Is "In Rainbows" underrated??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly prefer Gnarls Barkley's version. The missing final instrumental break notwithstanding of course. Cee Lo's vocals are stronger than Thom's.

1. Nude
2. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
3. All I Need

4. Reckoner
5. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
6. Bodysnatchers
7. 15 Step
8. Videotape

9. Faust Arp
10. House Of Cards

1. All I Need
2. Weird Fishes/Arpeggi

3. Bodysnatchers
4. House of Cards
5. Nude

6. Faust Arp
7. Jigsaw Falling Into Place

8. Reckoner
9. 15 Step
10. Videotape

There are no bad tracks here though, not even close.

Nude is probably my favorite Radiohead track. Thom's vocals on it are sublime. I'd go so far as to say that it's the finest vocal performance in a rock song that I have ever heard.

I notice that these comments about Radiohead and their albums being overrated pop up quite a bit here. It makes me wonder why no one ever asks the same question about Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I understand that this is a U2 forum, but if any albums are unnecessarily apotheosized on these boards, they are AB and Zooropa rather than OK Computer/Kid A/In Rainbows.

Over rated, yes, probably.. It is Radiohead after all, "second coming of Christ" and all.. I reckon there are some far superior albums released during that decade, namely Elbow's The Seldom Seen Kid for one.

Reckoner,
Weird Fishies
House of Cards
Bodysnatchers

Are all truly super songs, the first three being as good as any previous Radiohead song.

But it's all opinion..

The only Radiohead album I find to be overrated is The Bends but I'm a big fan so that's not saying much.

Nude is probably my favorite Radiohead track. Thom's vocals on it are sublime. I'd go so far as to say that it's the finest vocal performance in a rock song that I have ever heard.

I notice that these comments about Radiohead and their albums being overrated pop up quite a bit here. It makes me wonder why no one ever asks the same question about Achtung Baby and Zooropa. I understand that this is a U2 forum, but if any albums are unnecessarily apotheosized on these boards, they are AB and Zooropa rather than OK Computer/Kid A/In Rainbows.

I'm glad you asked because Zooropa sucks balls... and it’s a pretty stupid question to ask on a U2 forum, are you really surprised?. Go to a Radiohead forum and I'm sure Achtung Baby and Zooropa will get slagged on enough. I'm also suprised you see those comments on here because I feel like I'm the only one that feels like Radiohead has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes! I'm very outspoken about it but everyone around here knows this anyway:)

Achtung Baby IS the greatest album ever made and piss on anyone who says other wise: musically, artistically, sonically, and all out balls from a band that made Joshua Tree beforehand.

I think I love In Rainbows so much because it reminds me of other great musical "feelings" I've already subconsciously experienced listening to other bands.

Quiet moments like Faust Arp remind me of so many parts of The White Album that I love. That early morning, teacup in hand setting where it's just you, the album, and it feels like the band is playing in your living room.

I think In Rainbows represents a very special, unique nook in Radiohead's catalogue.

It's Radiohead giving you intimacy without the pervasive desolation they usually conjure up.

I'm glad you asked because Zooropa sucks balls... and it’s a pretty stupid question to ask on a U2 forum, are you really surprised?. Go to a Radiohead forum and I'm sure Achtung Baby and Zooropa will get slagged on enough. I'm also suprised you see those comments on here because I feel like I'm the only one that feels like Radiohead has pulled the wool over everyone's eyes! I'm very outspoken about it but everyone around here knows this anyway:)

How does it feel to let something you hate control you in such a way?

Ok, I want you to think about this statement for a while and get back to me when you've realized why its so stupid.

Thanks

This coming from someone who suspects that they're the only one who can see into Radiohead's nefarious scheme of "pulling the wool over everyone's eyes(!)" by releasing bad music and somehow convincing everyone -everyone but you of course, because you're above all that - that it's good.
Great theory, chief :up:

If you dont like a band, cool. But to let it consume you to such a degree that you have to come up with half assed speculation and feel the need to comment on it so that "everyone here knows this" is sad and petty. Nobody cares that you don't like Radiohead except you.

He's a big Editors fan though, so I'll welcome him with open arms... Open Your Arms and welcome, the people to your town.

This is all completely true. The problem is your first line and, by extension, the purpose of this thread. IMO, there is no such thing as an underrated Radiohead album, and I say that while adoring most of them. It's convenient that I do love the band as much as I do, or I would probably consider their fans as insufferable as everyone else does.

