is this the worst protest song in history?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I'm the only Pink fan here, huh? Alas.

It's not her best song, but it's okay. Her new album isn't as good as the last two, but Try This and I'm Not Dead are filled with cracking pop tunes.

So I'm the only Pink fan here, huh? Alas.

It's not her best song, but it's okay. Her new album isn't as good as the last two, but Try This and I'm Not Dead are filled with cracking pop tunes.

I've been known to like a few of her songs.

I'd just like to add that the likes of Britney Spears, Hilary Duff, Lindsay Lohan, Ashlee Simpson, and Miley Cyrus are manufactured products of corporations that use their "talents" to make tons of money.

And by talents, I think you mean sex appeal... If these girls were 30 pounds overweight and wearing glasses, no one would pay any attention to them.

If people think Pink tries too hard to be a rebel and comes off as phony...

Then what about Green Day?

Green Day aren't punk- they're pop-punk. And pop-punk seems to be the scurge of most music aficionados.

Yet American Idiot was as anti-Bush that you could get, and it became one of the best-selling albums of 2004-2005.

If people think Pink tries too hard to be a rebel and comes off as phony...

Then what about Green Day?

Green Day aren't punk- they're pop-punk. And pop-punk seems to be the scurge of most music aficionados.

Yet American Idiot was as anti-Bush that you could get, and it became one of the best-selling albums of 2004-2005.

With Green Day, the songs are good. With Pink, the songs are shite.

How long do you guys think Pink's career will last?

Back in 2002, my friend swore that the likes of Pink (and Britney) would disappear after making 2 or 3 albums.

Yet, in 2008, Pink is still popular.

Are you guys surprised that Pink is still making hit music?:huh:

Why is it that all of her songs, perhaps bar the one the thread is about (although I'm still not convinced) seem to be about herself being at a party?

Wow, where the fuck was I at in December of 2008? How the hell did I not respond to this thread? It's right up my alley.

I just skimmed this thing. Laz's joke on Page 1 is fucking GOLD. Good work, Laz.

There's a lot of hate in the thread. I don't hate Pink by any means, I like a few of her singles, but I don't have a any of her songs on my iTunes or iPod. I think she's an alright young woman, from what I've seen in interviews/what not. The song that was mentioned by Elfa in the middle of the thread, "Just Like A Pill", is probably my favorite tune of hers. "Don't Let Me Get Me" was not bad, either. Solid early 2000s pop song/video with a Britney reference.

I'm rambling. It's late, and I'm bored.

The Dear Mr. President song is awful, yeah.

Back in 2002, my friend swore that the likes of Pink (and Britney) would disappear after making 2 or 3 albums.

Yet, in 2008, Pink is still popular.

Your friend was way off. In 2010, they're both still popular, and it doesn't show signs of stopping. Especially Brit. The album she's coming out with in March is going to be huge on the charts, and she'll probably embark on another massive, sold out, worldwide arena tour.

:lol:

fuckers called me a u2 fan :mad:

:lmao: the post they quoted that mentioned tim armstrong sounded suspiciously like something i would say. scrolled back through and yup, that was me. go me! i angered a bunch of pop princess losers on the internet without even having to visit their site. i am accomplished, yo.

Ian, how did you find this? Explain yourself.

I feel bad for them that they had to go the "Who cares what U2 fans think!" route, considering most who post in this section of the forum don't care what U2 fans think either. This is a section for general music fans, and that is a general music fan response to the song. It was mediocre at best, and as I've already said, I actually have liked a few of the songs of hers I've heard. She's a pop star, and will obviously be judged on her singles, as she wouldn't have a career if it wasn't for them. Songs about significant issues (whether it be political, religious, historical, whatever) typically result in fairly polarizing responses from people, as those issues are important to them. When conveyed poorly (or even worse, completely uninformed and unintelligent), most are going to have a strong negative response. I still personally think John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change" is the worst political song I've possibly ever heard, as the basic message of it absolutely disgusts me. Musicians unfortunately often don't realize that there are things they're good at, and things they're not good at. Not everyone can write a protest song. Conversely, not everyone can write a pop song. Pink can do one of those, and obviously cannot do the other based on what we've seen.

I'm almost tempted to sign up there and just share something similar, but whatevs. It is what it is. Reminds me of the time when we had the big cross over discussion with Atease members here, that was sorta fun. I think we actually ended up having a few sign up and post here for a few months because they liked us. I doubt that would happen now, as everyone here is a massive cockbag (myself included).

I still personally think John Mayer's "Waiting on the World to Change" is the worst song I've possibly ever heard,

i think that's more like it.

cheesy editing jokes aside, you make a very good point (although i wouldn't go as far as to say that pink can write a good pop song. she might be able to perform a good pop song that people who like pop music may find appealing, however does she write any of her own songs? and as someone who generally doesn't like pop music, i just flat out don't like her, but that's really the only point i don't agree on here).

i think that's more like it.

cheesy editing jokes aside, you make a very good point (although i wouldn't go as far as to say that pink can write a good pop song. she might be able to perform a good pop song that people who like pop music may find appealing, however does she write any of her own songs? and as someone who generally doesn't like pop music, i just flat out don't like her, but that's really the only point i don't agree on here).
i think what cracks me up the most about her career is how she started out making unoffensive lite r&b pop then decided she didn't want to be another cookie cutter...so she switched to making straight up pop music. ooooookay.

i've never bothered to read too much about how involved with writing she is, but i know she had linda perry of 4 non blondes help write and produce her crossover album and played a big hand in get the party started, easily one of the most annoying songs of the last decade. or did it come out in the 90s? all her songs kinda blend together, they're all about going to a party.

like scumbo (kinda) said, there's nothing wrong with pop music. my favourite band is a pop group, i'm hardly one to judge about "lightweight" music. but when they decide to sing about things other than dancing, partying, love songs, and try to write about something with real meaning like politics or religion it's ridiculous. it usually sounds like the horrible poetry we wrote when we were 12, except we all had the decency to bury the journal in a box in the attic instead of releasing it as a single.

cheesy editing jokes aside

I'd like to edit Mayer's face with a shovel. Or something.

Ian, please explain how you found this.

I also find it strange that whomever was the person to post it over there, they never defended her in this thread. Not really sure why not, as while we're all jerks, I don't think anyone here really cares if someone likes Pink or not.

Back
Top Bottom