Is Radiohead any good? Recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well I listened to it on my stereo and actually feel asleep somewhere after Electioneering.

The overwhelming first impression I had is that Thom Yorke sings like a demented choirboy on crack.
He sounds like Matt Bellamy, only with less energy and more soporific.
It doesn't help that his singing is the same basically throughout the entire album and is virtually undechiperable.

I somewhat liked Karma Police and Let Down. Paranoid Android is like one of those long songs done by hard rock/metal bands. That starts off incredibly slow and then goes crazy, then drops back down again, then goes crazy again.

I thought Fitter Happier was interesting, if a bit too long. It's like Stephen Hawking singing (ironically the voice synthesizer is easier to understand than Yorke's wailing).
Reminds me a bit of Drunk Chicken/ America which I also liked as an experiment (not so much as a song though).

I'll have a proper listen with headphones later.

Be careful. You can only resist so long, then you're hooked and you can't get enough.

:lol: It's so true. I tried getting into OK Computer several times, and it finally hit me last fall sometime...now Radiohead's one of my favorite bands.

That said, I'd also echo The Bends as the next album you should give a listen to.

Airbag, Paranoid Android, Exit Music, Let Down, Karma Police, Climbing Up the Walls, and Lucky are all fantastic, and the rest is good, too.

Still, In Rainbows is my personal favorite.

Be careful. You can only resist so long, then you're hooked and you can't get enough.

Yeah, I feel that. To an extent.

I had The Bends and really liked it for ages. Picked up OK Computer and could not get into it. Kid A came out to rave reviews, so I heard it ... and hated it.

Some years later, still didn't get OK Computer. Checked out Kid A from the library and .... liked it! I was surprised.

Then In Rainbows came out, and I love it a big damn lot.

Still don't get OK Computer, though.

Radiohead ... ALL Radiohead ... makes more and more sense with repeated listens.

Be careful though, listening to too much Radiohead leaves you susceptible to committing acts of KNIFE CRIME.

I'd like Radiohead a lot more if I could get over my dislike of Thom Yorke's post-Bends singing style. And it's not just singing either; I've no idea what he's like in real life, but I find his overall vocal presence quite unlikeable most of the time and again, I find it's something that had changed a lot after The Bends.

Still, Kid A is a great album and In Rainbows is very good as well. I could never really get into OK Computer though; it has some stunning songs but overall to me it sounds like a middle point between The Bends and Kid A without the strong points of either album.

^^^ I sort of agree... sort of. I don't mind Thom's vocals all that much now, but I absolutely adore them from their Pablo Honey/The Bends period. Damn that guy could sing.

The only song I can think of where I struggle with Thom's voice is We Suck Young Blood.

Thom really does have a unique voice but just sounds depressing, having said that Creep makes me depressed, in some tracks it sounds like he's singing some random jiberish. I am also trying to explore Radioheads music a bit more, since they are worshipped a lot, maybe even more than U2. But I really like Fake Plastic Trees. :up:

I love Thom Yorke's voice and I don't care who knows it.

Thom on In Rainbows grew exponentially as a vocalist. I liked him before, but his vocals on IR are at times spell-binding - nuanced and subtle, harmonizing impeccably with the atmospherics of the album. "Nude" in particular is a triumph.

So no one thinks Thom sounds like a tone deaf stoner who is fond of caterwauling?

And I thought Matt Bellamy was annoying.

I think his voice is going to be a serious hurdle, I mean the primary reason I'm a U2 fan is because Bono is such a great singer.

So no one thinks Thom sounds like a tone deaf stoner who is fond of caterwauling?

And I thought Matt Bellamy was annoying.

I think his voice is going to be a serious hurdle, I mean the primary reason I'm a U2 fan is because Bono is such a great singer.

Well Radiohead are really lacking in fans, so please give them a chance. They need you.

I'm not surprised, considering every post was riddled with "How does it compare to U2?" which is a piss poor way of trying to judge a particularly band. Or recommend one, as it turns out.

I'm not surprised, considering every post was riddled with "How does it compare to U2?" which is a piss poor way of trying to judge a particularly band. Or recommend one, as it turns out.

yeah, i found that to be quite odd too.

i don't know why the original poster doesn't just find himself a coldplay record and be done with it.

This is primarily a U2 fan site. So many people here seem to hold U2 at the highest level and compare every other band to that level. :cute:

It never ceases to amaze me how un-U2 (almost anti-U2) B&C is.

This is primarily a U2 fan site. So many people here seem to hold U2 at the highest level and compare every other band to that level. :cute:

i don't think that's as relevant as you're making it out to be. i mean, yes it's fair to point out... but at the same time, only u2 are u2, and noone else. the author should probably have figured as much out by now.

Back
Top Bottom