Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Sign Up And Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still say Dark Side is the absolute best place to start. :love::drool:

Btw, are you guys repeating artists in your Top 10 or even 20? Just curious.

My top 10 has 7 different artists
My top 20 has 14 different artists

Why not? These are my favourite albums and some artists are absolutely amazing to me

And Animals > Dark Side; but both made my top 20

2 Floyd and Beatles albums made my 10, along with 1 Stones, Radiohead, U2, Dylan, Zeppelin, and Springsteen album each.

I have to disagree about Meddle being more accessible than Dark Side. There's nothing on Meddle as accessible as Money, Time, Us And Them, Brain Damage, or Eclipse. I mean, the centerpiece of Meddle is a 23-minute long epic. Pink Floyd has recorded a lot of lengthy epics like that, but none of them are on Dark Side. There's a reason why Dark Side was their biggest commercial hit.

Well Money and Time, to me, are not very interesting songs. Brain Damage / Eclipse is very cool, but it doesn't get me going. Us and Them is probably my favorite Floyd song, though I don't know that it's a great place to start.

As for Wish You Were Here, I agree with everything ElMel said above. Though I apparently like Have a Cigar more than he does.

Re: Meddle - I don't know what's inaccesible about Pillow of Winds, Fearless and One of those Days - they're all brilliant and easy to get into. They don't drone on for minutes and minutes. And granted, Echoes is long, but it's interesting at the least. And the payoffs are worth it - I love that round and round guitar solo that happens right before the (I think it's the) 3rd verse. That moves me everytime.

I don't have any Pink Floyd albums in my top 500
they do absolutely nothing for me

same with the Beatles really

R.E.M. and U2 twice in top 50
Frank Zappa and Will Oldham 3 times

to my own surprise I have Sting in my top 50

I don't have any Pink Floyd albums in my top 500
they do absolutely nothing for me ...

... to my own surprise I have Sting in my top 50

Me too, on both counts.

I've always been a Sting fan - I don't care how pretentious he comes across, I usually like his music quite a bit. I think The Soul Cages is his best album, and it's somewhere in my top 50.

Soul Cages for me too
after listening to it again I actually pondered whether it deserved a higher rating

I have two Floyd albums in my top 5. :ohmy:

3 of my top 4 are Beatles records.

Wow! :wink:

As for Sting, I was bouncing around on whether to include Dream of the Blue Turtles but... I dunno, probably not. The Police's Synchronicity will show up though, despite the god awful Mother. :drool:

Oh and.... :shifty:

I am listening to ATYCLB right now and... I find myself enjoying it so much that... I'm almost considering including it in place of Pop as the 3rd U2 album. Shh! Don't tell the EYKIW folk. :shifty:

regarding all the pf discussion, i've only had a chance to listen to dsotm and the wall so far...dsotm wasn't that good to me. it had a couple songs on it i liked, but the rest weren't great. :uhoh:

oh, and since sting's been brought up, i forgot to include him. i would've included nothing like the sun for sure, maybe the soul cages too. i did remember the police though. zenyatta mondatta's been my favourite police album for years.

aaaaand as far as repeat artists, my top 10 doesn't have any repeats, and glancing at my list, i don't think the top 20 does either. i tried to be diverse but still represent people i liked. you know, like i didn't go out of my way to prevent having albums by the same artists ranked highly. as far as my list being representative of my tastes, it was when i sent it in. i'd probably submit something different today, and i know i would in six months. but like i told lemel when i sent it in, i wanted to hurry up and do it so i wouldn't sit and pick at it. if i think about ranking stuff too much i drive myself crazy.

I personally love Meddle, but I can't rank it quite as high as something like WYWH because of San Tropez and Seamus. Seriously, it bewilders me that people think those two songs are stronger than, say, Welcome To The Machine and Have A Cigar. It doesn't add up as far as I'm concerned.

You take out San Tropez and Seamus and Meddle is fucking close to perfect. They wreck the flow. Try listening to One of These Days > Pillow of Winds > Fearless > Echoes. It's much better.

Thanks for the Pink Floyd info., everyone. I'll probably pick something up from them soon.:up:

Dark Side :shifty:

I have two Floyd albums in my top 5. :ohmy:

Two in top 3 :D Three in top six

I am listening to ATYCLB right now and... I find myself enjoying it so much that... I'm almost considering including it in place of Pop as the 3rd U2 album. Shh! Don't tell the EYKIW folk. :shifty:

I'll keep it quiet. Don't think Rob or the others could handle it

Right now I'm finishing my list up and...... :crazy: I think I may have to scrap my original plan of including 3 albums by U2, REM, Led Zep and Floyd... I think it's gonna be only 2 from all those bands... and 3 from the Beatles... so yeah, no Pop or ATYCLB! :lol: Oh btw, this is fucking difficult! Maybe the most difficult list I ever attempted in my life! :crazy:

PS: I'm trying to be more diverse too like Khan, than include the same artists over and over again.

I looked at the list more as 50 of my favorite albums, and that meant that there are multiple albums by the same artists in the top 10.

I didn't want to try and mix it up just for the sake of "diversifying." They're the artists I've loved the most, for the longest, and it would then make sense that some of their albums are my all-time favorites. :)

I looked at the list more as 50 of my favorite albums, and that meant that there are multiple albums by the same artists in the top 10.

I didn't want to try and mix it up just for the sake of "diversifying." They're the artists I've loved the most, for the longest, and it would then make sense that some of their albums are my all-time favorites. :)

Exactly.

Using this logic, the same argument could be made for Meddle, and you have that in your Top 50. Echoes is almost 24 minutes long, yet the album is around 46 minutes total.

So I don't understand your reasoning there. While Echoes is obviously a classic, Shine On You Crazy Diamond is even more so, yet it's length in relation to the album is a negative while Echoes isn't?

There are 5 songs on Meddle that aren't Echoes. There are 3 songs on WYWH that aren't Shine On You Crazy Diamond. While it doesn't make all that large of a difference time-wise, SOYCD absolutely kills the momentum of the album due to its placement, and the album lacks variety because of it.

A better question for you to ask me would be why I prefer Animals over WYWH, though they're structured similarly. Simply put, I just prefer the songs. Animals slays for its entire duration, while there are a couple of duds on WYWH that I could do without. Pretty simple, but I think those two albums are more comparable.

So when will the final thread be up? By hwhat time tomorrow? It's 9:45pm as I post this now.

I did like Khan did, in that I tried not to fret to much, didn't spend too much time on it, it made it much easier :up:

Back
Top Bottom