"One person the other day" must be an old user; nobody is allowed to have a name that long anymore. Narrows it down a little. :hmm:

a friend.

my two cents. Great album, among my top 10 of the decade. It's either their 2nd, 3rd or 4th best lp depending on how I'm feeling that day. Reckoner is one of their finest songs. OK Computer still number 1 in my book.

my two cents. Great album, among my top 10 of the decade. It's either their 2nd, 3rd or 4th best lp depending on how I'm feeling that day. Reckoner is one of their finest songs. OK Computer still number 1 in my book.

Damn. Strong post.

This sums up basically my exact thoughts about the album. I agree with all of it.

:up:

When barlowdog actually posts, he posts quality.

I have avoided this thread, as I too am a bit confused by anyone calling any Radiohead album other than Pablo Honey "underrated". Maybe in the spectrum of pop or radio music, In Rainbows was underrated. In the general realm of music though, it received massive amounts of press, universal critical acclaim, and essentially everyone who likes music "bought" it because of the initial "pay what you want" model.

In Rainbows is my second favorite Radiohead album, just after OK Computer. I think it's one of the best albums released this decade and it was an instant favorite of mine when I caught Radiohead on VH1 doing the In Rainbows from the basement in late May/ early June (can't remember exactly which month) 2008. That broadcast made me buy In Rainbows. It's the first Radiohead album I bought and listened to and I'm really glad I went for it and now I'm a pretty big fan. I'd say it isn't all that underrated, nor overrated. I think the reception was pretty good and I just plain love this album for so many reasons I can't even list them all. Good memories with this album. One memory includes mowing the lawn and listening to In Rainbows.:lol:

Favorite to least favorite:

1. House of Cards
  2. Reckoner
  3. All I Need
  4. Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
  5. Jigsaw Falling Into Place
  6. Bodysnatchers
  7. Videotape
  8. Faust Arp
  9. 15 Step
  10. Nude

I have HOC as my favorite whereas everyone else seems to place it at the middle/bottom. And Nude can be a total snooze fest but I find it to be absolutely beautiful if you have the right setting and are in the right mood. Not a bad song on this album. Very well done Radiohead.

I N / R A I N B O W S
I N R A I N / B O W S
I N R A I N B O W / S
I N R A I N B O W S /
I N R A I N _ B O W S
R A D I O H E A _ D
_ R A D I O H E A D

the "pay what you want" model is overrated. every review i've ever read of this album spends the first three paragraphs explaining the societal, cultural and moral implications of the decision to use this model. i couldn't think of anything more boring to talk about.

But it was a huge deal at the time.

I mean, this is one of the biggest, most respected rock bands in the world. Hell, probably ever. And this thing was so hugely anticipated. And out of nowhere they say "Hi everybody, it'll be here in 10 days. You can pay whatever you want for it. No questions asked."

That shit was fucking crazy. It deserved to be talked about, and mentioned in the reviews. In my opinion.

Can't argue with that, but it just doesn't interest me in the slightest, beyond "oh that's cool". It's like the actual music was secondary to the way it was initially released. And when In Rainbows is talked about on blogs and the like in years to come, I'll be scrolling straight past that stuff and onto the music.

It was an unprecedented concept, but rather than it being a groundbreaking distribution model, it strikes me more as just a brilliant and very effective means of creating hype, interest and awareness of the release, particularly with just 10 days of warning.

Has anyone else adopted the "Pay What You Want" model since? It was great marketing, but the unique distribution of the music has been nowhere near as revolutionary as a lot of critics at the time anticipated that it would be. "Teasers" had already been released prior to In Rainbows by other artists, yet not in full album form. Radiohead might be considered to have merely popularised "teasing"...

Bloc Party's "Intimacy" similarly had a short notice model thing happening.. But one still had to pay for the download of that album.

The more expensive physical edition that you could order, which came with vinyl and the second disc (which aside from the gorgeous Last Flowers, I unfortunately find to be boring and a let down), was not at all groundbreaking, as the releasing of deluxe editions of albums to combat illegal downloading had been around for years.

Great album, but yes overrated, only due to how so many use it as the THE example of "experimental music" of the past 5 years.

Kid A was innovative, the two following albums were the sound of evolving that sound and In Rainbows was the sound of them finally bringing some real intimacy to that sound.

Back
Top Bottom