Is Radiohead any good? Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

razredge

Acrobat
They are always mentioned highly among the industry and music listeners (certainly receive a warmer reception than U2 do).

The only Radiohead song I've ever heard was Creep. And I didn't like that much reminded me of Nirvana and sounded quite Emo.

Are they somewhat like Muse in sound (especially lyrics/singing?), apparently Coldplay have heavy Radiohead influences, but I'm not sure.

CP are very much pop, while Radiohead seem to make very experimental, non-traditional music, that is hardly seems easy to listen to.

I was going to download In Rainbows to see what all the fuss is about. Is that a good place to start, or should I start with somethin else (OK Computer?).

Keep in mind that I like U2's experimentation, AB is my favourite album and I like Zooropa and Pop (though not every song), but I'm not a big fan of OST1 (other than Miss Sarajevo and Your Blue Room).

I also dislike experimenting just for the sake of it, ie. if the only benefits gained are that it sounds unique. I'm not a big fan of post-modern art.

Yes. They are good. Very fucking good, actually. Go to the nearest place that sells CDs and buy all of their albums immediately.

=GirlsAloudFan;5933300 Go to the nearest place that sells CDs and buy all of their albums immediately.

That would mean they are better than U2, if I did that :D

Creep is unrepresentative of their sound, as is most of their first album.

Purchase OK Computer to start. Listen to it multiple times to get the effect. You'll fall in love with it after a while.

Creep is unrepresentative of their sound, as is most of their first album.

Purchase OK Computer to start. Listen to it multiple times to get the effect. You'll fall in love with it after a while.

That's their masterpiece right? How does it compare to AB? lyrically? musically?

Were there any hit singles ala One, Mysterious Ways etc?

I'm afraid that you are bound for disappointment if you are looking for something similar to U2 through Radiohead. They are very different bands, in my opinion at least. One of the major differences is that most all Radiohead albums need to be appreciated as full albums rather than through individual songs; whereas I would not consider that trend "post-modern," the closest U2 ever came to that approach was OST, which you note that you do not really like.

That being said, I would recommend OK Computer and In Rainbows as starting points.

I hated Radiohead for a year before they became one of my favorite bands. What changed me was OK Computer and In Rainbows, so I would start with these. :up:

Which is most like anything U2 has done?

I think The Bends is their most U2-sounding album, so that's a good place to start (it's also a very good album, so that helps :) ). Yes, Radiohead are quite good, but they're not the second coming part of this forum wants us to believe.

Radiohead's masterpiece is probably OK Computer. It features the singles Paranoid Android, Karma Police and No Surprises (which you might've heard back in the day (1997)).

The Bends is probably the safest choice for beginners, but OK Computer is undoubtedly a masterpiece, and their best.

In my opinion, get OK Computer first. Get The Bends second. Get In Rainbows third (I would have said Kid A, but you said you don't like Passengersesque experimentation). Then assess if you want to proceed further. If you do, buy Kid A and Amnesiac the same day and listen back to back.

In Rainbows is my favorite, but The Bends and OK Computer are the first two you should get.

I started with Amnesiac, so I don't think I'm really an authority on this.

All of their albums are essential, but these are, most definitely:

The Bends
OK Computer
Kid A
In Rainbows

Start with those four, and later pick up Pablo Honey, Amnesiac, and Hail To The Thief if you like what you hear.

Also, EMI is re-releasing Pablo Honey, The Bends, and OK Computer as Deluxe Editions (with an extra CD of all the b-sides and a DVD of live footage and music videos) late-March, so you might want to wait until then to pick those particular albums up.

Also, out of the four I mentioned, don't start with Kid A. It's not the best 'first album' to hear. Either get The Bends or OK Computer.

I downloaded Ok Computer off Itunes, will have a listen to the album tonight.

Does it help if I have the lyrics on hand? or are they not a lyric focused band like U2 is and so lyrics aren't as crucial to appreciating a Radiohead song.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to read along with lyrics during the first few listens for anything.

Does it help if I have the lyrics on hand? or are they not a lyric focused band like U2 is and so lyrics aren't as crucial to appreciating a Radiohead song.

I wouldn't worry about it now. I still have no idea what Thom is saying half the time.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to read along with lyrics during the first few listens for anything.

The first time I listened to OKC I had it on in the background and within minutes I grabbed the lyrics. They're that good. But don't worry, you can Google them and find them easy enough. In fact, let me help you out:

radiohead lyrics and song information

Yes. A lot.
Especially OK Computer.

Pretty good band, sometimes amazing, sometimes a little off the mark.

Ok Computer is unquestionably a classic album. Kid A and Amnesiac feature some incredible songs, and some just as incredible b-sides. HTTT is marvellous, as is In Rainbows.

This thread scares me... but at least someone out there is willing to look at them on their own, for me I like a lot of what they've done, mostly OK Computer and The Bends which were quite original rock works, and featured oh I don't know, actual singing. Since then, they've released some interesting if less than complete albums and somehow gained this mystique of being the greatest thing ever, a lot of their music to me isn't all that innovative and not always listenable, part of me loves some of their work and part of me is constantly annoyed by the worship of them. The best is how the indie kids bow down to them as like monarchs or something, hate to break it to you but RH was an EMI product for a long time and released In Rainbows "independently" after having used the industry money to be able to do that.

I will say this though, "Let Down" is one of my favorite songs of all time :)drool: every time), and those to albums are just :drool: . Kid A has some great tracks, but to me Zooropa tried the same kind of change and got a lot less credit at the time (and still does) the following two are pretty boring, and In Rainbows wavers between interesting rhythm/instrumentation and more sleep inducers.

I know its blasphemy around Interference and many music fans under 25 or 30 or so, but I dare to have my own opinion, just as I welcome you to enjoy them, just don't shove them in my face as the premiere music innovators.

I'm a lyrics-focused person, but have never really cared about a lot of what Yorke is singing, even on OK Computer, I don't know if he's just not as meaningful a lyricist to me, or if the point of lyrics is lost when you can't understand them (even having read them), I'm talking simply hearing wise, not even meaning there. That said I did quite enjoy some of his lyrics on The Eraser, and actually found that album much more interesting than the 2000's era Radiohead. They used to really rock, and sing, not so much nowadays, mixing effects and whining can't compete for me with their 90's masterpieces.

That said I did quite enjoy some of his lyrics on The Eraser, and actually found that album much more interesting than the 2000's era Radiohead.

I concur.

Yorke's a fantastic lyricist sometimes, but sometimes he doesn't seem all that genuine, like he's just depressed for the sake of sounding depressed. He should stick to more political or social commentary which he is brilliant at, cause he doesn't strike me as being genuinely emotional, in a "sing your heart out style" like a Bono or a Morrissey.

Some might say Morrissey is a bit tiresome in trotting out how miserable he is all the time, but Morrissey is a hundred times more interesting and has a sense of humour as well.

I started with In Rainbows and moved to OK Computer. They're the only two I know inside out and they're brilliant. I've downloaded HTTT and Kid A, but haven't really given either a listen.

Back
Top Bottom