Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Sign Up And Discussion Thread - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #646
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
I look at AL as her 'Zooropa'. There's no real musical similarities, it's just one of those albums that you have to be a major fan to appreciate or truly "get" for what it is. That's not a knock to anyone, it's just how it is. I feel the same way about some albums that are revered on this forum by artists I casually like but am not really in to.
Ha, I've heard that comparison before. I can see that. The album will likely age well, or at least increase in stature over time. Ballsy moves like releasing that album tend to pay off over time, but flop on release. See: U2's Pop, Weezer's Pinkerton, etc.

BTW, very interesting choices on the Bob Dylan front.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:52 PM   #647
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I think American Life is ... okay. I have Ray of Light and Confessions on my top 50.

I really want to like Hard Candy, but the production is so overly loud and distorted (not even talking about iPod and MP3, I'm talking in my good stereo with the CD), it's unpleasant to listen to. It pisses me off something fierce.

Who thought that sounded good???
"Hard Candy" is definitely her weakest album by far, but it's got some awesome dance tracks. "Miles Away", "Dance 2Night", "Heartbeat", "Give It 2 Me", "Beat Goes On" "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" and "Voices" are all great.
__________________

__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:54 PM   #648
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Zoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: the great beyond
Posts: 36,802
Local Time: 05:28 PM
I have recently rediscovered the awesomeness of Ray Of Light. I don't think I'll be putting Confessions in my Top 50 mainly because of the awful I Love New York. But I do love most of the rest! Jump = Also, I can't believe you guys are not talking about Like A Prayer. I would have expected that one to be on any Madonna fan's list! Oh Father
__________________
Zoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:56 PM   #649
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,720
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Like A Prayer narrowly missed the cut. The lyrics to I Love New York are very silly, but I just love the song.

There are songs I like on Hard Candy, I just can't listen to them because of the distorted bass.
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #650
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Ha, I've heard that comparison before. I can see that. The album will likely age well, or at least increase in stature over time. Ballsy moves like releasing that album tend to pay off over time, but flop on release. See: U2's Pop, Weezer's Pinkerton, etc.

BTW, very interesting choices on the Bob Dylan front.
In a good or bad way? I really thought about putting Slow Train Coming or Highway 61 Revisited on the list instead of Time Out of Mind, but TOOM was one of my first Dylan albums, and I think it really helped introduce him to a new generation of people who missed out on him in his early years. And yes, I think American Life, along with Erotica (I waffled between the two of them for the list) will be seen as the brilliant pieces of work that they are in years to come. I remember reading a couple articles last year that re-reviewed Erotica for its 15th anniversary, and they both said they completely misunderstood it the first time around because of all the other controversy Madonna was generating at the time. They're vastly different albums, but they both contain some of her best lesser-known displays of lyricism, vocals, and musical arrangements.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 10:58 PM   #651
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 07:28 AM
The first three songs on Confessions are superb, especially in succession. The rest is pretty solid too. Very good album.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #652
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,720
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Every few years I listen to Bedtime Stories and Erotica a few times, to see if I've grown to like them (other than the singles).

Hasn't worked yet.
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:00 PM   #653
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,104
Local Time: 07:28 AM
By Tuesday? Shit SHit Shit. I got to get ON this.
__________________
bono_212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #654
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
In a good or bad way? I really thought about putting Slow Train Coming or Highway 61 Revisited on the list instead of Time Out of Mind, but TOOM was one of my first Dylan albums, and I think it really helped introduce him to a new generation of people who missed out on him in his early years. And yes, I think American Life, along with Erotica (I waffled between the two of them for the list) will be seen as the brilliant pieces of work that they are in years to come. I remember reading a couple articles last year that re-reviewed Erotica for its 15th anniversary, and they both said they completely misunderstood it the first time around because of all the other controversy Madonna was generating at the time. They're vastly different albums, but they both contain some of her best lesser-known displays of lyricism, vocals, and musical arrangements.
In an...interesting way. I don't know very many people who enjoy The Times, let alone consider it his best album. I think I saw Time Out Of Mind on one or two other lists. Personally, I didn't include any Dylan, though I'm sure Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited would have a shot at my top 100.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:01 PM   #655
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63,720
Local Time: 07:28 AM
I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's lists!
__________________
corianderstem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #656
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
In an...interesting way. I don't know very many people who enjoy The Times, let alone consider it his best album. I think I saw Time Out Of Mind on one or two other lists. Personally, I didn't include any Dylan, though I'm sure Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited would have a shot at my top 100.
I love Times. I don't really know what it is about the album. I definitely think there are others that are technically better, but something about it just grabs me.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #657
ONE
love, blood, life
 
U2isthebest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vision over visibility....
Posts: 12,332
Local Time: 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zootlesque View Post
Also, I can't believe you guys are not talking about Like A Prayer. I would have expected that one to be on any Madonna fan's list! Oh Father
It's on my list along with ROL and AL. It was her first masterpiece, and it's usually the one even casual M fans admit is a brilliant album. "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Oh Father", "Promise To Try", "Till Death Do Us Part", and "Spanish Eyes" are killer.
__________________
U2isthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #658
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier
 
LMP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 37,609
Local Time: 09:28 AM
For Dylan, I went with Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, and Highway 61.
__________________
LMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:08 PM   #659
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 07:28 AM
I'm pissed off at myself for not including Massive Attack's Mezzanine. But it's probably #51 or something.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #660
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,805
Local Time: 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's lists!
While we're on the topic, would you guys mind me posting all of the lists during the final results? I have no idea whether or not that's something you would mind keeping a secret. Personally, I wouldn't give a shit.
__________________

__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com