Interference's Top 100 Albums of All Time - Results Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have placed Life's Rich Pageant higher than Automatic but I don't know. Love them both.

#12 - The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band

7ca9a2c008a00f10982c9010.L.jpg

Well, duh.

Why is this band consider so great?! Please someone explain to me why! I just don't get it. The Beatles (along with Elvis) are the most over-rated band ever. The music is joke, these guys could barely even play their instruments, and the words could've been written by 10 year olds. The Beatles blow hard, and are the worst "Rock" band of all time. And the people that live by them are delusional. Screw the Beatles and screw anyone who likes them.

Dear Sir,

I love your enthusiasm. You remind me of a young me, before I was jaded at the tender age of 16. I'm now 18, and I honestly envy the way you can listen to an old record like Sgt. Pepper's and still have something to say about it. It's been reviewed, deconstructed, digested, excreted, sweat out, remixed, etc. to an excruciating point, but I'm so glad to hear that someone, especially at your age, can still listen to and laud it. I only wish other people knew that kindness and happiness is always better than cynical loathing. You must keep in mind that all we need, after all, is love.

LOVE LOVE LOVE

G. P.

I heard this album just last week at a friends house.
Oh COME ON! When will bands stop ripping off Oasis? Noel Gallagher has set the standard, and then, along come "The Beatles" (terrible name) and steal every trick in the Gallagher songbook! Apparently, they're from Liverpool- probably jealous of Manchester, then.
Come up with your own sound, John, Paul, George and Richard! Some of the songs are quite good, but I think they need to work on their style a bit. They look like something from the '60's, or something.
I'm all for supporting new bands, but this just takes the biscuit.
Oh, and I hear they've covered Oasis's "I Am The Walrus" and completely ruined it. Shame on them.

The most overrated album of all time. Too much McCartney on this dreadful disc.

^ Probably Laz.

Okay, so I got bored of reviewing the albums I like so I thought I'd turn my attentions to this one. Let's face it guys, it's rubbish. You had it nailed with Revolver but you threw it all away. That album had everything: great songs, wonderful, tight playing, incredible diversity and an experimentation and invention that really added to the songs and never went over the top. But then came this mess. Where are the tunes? This was traditionally your trump card but the songs on this are dreadful. "Within You Without You" is simply boring, while "She's Leaving Home" is a haughty and pretentious attempt to do Pet Sounds with none of that album's verve, charm or warmth. "Good Morning Good Morning" is inexcusable, in a clumsily executed 5/4 time and descends into moronic animal noises. Yeah, very clever. "Lovely Rita" is hardly a shocker but is ridiculously lightweight compared to any of Paul's contributions to Revolver. The only saving grace is "A Day In The Life" which is so astonishingly good it nearly redeems all. Without that song this album would be risibly bad - a dozen throwaway pop songs - but its inclusion almost alone justifies the claims to greatness.

But it still falls far short. Yes, we all know it's oh-so-very important and influential but there were so many albums that are so much better released that year alone, Forever Changes, The Velvet Underground & Nico and Are You Experienced to name but three.

schmergeant pepper indeed

FACT: Beatles fans are always the most boring and dogmatic kind of music fan.

:up: I'll give Sgt. Pepper's its props, even though it didn't make my list. Just doesn't feel like a complete album to me.

10 years ago Automatic probably would have been in the top 5 here.

Maybe I'll make an abbreviated list later. Or a list showing all the pre-'80's music I would have actually put in a top 100. :wink:

I will also agree with this.

BTW, Monster got ZERO mentions.

:hmm: I can see that. Monster's not a great album. I love a few songs off of it, but not the whole thing by any means, and not enough for it to be in my top three R.E.M. albums.

I've never gotten into Sgt. Pepper's that much. The first four or five tracks are good, and the closer is great, but everything else is sort of uninteresting.

#11 - Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

8835810ae7a0f1bf8d9cc110.L.jpg

Not my favorite of theirs, as I've said before. Still good though.

Progressive Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Art Rock, British Psychedelia, Rock Opera, Soundtracks, Psychedelic Pop, Experimental....
Translates to: pretentious crap!

Where's shredding?

How come everyone likes pink floyd IT SUCKS!!!!!!

Who needs downers when Pink Floyd exists?

Snore.. Pink Floyd believing their own hype, and dishing out crap and amazingly the fans (and their drugs) ate it up! Sonically there are a view nice moments (that can be said for 'Dark Side' as well).. but the production on some of it is so bad and dry.. the 3 middle songs are fine, but who hasn't heard this thing a million times. Put it on when you are doing laundry.. business as usual for the Floydians..

For the record, I love Sgt. Pepper. A lot. I'd MUCH rather see it on a list of this kind than fucking Nirvana.

Usually I consider Animals better than WYWH, but WYWH is an incredible album. Totally deserves #11.

Sgt. Peppers was the first album I ever bought. My love for it has never waned. It's a pretty fucking perfect pop album. A classic for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom