

yes, and then i'd like to take an axe and chop off his hands. or something. to answer your text earlier: too many hours. see? i'm talking about axes outside my happy fantasy world. and i'm no lumberjack.

true, hell, a bunch of folks have admited to thinking some of her music doesn't suck. i wonder if it was a flyover non-b&c regular, or what. no idea.

Ian, please explain how you found this.

someone in everything you know is wrong was asking for a link to the thread on interference that was for the usenet discussions showing u2 fans reactions to the fly. i used google to search for it and came across this halfway down the page. i'd have ignored it except at the time it said last post four days ago.

I quite like Pink, although her last album didn't have a lot that I liked. She's not the pop hill I want to die on, though, when it comes to pop singers I'll defend on the internet. I don't care if people don't like her or think she's a sellout.

I'm not even sure she cares, which is part of the reason I dig her. I like pop stars who don't give a fig what you think. Or at least are marketed to look like they don't care. Which is fine with me, too. Really. I'll just be over here singing her songs in my car.

they have a name for that...but i don't want to open the can of worms that is discussing "selling out."

i don't know if any of the material ever panned out or if it ever actually happened, but tim armstrong from rancid was supposedly writing a bunch of stuff with/for her, which was apparently back when this thread was started (hence the comment i made at the time).

i have nothing against pop music. i've come to terms with the fact that i have nothing against any genre of music, if there is a band or a song or an album that's classified as something i don't ordinarily listen to and i hear it, i'll like it if i think it's good. i couldn't care less what you call it. i really don't care how popular the band is or the album/song becomes. sometimes i am still guilty of musical snobbery and won't check out something because it's thrown into a genre i generally avoid (be it pop music, techno, rap usually). or because it's mainstream popular stuff. but ultimately that is not what dictates whether i'll actually like it. if john mayer did a 180 and actually started putting out decent music, it would take me forever to hear it because i hate him now. but i'd grudgingly admit i liked a song of his if he were to actually put out some music that didn't suck ass (which i don't suspect will happen anytime soon, though, just using him as an example).
ha, good point.

and same here, i don't really care about genres. there's so many genres these days anyway, i only worry about genres when i'm putting music into itunes. i totally hear you too about john mayer, i actually used to like his older music but then he decided he didn't want to play pop music anymore and he wanted to be a serious artist (yet his stuff's still pop and no matter how much he acts like he's a serious artist he still plays that fucking "your body is a wonderland" song every damn night in concert). eight minute long guitar solos watching the guitarist look like he's taking a shit aren't my thing, so i don't buy his new stuff anymore.

I quite like Pink, although her last album didn't have a lot that I liked. She's not the pop hill I want to die on, though, when it comes to pop singers I'll defend on the internet. I don't care if people don't like her or think she's a sellout.

I'm not even sure she cares, which is part of the reason I dig her. I like pop stars who don't give a fig what you think. Or at least are marketed to look like they don't care. Which is fine with me, too. Really. I'll just be over here singing her songs in my car.
good point. and i do agree with you about liking pop stars who don't care what people think - probably my top two pet peeves about famous people in general is when they whine about having no privacy (hello, you're famous, the lack of privacy isn't new so you knew this going in. and if you want some privacy, take a page from what other celebrities do that actually do have some privacy - stop doing shit that makes everyone take your picture and write stories about you.) and when they whine about people, be it other celebrities, critics, or just regular people don't like them. you can't please everyone all the time etc. etc. i'll be completely honest and say while i can't stand pink's music, as a person she seems nice, she's got her head on straight and doesn't seem to get too caught up with being a celebrity.

I've only heard I think two songs by Pink. This political one, which is pure shit, and this hit single where she sang a melody that matched the song's guitar riff and she tried to sound punk, which was also pure shit. I've heard literally nothing else (as far as I know).

I'm guessing that was So What, with a "na na na na na na na" that matched the riff. That's on her latest album. I'm not a huge fan of it.

Try This (the one that came after her breakout album- i.e., the one with Get This Party Started. Try This didn't have any huge hits on it, and I think some saw it as a disappointment, but it's got some great songs) and I'm Not Dead (which had a zillion singles off it or some damn thing) are both really solid pop albums.

I remember first hearing that song when I was working at Blockbuster. It was a Friday night and I had closing duties with the store manager. After the last customer left, I began my nightly task of "blocking and balancing" the video walls (read: make them look pretty), when my manager hooked up his iPod to the store's speakers. This was the first time I heard that song. I can't seem to recall anything else that was played (this was years ago), but the awfulness was permanently ingrained in my mind. Can't say I've listened to the "Song Which Must Not Be Named" fully since that night, as I'm likely to change the dial of a radio, the channel of a television, or break the jukebox of a bar.

The song makes me want to destroy something beautiful.

It's her voice that puts me off big time. It's got such a contrived and false sense of attitude or bite about it, and just sounds downright cold and unpleasant.

Just read the P!NK thread in her forum. Pretty funny, especially the piss poor anti-Bono sentiment. I do wonder who it was around here who posted the original thread though?! Very odd.

It's her voice that puts me off big time. It's got such a contrived and false sense of attitude or bite about it, and just sounds downright cold and unpleasant.

Just read the P!NK thread in her forum. Pretty funny, especially the piss poor anti-Bono sentiment. I do wonder who it was around here who posted the original thread though?! Very odd.

I think it's actually pretty obvious, especially knowing said person sent me a PM hence one of my responses (from earlier in the year) ended up on said thread.

I'm guessing that was So What, with a "na na na na na na na" that matched the riff. That's on her latest album. I'm not a huge fan of it.

i had a lot of hatred for that song in my original post in this thread, but i can't remember it at all now.

I only remember it because I heard it relatively recently by accident. It's a really awful song. She could be good at some other pop songs, but I really have no interest in pursuing her any further.

sleep deprivation and morbid curiosity want me to remind myself of the horror. must...not...look.

oh right, that song. yeah, that was fucking painful. wish i could unhear that one.

A brief collection of some of the better quotes from the thread:

theyre bitter idiots. simple.

Stupid Girls is probably the most important song of the past decade in terms of the message.

Pink will take her Dad's advice and just "Throw [her] head back, spit in the wind, and show [those] assh***s what [she's] got"

and to that We All "RaisE OUR GlasS!!!" lol

:))

the Board is blue, it hurt my eyes

Think I would have expected U2 fans to be more inteligent than this

People always oppose the great.

A brief collection of some of the better quotes from the thread:

those are...i don't even know.

:lol:

haha, they can't even say "asshole" on their board? you can say that on basic broadcast cable tv now. fucking fuck shit pigfucker.

Stupid Girls is probably the most important song of the past decade in terms of the message.

:lol: :lol:

Awesome.

You know, I have to admit, I can get behind the message of So What: use your noggin and don't be a bimbo, ladies.

That's a Very Important Message. Maybe those Pink fans are onto something.

there's a message behind na na na na na na? i didn't know how to translate.

No, no. Silly people. Na na na na na na song is called So What, in which she sings about how So What, I'm a Rock Star and someone is sitting at HER table.

Stupid Girls is the one about ditzes dancing in videos next to 50 Cent instead of wanting to be president.

Jeez, get it right.

:tsk:

And Dear Mr. President is the sound of idiot liberals inspiring independents to vote Republican and ruining our country again.

Nah. I'm pretty sure the only ones who heard the song and then took its message to heart were under the voting age.

The Indigo Girls are to blame for nothing. Nothing, do you hear me???

Back
Top Bottom