Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Sign Up And Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just because I haven't been around, I need a quick summary:

I sent my list in. Is it ok? Do I need to do anything else? When does the contest start?

Yours is fine. All you need to do now is wait for the results thread to start on Thursday.

The anonymity thing won't work if anyone knows anyone well enough.

I'll see a Gin Blossoms album and know it can only be intedomine or something.

Now you've told everyone what my number one is. :sad:

Nah, regarding the anonymous listing, if it's done it should be done as a separate laugh, as in a separate thread or something reserved until after the competition. I don't care if it happens or not, but dont't release it simultaneously with the Top 100.....

The Scientist's U2 song thing, while interesting, was quite bizarre. Did he only join the forum to run that prject of his?

I sent my list in, El-Mel. Twice, 'cause I changed my mind about something right after I sent the first one in. So use the second one :)

P.S. Let it be known that my list is only a (perhaps) 90% accurate reflection of what top 50 albums are. The three-album-per-artist rule has robbed The White Album, Let It Be, Rubber Soul, Led Zeppelin II, The Man Who Sold The World, The Wall, and Animals of their rightful spots on my list. :)

P.S. Let it be known that my list is only a (perhaps) 90% accurate reflection of what top 50 albums are. The three-album-per-artist rule has robbed The White Album, Let It Be, Rubber Soul, Led Zeppelin II, The Man Who Sold The World, The Wall, and Animals of their rightful spots on my list. :)

What three Floyd albums did you have above Animals? I seem to remember you being a Meddle person, or I might be mistaken.

What three Floyd albums did you have above Animals? I seem to remember you being a Meddle person, or I might be mistaken.

Wish You Were Here, Dark Side Of The Moon, and Meddle. Meddle is there on the merit of Echoes. The rest of the tracks are good but not of the calibre of many other Floyd songs on other Floyd records. But Echoes literally takes half of the album's runtime if not more and it's fucking incredible enough that it gives Meddle a slot on my list.

Dark Side because I do think it is that good. WYWH because it is the closest album I've found to perfection and Animals because it's just downright fucking awesome.

I've never listened to Pink Floyd before.:reject:

Get Meddle. Dark Side is amazing, but Meddle is better, much more accessible and has 4 of the greatest songs of all time on it. Fearless and Pillow of Winds are beyond brilliant. Echoes is awesome, but very long - 23 mins, and you have to commit to it. One of These Days is probably my favorite instrumental ever - it rocks so hard you forget there's no words (the one line doesn't really count to me.)

I've never listened to Pink Floyd before.:reject:

Animals and Wish You Were Here are the albums to grab.

I honestly have never understood why it seems a significant number of Floyd fans rank Meddle so highly. I find it a fairly bland outing; not bad, just too many mundane and dull moments that detract from it being a good album as a whole.

I still say Dark Side is the absolute best place to start. :love::drool:

Btw, are you guys repeating artists in your Top 10 or even 20? Just curious.

Get Meddle. Dark Side is amazing, but Meddle is better, much more accessible and has 4 of the greatest songs of all time on it. Fearless and Pillow of Winds are beyond brilliant. Echoes is awesome, but very long - 23 mins, and you have to commit to it. One of These Days is probably my favorite instrumental ever - it rocks so hard you forget there's no words (the one line doesn't really count to me.)

I have to disagree about Meddle being more accessible than Dark Side. There's nothing on Meddle as accessible as Money, Time, Us And Them, Brain Damage, or Eclipse. I mean, the centerpiece of Meddle is a 23-minute long epic. Pink Floyd has recorded a lot of lengthy epics like that, but none of them are on Dark Side. There's a reason why Dark Side was their biggest commercial hit.

I honestly have never understood why it seems a significant number of Floyd fans rank Meddle so highly. I find it a fairly bland outing; not bad, just too many mundane and dull moments that detract from it being a good album as a whole.

I've never understood why Wish You Were Here is considered Pink Floyd's best album by so many. I find Welcome To The Machine bland, repetitive, and laughably petulant, while Have A Cigar does an iffy job of matching up apocalyptic hard rock with an otherwise amusing jab at record label executives. Furthermore, as wonderful as Shine On You Crazy Diamond is, there is absolutely no reason for it to take up 26 minutes of a 44 minute album. The title track is a masterpiece, so I have nothing negative to say about that.

I still say Dark Side is the absolute best place to start. :love::drool:

Btw, are you guys repeating artists in your Top 10 or even 20? Just curious.

So many differing opinions, u2isthebest, but Dark Side really is the place to start for Floyd virgins, if you want. No long songs (longest comes in at a bit under eight) and a number of 'hits' on it as well.

Yes I am I think Bowie, U2, Floyd, Beatles are all repeated.

Agreed, but let's be realistic here. Dark Side deserves to be in that group, too.

I personally love Meddle, but I can't rank it quite as high as something like WYWH because of San Tropez and Seamus. Seriously, it bewilders me that people think those two songs are stronger than, say, Welcome To The Machine and Have A Cigar. It doesn't add up as far as I'm concerned.

But that's just me.

I have to disagree about Meddle being more accessible than Dark Side. There's nothing on Meddle as accessible as Money, Time, Us And Them, Brain Damage, or Eclipse. I mean, the centerpiece of Meddle is a 23-minute long epic. Pink Floyd has recorded a lot of lengthy epics like that, but none of them are on Dark Side. There's a reason why Dark Side was their biggest commercial hit.

I would have to agree with this.

Furthermore, as wonderful as Shine On You Crazy Diamond is, there is absolutely no reason for it to take up 26 minutes of a 44 minute album.

Using this logic, the same argument could be made for Meddle, and you have that in your Top 50. Echoes is almost 24 minutes long, yet the album is around 46 minutes total.

So I don't understand your reasoning there. While Echoes is obviously a classic, Shine On You Crazy Diamond is even more so, yet it's length in relation to the album is a negative while Echoes isn't?

Back
Top Bottom