Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Sign Up And Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are 5 songs on Meddle that aren't Echoes. There are 3 songs on WYWH that aren't Shine On You Crazy Diamond. While it doesn't make all that large of a difference time-wise, SOYCD absolutely kills the momentum of the album due to its placement, and the album lacks variety because of it.

And two of those songs on Meddle are absolute clunkers. Take those two away, and you've really got the same scenario. The only difference is you get Echoes all in one shot.

Not sure what you mean about how SOYCD kills the momentum. It's the perfect opener, one of the best ever, and then to come back to it after the three songs in the middle is pure magic. If the second part was placed in the middle of the three other songs, then I'd be inclined to agree, but it's not.

A better question for you to ask me would be why I prefer Animals over WYWH, though they're structured similarly. Simply put, I just prefer the songs. Animals slays for its entire duration, while there are a couple of duds on WYWH that I could do without. Pretty simple, but I think those two albums are more comparable.

I disagree. The only thing that is the same is the number of tracks, and that's a stretch considering two of them are merely intros and outros. When it comes down to it, there are only three songs on Animals. On WYWH, there are three songs plus one two-part epic.

SOYCD...is the perfect opener, one of the best ever, and then to come back to it after the three songs in the middle is pure magic.

I would agree with this. I have said in the past that any album containing Shine On should be required to place it first in the tracklisting.

The great benefit of Animals over Meddle, in my opinion at least, is the lyrical content. Animals is a masterwork of lyrical cohesion and sustained mood.

Not sure what you mean about how SOYCD kills the momentum. It's the perfect opener, one of the best ever, and then to come back to it after the three songs in the middle is pure magic. If the second part was placed in the middle of the three other songs, then I'd be inclined to agree, but it's not.

It just feels like it dominates more of the record in that position is all. It doesn't, but it feels like it. As you can tell, I'd rather have a 34 minute track and get it over with than two 17-minute tracks with the same chord progression scattered throughout. I guess that's just me.

^I did that last week. I just remembered that we were talking about everybody posting their lists here, so everybody could see/discuss them. I wasn't sure if we were still doing that.

I have a top 50, but have yet to listen to What's Going On or Innervisions, which I feel obligated to listen to first since it seems they're good enough to make my top fifty.

Sent mine in to ElMel. Both of those albums made me list, kicking off A Storm in Heaven and The Velvet Underground & Nico.

What's Going On made mine as well, but I hadn't heard Innervisions in a long time, so it wasn't included.

Nico definitely made mine, but White Light / White Heat cracked the Top 25.

What's Going On made mine as well, but I hadn't heard Innervisions in a long time, so it wasn't included.

Nico definitely made mine, but White Light / White Heat cracked the Top 25.

I haven't listened to Nico enough, methinks, but I've found some of it difficult to get into.

Back
Top Bottom