Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Sign Up And Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I counted - I have 13 albums by solo women artists or bands that are all female. I have one or two more with bands with female singers.

I'm finally gonna get around to putting my list together over the next few days. The research paper that has been monopolizing my time over the last couple weeks was turned in this morning, all 21 pages of it, so now I can finally get on this.

I should also finish up the Radiohead survivor.

I counted - I have 13 albums by solo women artists or bands that are all female. I have one or two more with bands with female singers.

I have Madonna, Patti Smith, Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, Jewel, Sheryl Crow and Dolly Parton and a couple bands that feature female singers prominently (The Arcade Fire, Fleetwood Mac)

I have Madonna, Patti Smith, Tori Amos, Joni Mitchell, Jewel, Sheryl Crow and Dolly Parton and a couple bands that feature female singers prominently (The Arcade Fire, Fleetwood Mac)

If I actually owned a copy of Horses, my list would have Patti Smith on it, too. ;)

Have you ever listened to the whole album? It's frickin' brilliant.:drool: Forget the lame rap in the title track, which was meant to sound LOL-worthy on purpose.

No, not the whole album. :reject: Just a few songs, didn't care for the sound/production. Too harsh, not very Madonna. As far as her newer albums are concerned, Ray of Light and Confessions are where it's at. I hated Hard Candy.

No, not the whole album. :reject: Just a few songs, didn't care for the sound/production. Too harsh, not very Madonna. As far as her newer albums are concerned, Ray of Light and Confessions are where it's at. I hated Hard Candy.

I look at AL as her 'Zooropa'. There's no real musical similarities, it's just one of those albums that you have to be a major fan to appreciate or truly "get" for what it is. That's not a knock to anyone, it's just how it is. I feel the same way about some albums that are revered on this forum by artists I casually like but am not really in to.

I think American Life is ... okay. I have Ray of Light and Confessions on my top 50.

I really want to like Hard Candy, but the production is so overly loud and distorted (not even talking about iPod and MP3, I'm talking in my good stereo with the CD), it's unpleasant to listen to. It pisses me off something fierce.

Who thought that sounded good???

I look at AL as her 'Zooropa'. There's no real musical similarities, it's just one of those albums that you have to be a major fan to appreciate or truly "get" for what it is. That's not a knock to anyone, it's just how it is. I feel the same way about some albums that are revered on this forum by artists I casually like but am not really in to.

Ha, I've heard that comparison before. I can see that. The album will likely age well, or at least increase in stature over time. Ballsy moves like releasing that album tend to pay off over time, but flop on release. See: U2's Pop, Weezer's Pinkerton, etc.

BTW, very interesting choices on the Bob Dylan front.

I think American Life is ... okay. I have Ray of Light and Confessions on my top 50.

I really want to like Hard Candy, but the production is so overly loud and distorted (not even talking about iPod and MP3, I'm talking in my good stereo with the CD), it's unpleasant to listen to. It pisses me off something fierce.

Who thought that sounded good???

"Hard Candy" is definitely her weakest album by far, but it's got some awesome dance tracks. "Miles Away", "Dance 2Night", "Heartbeat", "Give It 2 Me", "Beat Goes On" "Devil Wouldn't Recognize You" and "Voices" are all great.

I have recently rediscovered the awesomeness of Ray Of Light. I don't think I'll be putting Confessions in my Top 50 mainly because of the awful I Love New York. But I do love most of the rest! Jump = :love: Also, I can't believe you guys are not talking about Like A Prayer. I would have expected that one to be on any Madonna fan's list! Oh Father :heart:

Like A Prayer narrowly missed the cut. The lyrics to I Love New York are very silly, but I just love the song.

There are songs I like on Hard Candy, I just can't listen to them because of the distorted bass. :grumpy:

Ha, I've heard that comparison before. I can see that. The album will likely age well, or at least increase in stature over time. Ballsy moves like releasing that album tend to pay off over time, but flop on release. See: U2's Pop, Weezer's Pinkerton, etc.

BTW, very interesting choices on the Bob Dylan front.

In a good or bad way?:lol: I really thought about putting Slow Train Coming or Highway 61 Revisited on the list instead of Time Out of Mind, but TOOM was one of my first Dylan albums, and I think it really helped introduce him to a new generation of people who missed out on him in his early years. And yes, I think American Life, along with Erotica (I waffled between the two of them for the list) will be seen as the brilliant pieces of work that they are in years to come. I remember reading a couple articles last year that re-reviewed Erotica for its 15th anniversary, and they both said they completely misunderstood it the first time around because of all the other controversy Madonna was generating at the time. They're vastly different albums, but they both contain some of her best lesser-known displays of lyricism, vocals, and musical arrangements.

The first three songs on Confessions are superb, especially in succession. The rest is pretty solid too. Very good album.

Every few years I listen to Bedtime Stories and Erotica a few times, to see if I've grown to like them (other than the singles).

Hasn't worked yet.

In a good or bad way?:lol: I really thought about putting Slow Train Coming or Highway 61 Revisited on the list instead of Time Out of Mind, but TOOM was one of my first Dylan albums, and I think it really helped introduce him to a new generation of people who missed out on him in his early years. And yes, I think American Life, along with Erotica (I waffled between the two of them for the list) will be seen as the brilliant pieces of work that they are in years to come. I remember reading a couple articles last year that re-reviewed Erotica for its 15th anniversary, and they both said they completely misunderstood it the first time around because of all the other controversy Madonna was generating at the time. They're vastly different albums, but they both contain some of her best lesser-known displays of lyricism, vocals, and musical arrangements.

In an...interesting way. :wink: I don't know very many people who enjoy The Times, let alone consider it his best album. I think I saw Time Out Of Mind on one or two other lists. Personally, I didn't include any Dylan, though I'm sure Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited would have a shot at my top 100.

In an...interesting way. :wink: I don't know very many people who enjoy The Times, let alone consider it his best album. I think I saw Time Out Of Mind on one or two other lists. Personally, I didn't include any Dylan, though I'm sure Blood On The Tracks and Highway 61 Revisited would have a shot at my top 100.

I love Times. I don't really know what it is about the album. I definitely think there are others that are technically better, but something about it just grabs me.

Also, I can't believe you guys are not talking about Like A Prayer. I would have expected that one to be on any Madonna fan's list! Oh Father :heart:

It's on my list along with ROL and AL. It was her first masterpiece, and it's usually the one even casual M fans admit is a brilliant album. "Like A Prayer", "Express Yourself", "Oh Father", "Promise To Try", "Till Death Do Us Part", and "Spanish Eyes" are killer. :drool:

For Dylan, I went with Blonde on Blonde, Blood on the Tracks, and Highway 61.

I'm pissed off at myself for not including Massive Attack's Mezzanine. But it's probably #51 or something.

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's lists!

While we're on the topic, would you guys mind me posting all of the lists during the final results? I have no idea whether or not that's something you would mind keeping a secret. Personally, I wouldn't give a shit.

Back
Top Bottom